Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Paging Vaughan: Lexan Rear Window
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Paging Vaughan: Lexan Rear Window Reply with quote

Hey Vaughan,

Did your rear lexan window survive the impact? I never saw it in place...

I am going to order one of these up from this Dave fellow as well. $325 sounds great. Although I am going to be sure to get it tinted as well...

What are molded-in NACA ducts????? Examples?

You have any pics of it on your car?

Can you put a frame on it and have it mounted like a regular window?

Thanks,

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, Sounds like some interest here! We should talk Dave into a group buy for a lower cost and possibly saving some shipping charges.
Your thoughts??? Dallas
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that thought. If you can set something up, it might work. Dunno how many we would need to order to get a good price. Honestly the price he is asking isn't bad...

924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really, how cheap do you want it??? He's selling them at about half the price that GT Racing wants, and he's the one who makes them for GT Racing!!! The shipping is expensive, no question about it - but they also sent it to be delivered much more quickly than I needed. Be sure to discuss your delivery time requirements up front with him - mine was air-freighted.

But no complaints about the quality of the delivery, or the packing job (big effin box!).

No, it did not survive the impact.

It wasn't on the car. That was an IT race, and it's not IT-legal. Instead, I shattered a perfectly good 931 hatch. Though I suspect it probably would have survived the impact, both due to its lightweight and flexibility.

A NACA duct is a generic shape of duct designed, based on NACA testing in the 40's or 50's (recalling that NACA was the predecessor to NASA) to provide an inlet in airflow on a pressurized surface with minimal disturbance to the surrounding airflow. The hood duct (not scoop) on the 931 (not the CGT) is the classic NACA duct. The term refers to that characteristic shape.

I'm not sure what you're asking in regards to the NACA ducts - I recall that he sells the rear quarter windows with NACA ducts molded in, is that what you're looking at? They would, I believe pop in the seal just like a glass window, or perhaps they would be glued in, depends on the size, you should clarify with him before ordering. Keep in mind, however, those glass rear quarter windows are not really that heavy, though. Not as cost-effective as the rear hatch glass replacement.

I haven't quite yet finished gluing the lexan into the hatch frame - had one spot that didn't stick. Plan on using a lot of clamps, like the cheap a-clamps. It doesn't like to stay put. I have to go back, re-glue that one spot that popped off, clean/trim it up, and reinstall the spoilers. PITA, but a low priority for me, really.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a try! Talk is cheap. It is the 500.00 bill when said and done that makes it hard to swallow. That was my main point for a group buy. Ship to a central point then ship from that locale. I am in Des Moines and you are in Minn so there are 2 that can go in one shipment. For us 2 we can just meet up to deliver. Dallas
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan,

Can you show some pics of the rear hatch when you get a chance? Curious how your frame is turning out...

If your out a rear hatch, I have 2 rear hatches (one from a 76 and one from a 77) and will donate one to PUB Racing plus shipping or just come pick it up anytime just 30 minutes north of Minneapolis, MN.

NACA duct, eh? Now I 'member... I don't need that. Looks kewl though.

I am planning on having my rear hatch window tinted. I want dark. Started this tint project and want to complete it

Dallas, Actually, I don't think $500 is unreasonable. If there is a significant savings by sending both to the same address then I'd be interested. If you want to talk with him and find out, that's kewl.

- Jon

dgz924s  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, Not unreasonable at all it is my budget that says to save some cash if possible!

Just hard for me to justify 500.00 for a big piece of molded plastic that will save me 60-70 lbs to race for a "pat on the back" meaning no cash to win for the cost of the lighter hatch. Guys win with glass and with plastic if you know what I mean. Heck I can buy some 88 pistons and get more speed with close to the same cost in a matter of speaking.

I am a COST vs. BENEFIT kinda guy! Thanks Dallas

But I will do some calling to Dave and see what we can do! Stay nearby I will post upon speaking with Dave.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you ship it up north to Baudette, MN??? Then I can ship it home from there...

Just kidding! I'll be up there next week, though... but those aren't the ones I need, I need spoilered ones... but actually, Jeremy's been kind enough to hang on to one for me. Really, I have still one spare hatch (frame and wings), all torn down, just waiting for glass (or lexan!). I have 3 hatches across 3 cars; 2 glass, one lexan. It's kind of a logistics thing... have to keep a glass one on the street car for durability, though that could be used in a pinch if replaced... the race car wants a glass one when raced in IT, but a lexan one for GTS Challenge or 44Cup... and then the white car only needs one when being driven, but it's parked in storage now, and don't know when I'll drive it...

Thanks for the offer, though...
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
AndyFranklin  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely get one, so a group buy would be beneficial.

I'm also close enough that I'll drive over and pick it up. So we could maybe do a "pony express" thing. Vaughn is reasonably close to me, so he could pick up his and for others that are not far from him - and so forth. Or if people are not in a huge hurry I could deliver to the Glen or Beaver as the season progresses.

Or - if anyone wants to attend the Neohio Competition Clinic March 20th, you could pick it up then. I'll post more details on the CompClinic later, but it will be a valuable event to go to.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got three for sure buying, I just didn't know Vaughan was going to as well... that would make it four...

924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll just load up a few in the Suburban!

No, you guys have me confused, I don't need any more lexan hatches. I already have the only one I need.

Speaking of me going to OH, I plan to be down there Saturday, for the OH/IN NASA Banquet at Speeds in Columbus (www.speeds.cc)... Andy, that near you?
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought so

Well, that makes three of us that want to buy.

Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just currious where are they made? What state.

Eric
E-mail me for parts you need!
Drive Fast!
ryoji  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is at PA, closer to Pitts. Mine was shipped out from there, I think.

They have one like a hatch glass and another oversized one which overlays and bolt in by dozus fastener. Once you ask for the scrach resistance, it is little gray; No longer clear color --- according to him, it is what a jet uses. He also told me that there is yellowish colored one. (To run rennsports reunion II, it must NOT be oversized and gray or clear color. To run 944Cup, either type is fine with gray --- I chaecked with the director, too but Dave already knew the rules)

When I placed my order, there were already several orders from a racing group in West. Manufactured date was after my order but got it in a couple week. With scratch resistance in or not; clear color or tinted, he had the same price --- but I mentioned my situation running 944cup at the beginning so he knew the one I ended to buy before I figured out with the race director. So it may not help as an example.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $500 and some elbow grease you could get an air/water intercooler set up.JMO.
2008 GS500
2016 DR650
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: