Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Found Reasonably Priced Rear Swaybar Upgrade Hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gohim  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Found Reasonably Priced Rear Swaybar Upgrade Hardware Reply with quote

After driving 924 cars without a rear swaybar for over 20 years, while refusing to pay $150-$200 for the Weltmeister Retrofit Hardware Kit, I finally found a dirt cheap source.

I was returning a tie rod end remover that I had out on the Free Tool Load Program at one of the local AutoZone Stores, and found the that AutoZone recently started selling a line of replacement swaybar links, bushings, and brackets.

They have sets of (2) polyurethane bushings (bushings sized for different diameter swaybars) packaged with the (2) brackets, (2) plates and (4) bolts for $16.99. The U-Bolts with nuts go for $9.99 a pair.

Hardware is nicely finished yellow galvanized.

$27 from a local store, with no shipping charge beats $200 for the Weltmeister Kit ! ! !
brentil  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find a link to this product on their website?
924guy  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autozone website is the worst, i can never find anything i want, everything is vehicle specific and they dont list "universal " items..you can only get very specific info to come up, no cross references either, and once you enter a vehicle, it locks you in.. ugh..
anyhow, that is awesome news!! im going to my ocal AZ and take a look first chance i get.. ive got a 14mm rear sway bar sitting in my garage ive been lugging around for years, hoping to find the mounts for a reasonable price..

thanks for posting this GoHim!!
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
gohim  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I found the swaybar mounting hardware, I wasn't really looking forit, so I didn't have the measurements for the parts needed with me.

So, I don't know what the AutoZone Part Numbers are for the parts that would be needed. You will need a set of U-bolts ($9.99 for the pairt, and you need to know the diameter of the torsion bar carrier tubes), and a set of the center mount bushings and brackets ($16.99, and you need to know the diameter of the rear swaybar you are going to use).

You would still need to get the parts that hold the ends of the rear swaybar to the trailing arms. If you get the excentrics (mount to the trailing arms), from a later Series 1 924, 931, 924S or a 944, then you get the bonus of some ride height adjustment hardware, which was not originally installed on the early 924. The early 924 came with longer bolts installed through the trailing arms on cars that came with the rear swaybar, that will still work, but no ride height adjustment. You will also need the swaybar end links (which are swaybar specific). Hopefully you got them with your swaybar.

Last edited by gohim on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my notes here, my torsion bar carrier is 13" in circumference. That translates to a diameter of 4.138" or 105.11mm - real close to 4-9/64" (which is 4.141") and a bit larger than 4-1/8" (4.125").

Our now local-est Autozone (which is only 2 miles closer than the previously closest Autozone, suddenly appeared not long ago, and has a new Advance Auto Parts in its' final stages of construction directly across the street (and that's 3 doors down from little ol' Nick's Auto Parts and ~1/3 mile down the same road from NAPA)) - has some u-bolts in their suspension parts display, but the largest is 3-1/8". As I recall, the brand name on them was "Superior" and the rest of the suspension parts - poly bushings, stabilizer bar mounts, drop-links, etc. were from "Energy Suspension".

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Rob O  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to chime in here because my information contradicts Smoothie's post above and he is rarely wrong.

However, I just went through this this summer with my '81 NA. I have the adapter kit and 14mm swaybar that I bought from a board member. He explained that I needed to replace the u-bolts when I bought it. I ordered two stainless steel 3.5" u-bolts from JCW for $9.99 each.

Here is a link to the item I used:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-922/c-10101

These fit perfectly on my car and the guillotine portion of the u-bolt serves as a solid base for the flat plate that the swaybar bushing sits on/is clamped to.

Rob
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's good that you said something because if you're right and since I know I'm right (just double checked), then there are at least 2 different diameters of torsion bar tubes floating around out there. -So that'll be something that needs to be checked before going out and buying u-bolts.
Actually, I was hoping I was wrong because I could go for a couple of those nice new SS replacements about now.

One of my bugugly u-bolts -
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/smoothies931pics/detail?.dir=a7d5&.dnm=dbd3.jpg&.src=ph

and a couple more pics showing the rest of the rear bar linkage (aftermarket Weltmeister) -
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/smoothies931pics/detail?.dir=a7d5&.dnm=be54.jpg&.src=ph

Rob O  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's 30 degrees and dark outside but... I do not want to be the source of bad information here. I just double checked the size of the u-bolt by measuring the distance between the threaded ends of the bolt. It was actually more like 3 and 5/8th or 3 and 11/16th's (hard to tell on the car). At any rate, now I am sure that I did buy the 3.5's. Perhaps the turbo's have larger carriers?

A related note, the first set of u-bolts that I picked up fit around the carrier tube properly but were too short. The JCW's were just right.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, interesting I havent seen 1 of these aftermarket bars installed before, they sure do hang lower than a factory bar,

in regards to the carrier size, I havent seen any different diameter ones, I have worked with both NA and turbos, snailshell and audi and they all seem to be the same OD
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob O wrote:
It was actually more like 3 and 5/8th or 3 and 11/16th's (hard to tell on the car). At any rate, now I am sure that I did buy the 3.5's.

That suggests your torsion tube's just a bit over 3.5" - if you put a 3.5" u-bolt on and its' ends spread out to 3-5/8ths or so.. Not nitpicking your measurement here - just getting encouraged that maybe I could squeeze some 4" u-bolts on an approx. 4-1/8" tube...

My first measurement was of the circumference, then did the math.. Second measurement was of the distance between the ends like you did and I got the same result of ~105mm both times. Probably safe to assume you have your u-bolts positioned roughly the same as mine, so they'd have to have used more than one size torsion tube. If you have a Haynes manual and don't mind, look at pages 223 and 224. First, on pg 223 where it says "Fig 10.5 Early" change that to "Late", and on the next page change "Late" to "Early". They had that printed bassackwards. -Then see which suspension you have. I have the later version that's illustrated on page 223, but without both the integrated stabilizer bar mounts and snailshell gearbox mounts. -Maybe we can make sense of which suspensions got the thicker and thinner tubes.

-Or did you locate your u-bolts at the dents in the tube?.. There's a dent visible in the pic on pg 223 just to the left of the stab. bar mount. If yours are there, that might account for you being able to fit a 3.5" u-bolt.

Rob O  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a look under the car. I definitely have the 'late' style carrier on pg 223. My clamp is about halfway between the dent and the outboard arm that curves up towards the rear of the car.

I wrapped a string around the tube for a rough measurement of the diameter. I came up with a circumference of 12". That works out to 3.82" diameter and I used the 3.5" clamps. The four inch clamps may work for you. I can tell you that I did not need a hammer or any tools to fit the clamps on my car, they slid on by hand. It was a snug fit and it took a bit of fooling to clear the underbody, brake lines, etc...

Rob
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...whoops!
I did a re-measure while I was changing wheels and had better access - found mine's actually 12" circumference too. Obviously had the tape measure wrapped around something else in addition to the torsion tube while working blind before..
Well everything's as it should be Rob O - you stick with the architecture and I'll confine myself to architectural photography. That way no-one gets hurt. (I think that makes sense.. - it was you that mentioned at some point working in or going to school for architecture, right?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: