Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Australian delivered Carrera GT's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carris  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Australian delivered Carrera GT's Reply with quote

Hello

Does anyone know anything about Australian delivered Carrera GT's
Porsche australia documents say there were 25 delivered to Australia in 81,(makes sense as 25 was the local rule for homologation, they bought in 25 of a lot of things around that time) my understanding was all 937's were 1980 and all RHD's went to the UK. I ask as I bought a 1981 924 Turbo with carrera bodykit over the phone, I flew 700k's to pick it up and it turns out to be full carrera spec, as in everything from engine spec (intercooler etc)to interior and body, all factory parts and immaculate condition apart from a few easy fixes. So either it was delivered as one, or they got all the parts from a smashed one, unless you could buy things like Carrera hoods, (seems to be the full orignal hood, not just the scoop) and full interiors over the counter. Anyway any info would be good.

thanks
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Carris, you might be one of the luckiest mofos around

I would have to say it would be a great time to call your Porsche dealer with the VIN and ask them if they can tell you if it was an origonal 937 or a 931.

but as you will probably hear this from more I will say it first PICS please

also you could get ahold of your PCA chapter out there and you can pay a certain fee and get a birth certificate from them which should tell you as well.

I do have a couple questions though, does the cars rear bumper stick out more than the 924 NA? is the rear spoiler have a bigger lip than a 944? is the car equiped with 4 bolt (disc drum) or 5 bolt (discs all around)?

if it has 4 bolt, has a 931 or 944 spoiler, or has a regular ROW bumper than it is a look alike done to full spec. still a find.
Carris  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the spoiler, it looks pretty big but haven't done a back to back with a 931 or 944, does look big though. the rear bumper is a proper carrera one, Has 5 lug 4 wheel vented disks with 16 inch fuch rims. I don't really think it is original but the car the parts all came off must of been as it it has.

Full PU bodykit
Original Carrera Hood
Original Carrera Intercooler
Red pin stripe interior and carrera seats (not sure if you could get that on 931's)
Not sure about the turbo, looks modified, 3 inch stainless pipe from the turbo to the back, haven't driven a standard 931 but this thing goes like a rocket. Only boosting to .5 bar by the boost gauge so more to come I would think.

Pics to follow when I borrow a camera

cheers
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that motion!!! Lucky SOB.

Post the VIN, should be of the format WPOZZZ93ZBN7ZZZZZ (Z's may be replaced by other digits). If it has a "1" (or "2", for RHD?) instead of the 7, it's a replica.

Another quick indicator is to look for a flush-mounted windshield. That's a little harder to replicate.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, just to fuel my jealous rage, tell me what you paid for it... no, wait... don't

...oh OK, go on, torture me. What sorta bucks?
Carris  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an exact replica, it might of been delivered that way though also, so I am told.

Last edited by Carris on Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it in good nick? They seem to list for about AU$10,000 'round here. Minus 3k and we're looking at AU$7,000 -would I be getting warm..?

Then again, macBdog, another banana-bender on the board, got his '80 Turbo for AU$4,000 but kye, a sandgroper, paid AU$9,300 for his '81 Turbo last year (I think it was last year).

I don't mean to be rude by asking. I'm genuinely interested in what something like that is worth. I have an '81 Turbo and I paid AU$13,000 for it a little over three years ago. I know it sounds insane, but the car really was in near-perfect condition and had some very nice performance upgrades, all obviously very professionally done.

There are two 924's (both NA's) listed in the Queensland Trading Post right now, one a '79 and one unknown. The '79 is at a dealership and the unknown is private. Both are listed at AU$9,000... hugely optomistic in my opinion! And there's an '80 NA listed at CarPoint for AU$8,000, which I reckon is also pretty optomistic. They'd really wanna be in perfect condition!

So, as you can imagine, there's some conjecture as to what these things are really worth down here...
Carris  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah is hard to know what they are worth, 13 for a very nice Turbo with good mods is about right, there is a nice one for sale down here for 12,000.

As far as mine goes it is in excellent condition, apart from a few things, looks a million dollars, I think the carrera is one of the best looking porsches around myself, so would be cheap are twice the price. Looks much better than any 944/968 they all look soft compared to a carrera.
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're sig still says "Carrera GT", have you figured out if it's genuine yet?
gwsg  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

There was a genuine CGT advertised on this board just over a year ago by 'auto exhaust' in Melbourne. IIRC he was asking $18,500 but a search of the records show that his posts have been deleted.

Cheers
Geoff
kye  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khal: shortly after I bought mine around the start of this year I saw a 931 advertised over here. it was worked up with new Koni's, and a few other bits and pieces like that, and they were asking $12k or $13k (around the top of my total budget I remember).. no idea if it sold or what happened to it, but just another data point for you

and it sounds like it's a great find even if it's not a factory job - a job well done is a job well done, regardless of who it's by!
mrobbo612  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris
ive been told by a couple of people who worked for porsche around that time that 4 carrera gt were imported to australia, one of which was involved in a accident in the first 12 months and deemed a total loss. the salvage was purchased and all the carrera gt components transferred over to a series 2 924 turbo, any required components damaged in the accident were purchased new from porsche. this is the silver carrera replica advertised and i beleived sold a couple of years ago from the canberra area. it was sold as a replica built up out of genuine parts and advertised for around $18,000 aus. if your chassis number is not correct for a gt then this is probably the car you have got. A genuine gt was advertised on and off through porsche car club of melboune in 2000 for $28,000 but that was a red car not a silver one
Carris  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for that info, that is the car that I bought, I flew to canberra and drove it back. Sounds great to me, if you have any other info that would be good.

PO traded it in on a boxster, the canberra porsche dealer put it on the web, really badly advertised, just said 924 turbo, carrera bodykit, no phone number etc, I saw it a couple days after it went up, just that pic to the left, found the number on the net and rang up and bought it over the phone and flew up there.

that is the car in my profile, I can't work out how to put any pics on here
Carris  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another gauge for value, this must be the top of the heap for 931's by the sounds of it, not keen on the brown interior though, looks the same as my NA 924, which I just sold today.

sorry if this link doesn't work

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=1927590¤t_rec=1&total_rec=3&sort_type=&make_id=48&model_id=319&badge_id=12031&state_id=-1&search_distance=25
Khal  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Resale on mine's not looking too bad then!

I've got the same brown interior but my seats are full leather (no cloth inserts) I'm not a huge fan of the brown either but you get used to it...

Actually it looks black-ish in this pic, but it's brown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: