Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

strange sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjd  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a '78 which had been sitting for a while. I'm driving it now and I'm getting a weird whistling sound when I hit 3200 rpms in all gears even in N.
It sounds like it's coming from the exhaust.
any ideas would be great!
Thanks in advance!
PJD
Blas Costagli  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a exhaust leak somewhere.
Timing belt choud be "crispy" and too tight.
Check the vacuume lines...
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistle? Are you hearing it in the engine bay or under the car.... or are you not able to put it in a general location? Does the sound rise and fall with engine rpm or does it remain steady?

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924
pjd  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's coming from the bottom of the car, it hits 32rpm and really get loud, like a heat shield vibrating?? But I can't see or find anything vibrating. Thanks for helping!PJD
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well try to get under your car... carefully and move the heat shields around. If you can make them squeak in a mannor that sounds like what you are hearing.... well then that is the issue. Tighten up the screws holding them, and or add a bit of high temperature material in between the offending shields to stop them from rubbing. You could also remove the shield that is causing the problem and wrap the pipe in that area. BE warned that some have had pipes fail this way though. Some pipes made of inferior materials can not handle the heat when wrapped. See my site under "my projects" look at exhaust section. The pictures of the new exhaust that you can blow up have a picture of my wrapped header.

Good luck

Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: