Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Help matching spring rates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Help matching spring rates. Reply with quote

I have a 931 as most of you know. I am wondering which springs would better match my set up. I have the stock torsion bars in the back with Koniís Sport yellows (I have no plans to upgrade although I have 944 Turbos S bars in my garage). In the front I Have Koni sports as well and I am debating using a 200lb spring or a 250lb progressive rate. My car is not a daily driver so I don't mind the bumpy ride. I do plan on doing some autocrossing and maybe some DE's but no serious track work. Any insight would be appreciated.
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Koni Sports, and stock rear torsion bars, I would say go with the 200lb front springs. The 250lb springs in the front with the Koni Sports will make the front too stiff when used with stock rear torsion bars.
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is where I was leaning, I actually have the 250's on the car now, but when I swap the suspension and engine into my new shell I believe I am going to go with the 200lbers. I was going to do the torsion bars but I don't fee that it is necessary for my style of driving. Thanks Gohim.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed; if you were to go with the 250's, I would at least consider a rear swaybar upgrade as well.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did forget to mention that, I have a 23mm from bar and a 18mm rear bar. Does this change things?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had stock height 220 lb springs on the front since '95. Part of my original reason for selecting them was to cure a tire-to-fender rubbing problem on turns with Fuchs wheels mounted. They solved that problem and no complaints from me on the ride quality driving it daily. The 200lb and 250lb'ers sold for instance by Perf Prods lower the front by approx 1.5" - in case that's something you need to consider. I couldn't go lower because of the Fuchs.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is already lowered front and rear.

It looks like I should have been more specific in my initial post. Thanks for pulling them out of me guys!
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have mentioned also -
28mm front bar (first attempt at eliminating the tire rub)
22mm rear bar (second attempt)
220 lb stock height front springs (finally got it right)

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Mikri184  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: springs Reply with quote

I had a friend of mine do the math on this some time ago and came up witht he heavier front springs the 27 -28 mm torson bars would be the balance, It was actually 26 point something but they don't make that so the 27 mm was the right choise, this was done with using the 250lb. I would assume anything less could be compensated with stiffer shocks. I can tell you this much from my autocross experience, that the better my suspsension got over the season, the better I was able to drive the car. I ran stock sway bars with 944 turbo koni struts and bilstiens on the rear. 16" wheels with Falken Azenis and I can take a 20 mph corner at over 60 mph without loss of traction. So as you are thinking of doing your suspension also think of using a good quality tire such as the Falken Azenis, there are also other brands out there more expensive, but ask around in the autoX circles and you'll find that the Falken Azenis are money well spnet and have excellent traction. by the way, my tires are 16/55/205. on 7 and 8 inch rims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: