Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

"electric" supercharger??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryanc  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: "electric" supercharger?? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7959104899&rd=1
An electric supercharger??
Helstrm  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL You could take the heating element out of your hair dryer and try that... Don't waste your time. It will not develop enough flow to see any additional power.
bryanc  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your critical review, but have you tried it?
ESC944  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT IS JUST ANOTHER TWIST ON A EXPENSIVE AIR MOVER, its not a turbo, not a supercharger, it DOES NOT MAKE BOOST.

THEY HAVE BEEN TRIED AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN, everything from selling you plans to make your own Eram/electric supercharger, to pretty packaging, to this, all you get is a cone filter and a 12V blower, designed for ventilating boats.

GO buy one at your local marine supply store and try it, atleast you will not be spend all that cash.

Every few weeks someone else comes up with a way to resell these on eaby, time and time again... their are several websites dedicated to debunking these as much as their are to selling them.

The only thing close to this type of setup that works is the Eram. Look it up. Their hard data gives you an understanding of what it takes to make boost/power. And in the case of their design, it isnt making huge power, but it does make power, but you have to look at the power that it takes to make that power for a better understanding, even if you can move huge amounts of CFM, that in an of itself doesnt make boost. You have to move enough air for the engine to breath through out the RPM range and on top of that you have to delivery the air under pressure.

BOTTOM LINE< you will waste your money on something like that. I dont need to try it I have seen several tested first hand, the only one that works on such a small scale is the Eram, period!

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/buyersguide.shtml

Now if someone copies the eram, well that would be a different situation, go check out the Eram and do a comparison, and then while you are at it, go look up marine supply companies on line and look at their blowes and the like:

http://www.hopkins-carter.com/catalog/Blowers.htm

They average about 250-300cfm, might do some looking and find one rated to 500CFM, but they do not make boost!

What is Electric Boost?
Electric boost uses electrical energy to drive a compressor that provides additional air density to the engine, as opposed to using mechanical energy from the engine like traditional methods (belt driven superchargers or exhaust driven turbochargers).

Generating pressure by itself does not require much energy.
Example: The small tire pump you plug into your cigarrette lighter is a compressor that uses very little electrical energy and can pump a tire up to 70 psi, but due to the devices low power draw, the small rate of air-flow coming from the straw-sized air-source requires over 10 minutes to pump a flat tire up to 35psi, and over an hour to reach 70 psi. Obviously useless if you placed this device on an engine intake as it would just create a massive restriction.

Generating air-flow by itself also does not require much energy.
Example: A radiator fan uses relatively little electrical energy, and can flow 400 to 700 CFM. However, just blowing air on something does not generate pressure, unless it there is both high air-flow rate AND air-speed. This is proven when one looks at how "RAM-AIR" works, which only develops .07psi at 80 MPH, but can develop .38psi when the car is traveling at 180 MPH with a perfectly efficient ram-air scoop like the ones that are seen on Indy cars.

Generating air-flow AND pressure together DOES require a large amount of energy.

Generating pressure at air-flow rates required by an automotive engine takes a large amount of power. That is why "roots", "screw", and "centrifugal" compressors require between 15-20HP taken directly from the engine in order to generate just 5psi to 6psi on a small engine. Larger engines require even more HP to drive the compressor in order to generate this level of boost at the higher air-flow rates these engines require.

The engine belts (or exhaust for turbos) must drive the compressor at a high enough rate of speed to generate enough air-flow so as to continually provide more air than the engine is trying to take in. Coupling the rotation of the compressor directly with the rotation of the engine allows the compressor to continue to generate pressure, even when the engine's requirement for air increases. Also, each 1psi that is added to the intake at these flow rates drastically increases the amount of power required to perform this task.

There is no "free lunch."
Regardless of what PSI is claimed by ANY maker of electric boost technology, what hp gains are claimed, or at what rpms the "fan" is claimed to rotate, the laws of air-flow dynamics require a specific amount of power to generate psi at a given flow rate.

Anyone using any other style of "fan" based boost claiming ANY HP gains on a car engine without a power source of AT LEAST 680WATTS (48 amps at 13.88 Volts) is LYING, and just ripping people off.
Helstrm  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryanc wrote:
I understand your critical review, but have you tried it?

I know someone that tried it on a Honda Civic... Complete waste of money. He got more power by chipping the car.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to try it...i have a 12V blower..but these guys made me change my mind...i think +5HP is a max ! so for +5HP just throw your spare weel out of the car and drop some heavy carpets form the back...i did that and unmounted the rear seats....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
81turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that taking weight off of your car does not add HP correct?
Llamaguy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! a friend at work just told me about these and I was going to ask you but someone already beat me to it.

I was wondering if they truely work. I would think that if you could get a large enough motor you might make a few hp, but the alternator would probably take them all back to make up for the electrical draw.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of a question is that ? you cant gain hp by taking stuff off....but you can run faster..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ESC944  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Its pretty simple

Roughly every 100lbs you shed is like adding 10 hp, for the purpose of performance.

In other words you have the same horsepower, but your car will perform as if you had add 10 hp, When you are talking little things, like say laptimes or 1/4 mile times, you are looking at tenths of a second etc...

Side by side two cars being equal for purposes of lets say acceleration, assuming equal gearing and same HP, but one ways less... assuming same response times, etc... all things being equal but weight... the lighter car would be quicker to a point... traction can come back and bite you... so being light isnt everything, proper Balance ah now that is something.

Seat of the pants performance, well if you car is lighter it will accelerate faster and slow down quicker... less mass in motion... or less mass to move.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, balance is important...what we're basically talking about here is power-to-weight ratio, usually expressed in bhp per tonne...it's a common spec cited in most of the car mags.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look a Lotus. They have always had a policy of adding performance by "adding lightness".

Back in the day (mid '70s) my cousin's Mk4 Lotus 7 (built in Christchurch, New Zealand) with a 1600cc twin-cam Ford-based engine pumping out about 130hp was clocked at just over 4 seconds for 0 to 60mph. In case you don't know, 0 - 60 in 4secs is still "supercar" territory. How did it do it? Simple, the thing only weighted 1000lbs.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Khal  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yep, balance is important...what we're basically talking about here is power-to-weight ratio, usually expressed in bhp per tonne...it's a common spec cited in most of the car mags.

Quote:
adding performance by "adding lightness"

I have a similar argument with one of my mates nearly every week!

He's a V8 muscle car nut and just doesn't seem to comprehend: Performance is not judged solely on how fast a car can cover a quarter mile!

Some local drag racers have street-legal cars doing sub-10 second quarter miles. But there's a damn good chance their girlfriend's hatchback would blow its doors off along any decent stretch of twisty road!

A classic example was last year or the year before, when Motor magazine tested a bunch of sports cars and the Renault Clio dusted 'em all through the twisties! Mate, nothing much this side of a Ferrari F360 could outrun it, much less keep up with it. This thing could hang with WRX's and the like, and put the big sports sedans to shame.

They're not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. And when the road opens up, they're just left behind. But it's why I like the 924 Turbo (and Porsches in general): Lightweight, well balanced and plenty of power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: