Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lexan hatch...where to buy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Lexan hatch...where to buy? Reply with quote

I remember you guys discussing rear lexan hatches. Where can one get one and how much do they run? TIA Dal
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around about $325, plus maybe $100-150 to ship... freight... try a search, there should have been a post by yours truly in the racing section within the past year with the info...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yoiu mentioned the most important thing...cost. I checked the posts and found the one on Dave's in PA....Thanks! Dal
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a quite a bit of money, is it mostly the cost of the lexan, or having it done?
Are these for order, (stocked), or made to order?

I ask because I have a friend over in NH. with a big oven.
I bought my Crosley from him, and we've kept in touch.
He owns a powder coating company.
He's going to bake me a new lexan windshield for the race car when I'm ready for him to do it just to help me along. He's a good guy.
He's also offered to give me a real good price on any powder-coating needs I have.
I'm sure with his big oven and know how he could see this through pretty easily.
He restores vintage racecars, lotus's, ect...
Should I inquire with him about this?
I mean if he could bake up 4 or 5 of them or something, and have them all sold, he may wish to take on the project.
He's a couple 100 miles away from myself, but once my car is back on the road, I'd take the trip over to him to help see this through. Then together we could could be in charge of finding the best way of shipping, I'd take care of packaging, and getting them out to you guys for the shipping route, cost, you choose.
And in all honesty... if I ended up with one out of it I'd be super excited to do it.
Besides... I kinda owe the people here a little something back.
Just a thought.
Let me know what you think.
I'm in touch with him quite often.
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh yeah , get a price . we would ALL buy one ,if the price was right .
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with him and he would consider it... he's not to keen on the idea though, but would consider it if there was enough of a damand for one.
For two, Seeing it's a compound curve it would require the use of FMR or FMR50, don't recall for sure, He said that stuff is real expencive in the first place. Then ofcourse if he used MR50 it would cut cost, but it would need to be done in pieces (3). The sides would come out better if done in the FMR. Unless he knows exactly what everyone is looking for he's not even sure he wishes to give it much thought.
He claims he's pretty good with the stuff, but there are others out their who specialize in this kind of thing and could probably give a better price.
Right now I guess he's a little backed up with powder coating. BUt I guess if it could wait until he was caught up, he knew exacly what was wanted, and we could give him an order for a dozen or more... he'd give it more thought.
He told me the Crosley windshield I require would not be too hard to do, but a job like this would take much more effert and care. I see his point.

I'm not sure he'll do it... so don't take this too much to heart. But with more input on what's wanted, enough interest, and the time.... it's a thought.

Does anyone have a photo of one that was done that could be used to better see what is expected?
Are they all one piece, or are the side curves done seporate?
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is encouraging, or discouraging, but I'm hoping it's not too much of either.
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he must be doing well . he's not all that interested in exspanding his product line , even though he has the means to do it .

I think the key area is price , everything else is flexible . structure , looks , 1 or 3 pieces . if there 3 pieces , would they have a flange to attach the pieces together , or will it need a frame work ,with spares running down the sides of the hatch .
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thikn he'd be alot more willing to do it if it was a 3 piece deal.
What would be used to fit the 3 pieces together I really do not know. If someone could come up with an idea on that it would help.
Then thinking about it if it was a 3 piece deal, it would also save on shipping a small long box for the sides and sleaves, (if you will), and a reenforced flat for the main glass.
From the way he was talking, this would end up being about $200- in materials.
The next thing that would sell this idea is, several identical Jigs so to speak. If these were suplied for him, it would limit his accual work on these, and the majority of his "cost" would be the oven time... nearly 24 hours. This is why his being able to do more than one at a time would save us money. 24hrs tieing up the oven is still an expence to him not only for oven time, but oven time away from other things. It would be a weekend extra job for him. So the easier we can make it the more likely it is he'll do it.
Can't blame him.
He doesn't "need" the money... but doesn't want to lose any.
He also said if you rush lexan it bubbles in side.
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk if 1 of us was to go to the trouble of making up the forms , it wouldn't be that much more trouble to buy a few bbq gas burners and corragated sheet metal to make a simple oven and do it himself . thanks for looking into it .
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for a company that repaired the luggage containers that go into the airgraft cargo bays and i'll say this-lexan is a beotch to work with.(But it IS bullit proof from a 30-30 @ 100 yards)
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured the forms were the easy part.
And even easier if Fiber glass holds up to 250 degree temps.

A little electrical conduet, a bender, a little fine construction mesh, a mig to tack it together, then fiber glassing materials.

I played around with all that stuff for the last two summers.

I was going to begin building my own car from the ground up this past summer, but I came across the Crossley, and with a race history at Philly hill climb, Daurea, Jefferson, Vine Land, ect... I had to have it. It became my summer project.
I still have the old 73 MG engine and tranny I was going to build the car around.

It's not that hard to fabricate stuff like that.
It's the oven and the know how to deal with the Lexan I thought the big deal was baced around.
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to try it... keep in mind you're also supposed to use some special felt under and over the lexan, (from my understanding).
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if it had an overlapped seam on the corner it wouldn't bother me.

It would be for racing and who looks behind anyway.

The idea is something that would keep the aero dynamics.

If it required Nascar sytel bracing I'm all for it, even if the corner was the brace.

Can you not use the old glass as the form?

I've toyed with idea of two glass hatches (frame removed) as the form. One fixed, the other suspended. You lay the sheet between the two and start the heating cycle. Slowly lower the moving glass form down onto the sheet to as it starts to sag or become flexible. The sheet may naturally form down to 80% of the curve itself and the other glass and its weight would finish the molding.

The glass hatch should hold up to hotter than 350 without deforming.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with doing it yourself from my understanding is;
unless you heat it at a constant temp. for a long period of time, you come up with bubbling inside the bends where the gases do not evaporate correctly, and this also can break the MR film on the lexan. This is why you have to use the FMR lexan, ("F" for formable)... Yet the gas issue remains.

Ok... here the deal. Maybe I should have said this earlier.
He's a perfectionist. He collects the vintage race cars and restores them as show pieces.
He probably assumes that everyone wants these to be show quality, not race quality... if you know what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: