Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Do crank scrapers work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opmatt21  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Do crank scrapers work? Reply with quote

I'm a new 924 fan looking into buying one soon. I came across this in ebay and was wondering if anybody has experience with this on a porsche or any other car. I've never heard of them before and it sounds like one of those As-Seen-On-TV gimmicks. Thanks -Matt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7919818911&rd=1
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one I'm using on my racecar, from crank-scrapers.com. Excellent product, minimal fitting required (though not completely bolt-on - they never are). I would recommend them (from these guys), if you are in need of one.

Do you need one? Hard to say. If you're not racing and not rebuilding a motor - I certainly wouldn't bother. I still don't have an oil pressure sensor plugged into my data system, so I still don't know how much the scraper helps on turns. I do know my engine pulls hard and holds oil pressure OK, but there are many things I've changed, so who knows how much of that is a crank scraper.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Kevin Johnson  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Do crank scrapers work? Yes. Reply with quote

opmatt21 wrote:
I'm a new 924 fan looking into buying one soon. I came across this in ebay and was wondering if anybody has experience with this on a porsche or any other car. I've never heard of them before and it sounds like one of those As-Seen-On-TV gimmicks. Thanks -Matt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7919818911&rd=1

We just did dyno work on a 993cc SOHC three-cylinder Metro engine. The design was one that attaches to the main caps like on the 924.

This engine also has a full windage tray that isolates the sump oil from the rotating assembly.

Horsepower increased an average of 3% (over four pulls the data ranged from 2.5% to 3.5%). Power increased from roughly 2750rpm to 5300rpm.

Laugh! I sure wish we had the money to actually be one of those "As-Seen-On-TV" people."

Kind regards,

Kevin Johnson

Ishihara-Johnson Crank Scrapers
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! 3% on a Metro engine... just enough to whip the cream off a custard, as the Brits say? Still, interesting to see such a gain even with a stock windage tray.

Welcome to our forum!

I'm hoping to get my car on a Dynojet before too much longer here, now that it's broken in. Of course, it's not entirely stock, being race prepped - 9.5:1 CR and 0.040" overbore, balanced and blueprinted... but other than that and a race exhaust, it's fairly stock... will be sure to post results...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Kevin Johnson  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard back from a Honda racing team that received some scrapers for evaluation about 7 months ago. They picked up between 1.5% and 3% hp depending on rpm with the D16 scraper -- this despite the girdle structure that runs along the mains.

Kevin

924RACR wrote:
Very interesting! 3% on a Metro engine... just enough to whip the cream off a custard, as the Brits say? Still, interesting to see such a gain even with a stock windage tray.

Welcome to our forum!

I'm hoping to get my car on a Dynojet before too much longer here, now that it's broken in. Of course, it's not entirely stock, being race prepped - 9.5:1 CR and 0.040" overbore, balanced and blueprinted... but other than that and a race exhaust, it's fairly stock... will be sure to post results...
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you make them for the 944 turbos?
Kevin Johnson  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeDanger wrote:
do you make them for the 944 turbos?

Hi Mike,

I would love to -- I just need access to a short block for measurements. Hoepfully someone in the FL area will be able to lend one out.

Kind regards,

Kevin
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check with broadfoot racing i believe they are in florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: