Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Distributors do they wear out? mine keeps ruining my cap?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/8 is about 3mm.
I would expect .5mm is normal.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohim wrote:
The distributor runs on a couple of solid bushings that are pressed down into the "tube" section of the distributor casting.

Any competent machine shop can disassemble the distributor, and replace the bushings if they are worn.

Although they all look alike and will plug into the head, there were different distributors, and they work differently. The early Euro cars had points in the beginning, that's one part number. The US cars have always been pointless, but there have been a couple of different vacuum advance setups and the type of pointless ignition was changed.

So, I would hesitate to try to plug in a distributor with a different part number.

A small amount of play in the distributor shaft is acceptable. I would suspect a generic cheap distributor cap and rotor may be the real problem here. In my experience, when a distributor is wobbling during rotation, and it is due to wear, the damage or "cut/scrape" line in the inside of the distributor cap will not go all the way around. If there is scraping/cutting all the way around, I would suspect an incorrect rotor (the tip is too long), or a incorrect distributor cap (too small inner diameter). The clearances inside of a distributor have to be tight between the rotor and the terminal contacts inside of the distributor cap for the spark to jump properly for good performance. If the cap or rotor are incorrectly sized, scrapping is going to occur, or the air gap will be too large, causing a weak spark.

I would recommend that you make sure that the distributor housing bolted to the back of the head mounted so the distributor is located as far down as possible. The reason is because if the distributor was incorrectly mounted in the high position, when the hood is closed, physical contact would occur between the hood and the distributor cap, which would push the distributor cap at downward angle, and could cause the distributor cap to move over sideways, causing contact between the distributor cap and the rotor.

Then, you should bite the bullet, and buy the correct Genuine Bosch Distributor Cap, and Rotor to install, and see if the problem was cured.

I cannot believe I didn't remember the two sets of bolt holes. A post that was made 2 years after I was born is the one that saves me from going bald! This exact issue has plagued me for months and I too was on my third cap and rotor and it kept chewing up spark plug leads because the hood was resting on it. Have been literally pulling my damn hair out trying to figure out what it was, I even spaced the engine mount down with some washers to no avail. Tried all combinations of cap and rotor and the thing hasn't been able to make it 100 miles without chewing one so now I'm very excited to hopefully get her back
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of funny, when it's not you anyway! I would never have thought of that. In fact, I didn't realize the distributor was mounted to something other than the head itself until I was messing around back there with heater hoses. I also had to laugh at "The US cars have always been pointless." Bet that was a hot joke with gearheads in the 70s when electronic ignition started to become common...
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
That's kind of funny, when it's not you anyway! I would never have thought of that. In fact, I didn't realize the distributor was mounted to something other than the head itself until I was messing around back there with heater hoses. I also had to laugh at "The US cars have always been pointless." Bet that was a hot joke with gearheads in the 70s when electronic ignition started to become common...

All I can do is laugh about it lol. I sit here and think why on gods earth is there two sets of holes and then I look at the vw audi stamp on it and remember lol. Oh the joys. On the bright side the distributor looks a lot lower profile than before and isn't smashing on the hood, crazy what happens when I put something together the right way
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: