Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Synth Oil in Older Engines and Filter Magnets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Synth Oil in Older Engines and Filter Magnets Reply with quote

First off, I've just acquired a 1981 924 NA with 125K+ miles on it. Only two previous owners, but subject to some neglect and stupidity by the last owner. Have no idea how well the engine was cared for.

Question regarding synthetic oil...there's little doubt that older engines that have developed "slop" can suffer leakage from synthetic oils because the rings may not properly seal once a synthetic oil gets in there. I have a good friend who is rebuilding his 1969 Mustang Mach I 427 Cobrajet as a result of this mistake. Clearly, I don't have as much at stake, but I really don't want to get into an engine rebuild if I can avoid it. Has anyone ever actually experienced this problem after putting synthetic oil into an early 80s car of this type? I'm more interested in anecdotal evidence than I am opinions about the relative merits of synth vs. dino.

Second question: PerformanceProducts.com is selling an interesting product called Magne-Strip. It's a powerful, flexible magnet that wraps around your oil filter. It claims to trap small metallic particulate in the filter so that it can't recirculate. Has anyone actually used one of these, and are there any opinions about whether this contraption actually provides any benefit? It's relatively cheap, and reusable, so I can't see the harm in trying, just wondering if it might actually work. Here's a link:
http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=Magnetic+Oil+Filter+Band&productid=103932&producttype=10
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in regards to the synthetic oil. I run it in my 1978 though I have no idea how many miles I have on the car, but the cyl walls look recently honed so I am unsure. although you will not have any issues with leaking past rings, what you will have issues with is leaking past the main seals and the camshaft seal, and possible the oil pan and valve cover, so what you could do is to remove the engine from the bay, and replace the rear main the oil pump seal, and the oil pan gasket (which is probably leaking now anyway), and the valve cover gasket, reinstall fill with synthetic and you will be fine.

in regards to the magnet, not sure about the wrap around one, but if you are worried about metal particals then get a rare earth magnet and on next oil change put it on the backside of the oil drank plug and it will trap them all in the bottom of the engine and will be removed when you change the oil next.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the oil pan gasket (which is probably leaking now anyway)

Actually, this engine is tight as a drum. Not a drop of oil on the ground, and nothing noticeable in the exhaust, although I'm sure it burns a little due to the residue I noticed when replacing the plugs. I'd rather not go to the trouble of pulling the engine and replacing the seals just to do an oil change, so I'll probably opt to wait on that operation until things become a little more dire

Regarding a rare earth magnet, are you referring to a specific product, or will any old rare earth magnet do?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any old earth magnet, but try to get one as large a possibly with out having a lip that hangs over to knock it off.

and in regards to the no leaks on the pan, then I would just drain the oil and install synthetic.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect that the filter medium should catch the metal anyway, but I can't see if hurting...

As for synth, that's all I run in my 924's... Mobil1 in the turbo (original engine, 166kmi and counting, haven't taken it apart at all) and Redline synthetic in my racecar - expensive stuff, $8/qt, but worth it for that expensive motor, obviously a new (freshly built) motor broken in on standard Castrol dino oil, makes great power, and probably won't leak anymore now that I have the breather fixed... never had any issues leaking previously with synthetic.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fitting that Vaughan and Lizard were two people to post to my First Ever Post on 924board! Still friends to this day...cheers fellas!
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it another oil question?
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I hadn't learned to use "search" yet
maybeoneday  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off not a whole lot of experience with 924 in particular, but a lot of experience with auto mechanics in general and I have heard this oil theory many times. My opinion (based on what I have seen) is that using the correct weight is more important than synth vs dino in older cars (ie too thin can cause sealing issues in older cars with ring wear), but even in these cases it probably only makes the ring wear issue show up slightly earlier than it otherwise would have. Having said that I almost always use Dino or semi synth 15w40 or 20w50 in older cars (depending upon manufacturers original spec)

On the second note almost anyone with a modern auto trans car has probably used something similar to the magnet that you are describing. For example when you do an auto trans service on an early boxter tiptronic you will find 2 or 4 small rare earth magnets in the bottom of the trans sump for exactly the reason you describe (removing small metal particles). I am always surprised by how many metal filings are stuck to them when you do the service. This is probably telling me that something similar in the sump may not be a bad idea. Having said that you would probably be better with the trans magnets placed directly in the oil sump/pan and only changing them when you do a sump/pan gasket. This would equal about the same amount of time as a trans service (probably less even), and even though I am surprised by how many filings end up stuck to them, there always seems to be enough room left on them when you do a trans service . I would guess that the trans magnets are more magnetic too, but this is only a guess.
maybeoneday  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps just saw the date of that post... now I get it. well you can add that reply to the archive. 10 years on 924 board congrats.
pcelenta  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of years back I took my 308 to a shop for an engine oil change and a gear box oil change. This well know independent ferrari shop put synthetic in the engine and the gear box. the car never leaked a stitch of oil the 10 plus years prior...after the synthetic I was getting leakage from just about every fiber/paper seal...and the gear box situation was a disaster....the noted 1st to 2nd change (same as on our 931's) was virtually impossible to get in with out a horrible grinding sound. switched it all back to dino and things got back to normal....engine oil leakage stopped and gear box was once again functioning properly. perhaps on a freshly rebuilt vintage engine it is a different story. from what I heard about the gearbox...the Porsche style synchros used in th 308 gear box do not like synthetic.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybeoneday wrote:
opps just saw the date of that post... now I get it. well you can add that reply to the archive. 10 years on 924 board congrats.

LOLZ, sorry, was having some nostalgia and fun!

Back on topic, FWIW, I have been running synthetic oil in ALL of my toofahs since the very first one, and have never had any issue. I now exclusively use Brad Penn 20W-50 due to its ZDDP content.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using AMSOil in everything sin 1980 without any issue.

The only thing that can happen to rings (provided you use a good brand) is that most upper level brands use a much better detergent and this will clean the carbon out from around the rings. Also the leakage problem is usually because the seals get the years of accumulation cleaned off and then begin to leak. Lots of leaks are kept sealed by deposits.

Good synthetic oil is far superior to any other oil in every way. It has much better lubrication characteristics including higher film strength and shear capacity, it has a much better additive package, it has a lower temperature pour point, a higher flash point.

I don't know about other synthetics but I have used and have had no problems with AMSOil in anything. I use their oil, grease, gear oil and auto trans fluid. The only non synthetic that i don't use is CV grease because AMSOil doesn't make any for this purpose.
2013 Chevy Cruze
maybeoneday  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8carreragts wrote:

Good synthetic oil is far superior to any other oil in every way.

including price and I am yet to be sold on the actual benefits in real terms of a $10 per l synth over a well respected $5 per l semi synth. I guess what I mean is that sure in a lab test they are better but does that extra ever save you anything in real terms, the figures are so close I would be betting on a well maintained engine I could pay for a new engine in semi synth savings before the wear difference would cost me my engine. I just very rarely see the benefit in really expensive oil.

ZDDP content is great and especially important in 924 engines due to cam arrangement (not as important in roller arrangements) and probably most important in the break in period after a head and cam rebuild. I havent considered this too much with the 924, but in lots of engines the cost of increased damage to the cat converter due to the Zinc in ZDDP and other complicated scientific stuff almost offsets any advantages after the initial break in period (this is summerised from a recent AMG engine seminar I went to). Plus its nasty stuff that has human health issues and really damaging and long lasting marine life issues if it gets into waterways. So as far as ZDDP I am really unsure now, benefits yes, downsides yes, probably more benefits than downsides in 924s (but not too sure) but the latest thinking in the automotive world is on new OHC engines (and in particular the M156 AMG engine) only during initial engine run in and in the period after a head (heads) rebuild.

Sorry I just really like debating oil probably one of may favorite topics. Brings up so many different opinions none really right or wrong, its like BMW Vs Mercedes, Chev (Holden) Vs Ford, Moskvich Vs Lada (I dont even know if this is a thing but it sound like it should be), people just have what they like and no one ever wins the debate. I would love to hear more opinions on oil anytime please.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With better oil (AMSOil) you can run extended oil change intervals if you use their bypass filter. I change my oil once/yr. or 12,000 miles with a filter change at 6 mo/6000 miles.

Financially it is good. Also, what sold me originally were 3 things. First, the 924 that i was driving was difficult to start when the temp was below 0 F. When i changed to AMSOil I went to a banquet and when I left to go home the temp was -20 F. The car cranked like it was warm.

The second was with the transaxle. When the temp was below 0 F i needed to warm up the car some before i could let out the clutch. Otherwise it would kill the engine. (drag from thick gear oil) After I changed to AMSOil the problem was gone.

Third, I used to own a Buick Skyhawk with a 1.8L turbo engine. At one point I lost oil pressure -- went to 0. When i put a mechanical gauge on it it also read 0. I had a used car warranty and they had me bring it to the dealer that I bought the car from which was a ford dealer. They, as the service manager told me, ran the hell out of it and couldn't figure out what was wrong so they sent it to the Buick dealer across the street for repairs. While it was there i stopped in to see what they found and talked to the mechanic. He told me that he drained the oil and clean oil came out, he expected to find a very slugged up engine where the oil was changed after the problem to try to make it appear that the oil had been changed routinely. But he was stumped when he took the engine apart and clean oil came out of everywhere. He couldn't believe how clean the engine was inside. What had happened was the oil pickup tube cracked and the pump was sucking air. all the engine needed was a new oil tube. The bearings and the cam had no measurable wear or burning. The turbo was sent to a rebuilder and found to be in perfect condition as well.

So I use it in everything. as far as I am concerned, other oil is junk.
2013 Chevy Cruze
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: