Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaffine  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: springs Reply with quote

Okay I'm going to be swaping in 4 wheel discs on my 31. I figure it will be a good time to upgrade the springs. I will be doing DE events with it. I want to maintain stock ride height. It will have 16" Fuchs with 205-55 performance tires on it. It does not have a rear sway bar.

What sping rates should I get?

Can a rear sway bar be added with the snail shail trans?

The best desciption of an atom boils down to something unknown is doing we don't know what.
Sir Arthur Eddington
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear sway bar with snailshell is the same deal as with the other trannies; do you have the mounts, if not you add them with the same kit.

As for springs, you'll at least want to match them to a big rear swaybar; just a question of how much rear bar you wish to add. Stiffer front springs will also improve pitch control when braking.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I am using 250 lbs springs, 23mm front with 18mm rear bars, discs,Poly bushings, Bilstein HD gas shocks, lowered, with 16 in flat dish rims, performance tires 205x 55. Nice firm ride and not too harsh on the 931.

924 track car
25.5mm front bar, 21mm rear adjustable bar, Bilsteins, 944 suspension [trailing arms and front struts] with 15 Fuchs 7 and 8s, with track rubber and lowered with poly bushings and it is much stiffer than the turbo. Basically the same car except lighter.

The 931 is a daily driver while the track car does see street duty buy not too much with dual exhausts with Cherry Bombs. For a guy my age it is loud.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 220 Lb stock height front springs from PerformanceProducts. I went for stock height because there was some tire rubbing in front on sharp turns with 205/55r16's on 6x16 Fuchs, so lowering didn't seem like a good idea. The 220lb springs plus 28mm stabilizer bar corrected it.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
kaffine  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I get a thicker rear sway bar or stiffer torsion bars first? One of my parts cars has a rear sway bar so I can get the mounts from it then buy a thicker sway bar and stock torsion bars or run the stock sway bar and get stiffer torsion bars.

I'm thinking right now on 220pounds up front I'm still trying to figure out how to determine the rear spring rate and sway bar sizes.

The best desciption of an atom boils down to something unknown is doing we don't know what.
Sir Arthur Eddington
John Brown  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 220 or 250 in front you maybe want to increase the rear torsion bars for balance. Some used 25.5 (951 I think?) or maybe up to about 26 or 27 aftermarket. Don't get carried away with the torsion bars; they get real stiff real fast. Or, at least install a rear bar.

Our street 944 has 250 front and 25.5 in back. We left the 14mm rear anti-sway off and it seems fine. Bilsteins. Contrary to Vince' experience we think this setup is a bit much for comfortable street use. Acceptable, but barely.

There are some monographs floating around with the equivalent spring rates; or just benefit from our collective experience here. Note that for equivalent usage we all ended up at roughly the same rates front/rear.

For reference, the stock front is about 150 with 23.5 rear. A common track setup is 400 and 30 (way too harsh for street). Our track car is 250 and 27 with a stock front bar and 18mm rear (from a late 944). We intend to go up to 275 front and compensate with a 19mm 968 rear bar. But, we are seriously racing and that last bit of balance in important to us. On the street we wouldn't know the difference.
80 931 - #931 44Cup
99 Escalade - tows track cars
gone but not forgotten: original 924.org car - 82
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: