Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

fuel lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badenkb  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

ANyone know where I can get / what can used for replacement fuel lines ? I know Porscheshop.co.uk offer them, but they are at £200, which is a bit steep for two steel tubes...
Thanks

ian
kevrl  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I have had this problem on my 931, the fuel pipes are way too expensive. The low pressure pipe (fuel return) on mine corroded above the rear torsion bar carrier, and about 5 years ago the corroded section was cut out and replaced with a rubber section by Paragon Porsche in Sussex (UK). I haven't had any trouble since then. It cost £45 inc labour.

Recently whilst having other work done by Harvey Motorsport in Essex (UK) they told me that the high pressure pipe has corroded in the same place. They said that there were now special high pressure rubber pipes which could be put in place of the corroded section, and that they use them in their cars without problems (they race 924's after all), they did point out that you had to be careful and use very high pressure pipes though, and be careful how they are joined to the existing pipe. I haven't had the work done yet, but that at least gives you some options.

You could also try http://www.porsch-apart.co.uk as they have a large supply of used parts.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
badenkb  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I agree that the joints are the problem, I was also wondering if copper - nickel pipes could be used as they can be flared easily and are acceptable pressure carriers (used in brakes after all).
Ian
kaffine krazed  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper pipe/tubing is NOT used in brakes. It can't withstand the high pressure that the brake system has. They should hold up fine for fuel unless there is a chemical compatbilty problem just check the pressure ratings before you buy it to make sure it is rated for the pressure in the fuel system.
badenkb  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

I'm chasing some good automec prices for fuel lines. Will let you know how it goes.

Ian
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper tubing can withstand high pressures of braking. It is used in refrigeration with pressures around 500PSI and it holds up fine. The only reason it isn't used in brakes is because of how soft it is . It can't take rubbing up on things much or else it'll break.
marky522  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an 81 924 i can look and see the cond of the fuel lines if you would like.

Mark
badenkb  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I ordered some fuel lines from Automec this morning - total cost £52- compared with £176 at the porscheshop.co.uk.
If they are OK - I'll let the board know.

Previous poster - thanks for the offer of looking at your fuel lines, if the ordered ones are no use, I'll get back to you.

Thanks

ian
badenkb  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

Automecs fuel pipes arrived yesterday - out and return, with fittings. Should be a simple matter to bolt them in . Good price and service.

Ian

77 924 project
kevrl  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

Thats very interesting, I didn't know Automec made Fuel lines also. I have a full set of Automec Copper/Nickel brake pipes, they have been excellent and really easy to fit. Automec also custom made a new Hydraulic Clutch hose (931) for me after I sent them the old one as a pattern. They charged £25 (approx) compared to £60 from porscheshop.

Let us know if the Automec Fuel lines are easy to fit. Are they Copper ?

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: