Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Brake Pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benino  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Brake Pads Reply with quote

I have a 1980 N/A 924
I want some good brake pads for autocross or track driving. What do you recommend? I saw some ferodo pads at performance products but I'm not sure if those are actually autocross/racing type pads or just standard pads made by ferodo. I called and they didn't know anything. Any ideas? and web sites or stores I should look at?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Porterfield R4-S pads. They're pretty cheap too.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Benino  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you consider cheap? also where can you order them. I found them on a porterfield website at $79 but there is no link to buy them. . . just a price.

does the 1981 924 have different brakes than the 1980? because they only list pads starting form 1981.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Brown  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes are the same all years. Only difference is disc/drum or optional disc/disc installation.

I can't imagine needing more brake than even stock pads would supply for autocross. We've used stock pads on road course's and even there they work fine for 20 minutes of severe use. So try any brand you can obtain readily and withing your price range.

That said, search for Carbo Tech if you want to experiment.
80 931 - #931 44Cup
99 Escalade - tows track cars
gone but not forgotten: original 924.org car - 82
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want relatively cheap brake pads for autocrossing, you probably get away with good street pads.

You could try PBR/AXXIS Metal Masters, or the PBR/AXXIS Deluxe (white pad), or the Ultra ceramic pads that PBR is selling now.

A few months ago I tried out a Internet Auto Parts Supplier: "www.stopshopanddrive.com". Excellent prices, good instock percentage, fast, free shipping when order exceeds $50.

They have the Friction Tech pads for less than $15. The PBR Metal Masters, Deluxe, and Ultra ceramic pads are priced between $26 and $35 a set.
Sleykin  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohim,
What did you do to get to the parts catalogue? I punched in 1987 Porsche and it gives me an error no modles found. Tried 86 Jag and got the same error??
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if this link works -
http://www.stopshopanddrive.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1B201MVWU&drillid=6&modeldesc=800693@@924+S+1987+%2D+1988&clientid=stopshopanddrive

To get there, on the first page ( www.stopshopanddrive.com ), scroll down and click on "Porsche Parts"
on the subsequent page, scroll to the bottom and click where it says "click here"
subsequent pages give you model year selections, then model, then parts

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, entering the year and manufacturer right on the first page works for me. You probably tried it during a temporary site outage.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times that I have order from "stopshopanddrive.com" the parts arrived the next day. That's great service for good products, good prices, good service, and fast shipping.

Apparently, although the company itself is in NJ, the warehouse that I have been getting parts from is actually in SoCal (South Bay Area).

But...

I have noticed that the site has frequent problems linking to the branch outs to the individual parts catalogs.

If you get an error message, try reloading a couple of times, and if you can't get in, try again later.

The cost of the front caliper seal kits for VW (Golf, Jetta, Passat, etc...) is about $3 for the front (OEM Lucas/Girling). That's right, $3 for two front caliper seal kits. New OEM Behr radiators less than $50, Lobro cv boots $3, Bilstein steering boots $3. Meyle (German made) brake hoses $7 front or $9 for the rear.

They even offer genuine Continental belts and hoses (between $4-$21).

The 924S/924/944 ATE Original brake caliper seal Kits cost more than the VW parts. I looked them up on a lark, but don't remember exactly how much (something like $8 each for the front and $17 each for the rear?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: