Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 GTR LeMans bodykit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: 924 GTR LeMans bodykit Reply with quote

Just put in an order yesterday for the full 924 GTR LeMans style bodykit from GT-Racing; hood scoop (already have glas hood), entire nose, big rear quarters. Will be sure to take plenty of pics as we go through hanging them; there's sure to be plenty of work to add the proper mounts and bracing. This will be done, as best as we can mimic, as the factory did the original LeMans bodywork hanging, with the possible addition of some dzus fasteners to make the stuff easier to handle.

I'll be sure to show pics of where we cut the wheel well to fit big rims.

Which is gonna be the fun part; finding a relatively inexpensive way to push the rubber out closer to the bodywork (which I think will be about 1' wider than stock?) so that it doesn't look like I'm driving on 4 minispares (space saver/doughnut spare tires).

Cha-ching!
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Neil924  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to post a step-by-step for the board? This seems like a popular topic without too many answers.
I bet it will look great.
Good Luck.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the idea.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool Vaughan though You know what itlle look like if you dont get the
tires out there where they should be Itll look like bigfoot (monster truck) with the little tractor tires on that they use when the truck not out on the track...
You know bigfoot the ford monster truck.

Last edited by Joes924Racer on Fri May 08, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using GT Racing flares then I suggest you use 1/4 spacers if you are using 8 in rims. Stock 944 spacers made the tires rub on one side.
As for putting on the flares I bolted and two part epoxyed them on.
One question though, GT Racing did not have rockers for his setup. What will you be using for them. I told you what I used. Godfredson claims that the factory made up the rockers from scratch. I thought I would use rockers from a junker but nixed that and used baseboard heating panels to finish the look. They came out perfect. Welding is a must.
Good luck.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'm not doing the Carrera GT bodywork; the part # for the rear flares is 265, you can see them in the GT-Racing catalog, or just look at the pics of the "Boss" car, #8, on 924.org, or the #86 BFG car. Stupid wide. I haven't made plans for the rims yet, but I suspect I'll probably end up running 7's and 9's or 8's and 10's, most likely 17" dia.

I'm a little suspicious of the need for rockers. I need to look at a bunch more pics of GTR's, talk with the model experts, try and figure out what they did. Looking at some, it would appear that there was no rocker panel extension, and I'd like to confirm that, but my initial plan is no addition to stock bodywork. If there was no real factory standard part, that would be consistent with Hank not having a mould, since all he has is copies of the factory stuff. I guess we'll have to see how it looks when the fronts and rears are on, too, see if it really needs rockers.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need pictures I have step by step pictures of my car work. Just ask and I will send them to you.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
mikecoupegt  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Quick question on this ... Reply with quote

Are you putting this kit on the Blue Race car or the turbo street car? Just wondering.
924guy  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was corresponding with Mike from IFC recently, who spoke highly of Hank over at GT-racing.. he also informed me that gt used his panels to make their molds.. and that ifc made their molds from original carrera's.. with that in mind i noticed that ifc does offer rockers... whether theyre from the original or just thoughtfull additions, i dont know...but its something to ponder and worth checking into.. Mikes url is http://www.allporscheracing.com/GT.html , hell be revamping the site and updating prices soon (prices are going up.) obviously ive no affiliation, both Hank and Mike seem to be very knowledgable and both have answered my questions when ever ive asked. I just wanted to relay a bit that i learned and hope it helps..

im considering using ifc flares and rockers with an early 944 nose at this point,i like the idea of 'glass fenders and the weight savings, but the drivers down here in florida are nuts, i think ill be more comfortable knowing ive got some metal up front. The super wide rears are great for racing, but im not really fond of the extra space and gaps from the rear view for street applications on the GTR...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit is for the 81 931. Installation will be with advisement from a local GTR owner, so we expect it'll be fairly close to authentic (though that's not the primary concern).
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fenders, without question the wildest parts of the set, just showed up!!! WOW!!! They're STUPID WIDE!!!

I'm gonna have to move the tires out 6+ inches to get near the rear fenders (judging by a quick test-fit on my 931)!!! These are way cool...
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a 4 wheel axle and then you would have it made. I have pictures of my car with a Thing 4 wheel axle.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Just like the Auto Union cars - a dually raceecar!
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
CBass  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, more traction means more speed

Or you could just fit a nice set of those Lindsey Racing Fuchs, ya know, the 17x11 modular wheels based off of an original Fuchs centre, and a pair of Corvette rims
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a F1 car once , that had 4 FRONT wheels , that would go well with dual rears , add all wheel motion and have an 8X8 924
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: