Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weight reduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemming  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Weight reduction Reply with quote

Now that the interior is stripped, I'm looking for further ways to reduce the weight of the 924S. I will plan on stripping the undercoating once the weather cools a bit. In the meantime, I'm removing the headlights, headlight motor and brackets, and the windshield washing resevoir and related hoses. I have an AC delete kit ordered and that will come off next week (I hope). What else is expendable?

Oh yea, anyone have a dIY on changing from power to manual steering? My power steering pump went out on me at the last DE, naturally, I cut the belt and kept driving I really liked the feel but I believe the manual rack will work better (and save weight?).
jesse wall  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: manual steering Reply with quote

You can make the change in hours, you need the short shaft that has a splined fitting swivel joint on each end the length is different for power and manual steering ,the change can be done without removing the steering column , but it takes a little time and effort , if you have any specific questions , will be glad to help , a rebuilt unit is the best idea but may be a little pricey , check with 944 online , think the one from early 944 will work , saves quite a bit of weight will try to weigh old one tl let you know for sure but it is a lot and worth the effort , I have a custom cage with door bars and front bar across dash area , aand the cage is 1 3/4 dom more than it has tobe , with nascar type supports behind seat area , twin vertical bars so cage is heavy , with the dash , ac steering pump and half a tank of gas car is 2322 , that is with lexan replacing all glass, with the doors and hood in fiberglass and a little undercoating gone think it wil weigh 130 lbs less and with two gallons of gas at finish line will be 50 more lbs less , oh also lightened bumpers and remodeled shocks so they are now just brackets , bringing bumpers in , I think it looks better , Think that Vince Ponz has a description of how to do this on the site, , any way I hope to be under 2300 lb withcar driver and several gallons of gas , after removing more undercoating, will approach the 2250 super cup bottom weight limit , btw do not forget battery , I have a genisis which does great and weighs only 13 lbs , saves about 20 to 30 lbs depending on your current battery , I would not reccomend removing alternator , a real pain to keep car charged all the time and hear that electronics on these cars does not like low wer voltage from tired battery , at all , Jesse
Lemming  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse, thanks. Saturday, I did a one day DE on a short/tight track and I am more convinced than ever that I want a manual setup.
Lemming  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 924S on the scales at Roebling Road this past weekend. The car, with 3/4 tank of gas, helmet and gloves (but not me) weighed in at 2,550 lbs. I also still have two heavy seats in the car (Corbeau Forza's) and have not removed the heater core and associated fans, nor the undercoating. Still has all original body parts and glass and one big heavy battery.

I do have some weight to add in terms of finishing the cage and fire system.

For GTS challenge purposes, can someone give me a good rear wheel horsepower figure. I will eventially get this thing on the dyno, but for now I'm just looking for ballpark figures.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 944Spec guys have been doing some dyno runs recently - check them out on the NASA Forums (nasaforums.com, I think).
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
jesse wall  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: 924s weight Reply with quote

Latest weight on 88 924s is 2205 this is with little gas , no driver , one race seat and fiberglass doors ,hood, lexan hatch and windshield and side windows, stock bumpers , trimmed a bit and bumper shocks empty and shortened, all wiring still in car , and undercoating still not attacked , figure at least 80 more lbs to go on undercoating and wiring , , manual steering rack in place , no heat , air or headlights , , can maybe get 35 more lbs off with glass bumpers hope to get 20 off driver , still will weigh more than want to my cage is 1.75 com .95 with nascar bars and high and low front hoop , little heavy but it is around me, keep you posted Jesse
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoot mines probly around 2500 lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CarreraGTSCS  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be a wise guy or insulting in any way but can the driver stand to loose a few? I remember back in my biathalon racing days that guys were spending big bucks on the latest aluminum/titanium/carbon fiber frames, parts etc but had more than a few extra #'s hanging on their bones! I lost a lot of weight about 5 years back when I started Formula Vee racing because I couldn't fit into my old nomex! I'm basically a cheap ass so there was no way that I was going to buy a new flameproof so I starved myself and started running again. Felt pretty good too.
1969 911T
1967 Austin Healey Sprite
1961 wife
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's always a good thing to be in as good shape as possible when racing; cuts down on the fatigue, which helps keep you sharp over the whole race. That not only makes you more competitive but also keeps you safer, with more mental faculty left to make snap decisions to avoid bad situations...

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that guys at the Randy Pobst level tend to, for example, run about 10k intervals (6.2mi). Sounds like a helluva lot, but with adequate motivation, you can get there... I am, do it about twice a week. Now I want to keep building the stamina up, hit some of the 10k races in the spring, and try to work my way up to a marathon. Gotta find out how you do in fact train for those.

I hate running, bores me completely, but with auto racing as a motivator, I can keep going for a long time! How bad do you want to win???

Not to mention, of course, the independant helth benefits. I recently found out that there's a bad history of CVD (cardoivascular disease) in my family, and I'm on the firing line; very glad to know that I'm already in good shape, helps me sleep at night knowing I'm keeping the odds as low as possible. Of course, then there's diet too...

It amazes me to see people get out of their cars after a 30min sprint race, only 15 miles, all sweaty, out of breath, and exhausted... not gonna be able to do any enduros in that shape!

Of course, let's not get into how much the F1 guys train... hey, if I had that job, I'd find it a whole lot easier to be in that shape - getting paid to work out!!!
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jesse wall  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: yeah but you are ! Reply with quote

Just to let you know that you sound like a wife , sure I said getting 20 more lbs off but buying the super light carbon shift knob is more fun and besides , scraping off undercoating and getting rid of wiring , fitting fiberglass parts gives a guy an excuse to got to the shop and smoke cigars and drink beer or diet pop with the boys , half the fun is having an excuse to do something , in reality we go to weight traing and scrunch therpy every tues and thursday other stuff helps too best thing I do is track time , traack time , track time , tires, track time ,track time , you get the picture , I think that no matter what I will stay slow Jesse
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be slow until you've been out there long enough to realize that you'd driving like a girl, and finally pull your head out of your ass and start racing. At least, that's what happened to me last time I was out in my car... got real fast real quick!

But I agree 100% about fitting 'glas and BS-ing and drinking beer in the garage. My fabricator's coming over this afternoon to do just that.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
John Brown  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan, believe it or not, I used to run some 10K races, moved up to 10 milers and started on the 'what do I need to do for a marathon'.

In my case, it was short lived. When I started doing the miles required to prepare for a marathon; old injuries that were not previously apparent surfaced and interferred with further running. At some point there is an order of magnitude difference in the strain and you must REALLY want and be able to continue.
80 931 - #931 44Cup
99 Escalade - tows track cars
gone but not forgotten: original 924.org car - 82
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately found out how much racing takes out of you. I used to only think that this applies to endurance drivers and Nextel Cup drivers but racing even our little 924's really knocks me out especially in the heat and humidity.

I know I don't do enough to be in top shape but I've started to drink more and more fluids between sessions and not just coffee like someone I know I also try to relax in the hammock between sessions, keep cool sit or lay down, but as us drivers know, there is so much nervous energy waiting around to go out on the track that believe it or not contributes to our fatigue. After I'm buckled in, helmet on, and I'm waiting on the grid, I close my eyes for a couple of seconds and that really seems to relax me.

Next season, I'm going to invest in a cool shirt system because it will allow me to be more comfortable out there and not worry about the heat especially in July when it's 90% Humidity and with the heat index the temp is over 100 degrees.

Makes me wonder out loud within earshot of potential participants in next years' 12 Hour Endurance Race at Summit Point in maybe either Jason's Jetta or Ryogi's 944 , could I personally do it? How many co drivers would we need to give it our best shot?

John how did it go this past weekend in the 44 Cup race at Summit? Any problems? What were Gerry's times? Drop me an email when you get a chance.
#53 Porsche 924 (sold '06)
#35 Porsche 924 (R.I.P. '06)
#141 Porsche 944 944 Cup
FLAG Motorsports
"Fast Lucky And Good"
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jury's still out at this end, but I doubt I will be planning on it... doing an enduro in another's car on a track I don't know is a real hard learning curve, no matter how much other seat time you have. I'm also still trying to juggle my goals for next year, have a few possibly conflicting interests, such as getting to Road America, setting a good ITB benchmark, and building a new car... plus whether or not my wife finds a job already may play into things too, real soon...
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Lemming  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarreraGTSCS wrote:
Not trying to be a wise guy or insulting in any way but can the driver stand to loose a few? I remember back in my biathalon racing days that guys were spending big bucks on the latest aluminum/titanium/carbon fiber frames, parts etc but had more than a few extra #'s hanging on their bones! I lost a lot of weight about 5 years back when I started Formula Vee racing because I couldn't fit into my old nomex! I'm basically a cheap ass so there was no way that I was going to buy a new flameproof so I starved myself and started running again. Felt pretty good too.

5'8" and 150lbs, I'm about 5lbs over ideal body weight. I do agree, in my offroad motorcycle racing I see guys who are 225lbs (BMI > 30 by far) and are spending money trying to make their bikes lighter.

And you don't have to make the arguement to me about the health benefits of weight loss, I make a living studying the effect of body fat on diseases such as diabetes and cancer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: