Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Some hard truths for the 924n/a vs 944, 924S, and 931 (long)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to adding fuel at boost. I know that this is an air flow system, but, can you just put another injector in the intake? That's what the Chrysler guys do. They are getting a lot of HP out of their 4 cyl. turbos.
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Back in August I was reading this thread. Then I shiped out, I had some water leakage problems in my 924, so when I returned after 10 weeks I had a terrarium. Did you know that the big glass hatch makes the interior of a 924 a very humid place?
Well I had had enough of this, so to get back to topic, sout of, you mentioned the 260Hp Mustang GT's weight to power ratio. So when I needed a new car, because of living the Pac NorWest, and it being the season of perpetual rain, I started looking. I considered Mike Browns 931 but my better half didn't want me buying a another project car. The newest of the 477 series cars is 968 built in '94. These are still commanding $20,000 asking prices. So I went down to my local Ford dealer and bought a Mustang LX. Yep, it is more expensive than most any 944T I could have bought, but the reason for buying it was not to turn it into the ultiment inturpitaton of a Mustang. It was to buy a daily driver. It has a 3.8L V6 that gets 29mpg w/ 190Hp, and weighs appox. 3100Lb. (16.3:1 weight to power ratio) That is better than the later 944 by your figures. But more importantly is that it is new. So when you think about the base price of $17.2K (I paid 17. and all that with new car waranty and also can get it for 0.0% finnacing, it may not be a Porsche but it sure is a good deal.
It is hard to stay this without sounding like a prick, but thanks Jon for giving me the idea of checking out the Mustang. And there is a butt load more aftermarket parts suport for it too, btw bolt ons can boost the 3.8V6 to 220+Hp.
Because I have a real love for the 924, and maybe a screw loose, now I have enough parts now to build a really nice 924 or Turbo, so I am keeping my 924 and 931. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
nazri  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basicly there's no hope of getting 200bhp outta a na 924? cant stick a 944 turbo engine in?
D Hook  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis:

Welcome to the Mustang Daily Driver Club. I bought a '94 5.0 GT convertible this fall so I would have something to drive without worrying if I would make it to work daily. It was a great price and only has 16,000 miles on it so it's practically new.

But it'll probably be a long time before I part with the 924.

Those that have that need for speed/horsepower, I wish you good luck and keep the rest of us informed on your results.
Pat  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nazri, of course theres hope of getting 200 HP out of the 924 You can turbo or super charge them (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on the supercharging?) or mess with the compression and/or displacement. But these all cost money and if you want reliability tweaking ussually removes what little is left in a 20 year old engine. Barring all that you could just buy a 931 and mess with it or get a 951.
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get 200 HP out of the 924, but you have to spend probably about 6000-10000 dollars and have a lot of time, and resources to dick around with.. YOu'll have to buy EFI, MAP or MAF, get a wild cam grind, get the engine balanced with all new parts underneath (stronngggggg ones), new pistons, have a 931 head, so that you can rev it up to 7000-8000 RPM....it's possible yes but do you have a year and a lot of resources..
nazri  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a 2-3 thousand to mess with. been saving for years but still havent done anything to my car yet is all, cos i'm not sure wat to do.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nazri,

Iwould suggest that you start a new topic if you are looking for suggestions.

To save time, spell out what the car is and what you want to do with it e.g. "it's a 1979 N/A in good condition and I want to make it go really really fast in a straight line" or "I want it to corner better (the roads around here are very ordinary)" or "I want to race it", that sort of thing.

And the money you have to spend (and the currency).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: