Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Pictures of motor mount set up/ brake booster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Pictures of motor mount set up/ brake booster Reply with quote

I thought I would post a few of the pics of how I built my motor mounts as well how close the brake booster is when you do a conversion. It was a huge job moving the booster upward and outboard closer to the strut tower. You will notice the notch out of the strut tower to make room just for the brake line. All the pedals had to be rehung/manufactured. You will see the master clutch cylinder sitting a bit cock-eyed just due to clearence problems.

The 1/2 aluminum plate links the motor mounts to each other...and the mounts attach underneath the stock crossmember. This way the weight of the car helps hold and support the mounts and engine. The actual rubber mounting are stock chev mounts that mated to the custom supports I built.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions,

from the looks of it you loweres the cross member is this correct? if yes how exactly did you go about doing this?

also are you using the factory 924 swaybar mounts? and is there enough clearance under heavy load so it doesnt hit your harmonic balancer?

I am going to be attempting a V8 swap with a 928S 5.0L DOHC V8 into a 931 chassis, however to clear the brake booster I am going to be moving the engine forward a few inches and relocating the rad into the back of the car, but I am going to be needing to rework the swaybar and the crossmember and would like to get some input
titchati  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

OT : 928S had a 4.7L, not 5.0L
Unless you've got a 928S3 or S4.

See ya!
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard..the motor mounts only lower the cross memeber by the thickness of the steel they are made out of 3/16" Next time I get the car up on stands with the wheels off I'll take some better pics. I took those just by sticking the camera under the car

The sway bar clears by about half an inch and under heavy load will move behind the harmonic balancer..correct? If I have any trouble there it can easily be fixed by putting in a spacer under the nylon/rubber mounting point.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PORSCHEV wrote:
Lizard..the motor mounts only lower the cross memeber by the thickness of the steel they are made out of 3/16" Next time I get the car up on stands with the wheels off I'll take some better pics. I took those just by sticking the camera under the car

The sway bar clears by about half an inch and under heavy load will move behind the harmonic balancer..correct? If I have any trouble there it can easily be fixed by putting in a spacer under the nylon/rubber mounting point.

half an inch would be enough under normal driving but what you may consider doing is disconnecting the drop links off the sway bar on both sides and lift the ends of the bar up alot to see if it hits. good thought on the spacer though.

and in regard to the 928S engine info, the 928S was the designation from (iirc) 80-86, there is no S3 factory designation, the S3 is something the owners/followers made up, however it is as some of the owners would say an S3 engine.
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had come up with the spacer idea from when I had my orginal "dummy" block in the car. It was a 350 sbc...but had a much larger harmonic balancer. The early 327's have a smaller journaled crank shaft and a harmonic balancer that presses onto the end of the crank rather than bolting..which by the way really sucks when your trying to put the engine on it's timing marks!

ponchojuan  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: MC offset Reply with quote

Wonder if this would work, or whether they have something that would allow the offset. This is a common problem with hotrods.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/55-62-Chevy-offset-power-booster.html
jody in georgia  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: transplant Reply with quote

one or two qustions one is where are you all finding clutch discs that are the correct spline I've called a company that will make a paddle style disc for 924 spline for 145.00 dollars just wondering second are you all using any kind of rear mount since the drive tube dosent have one I'm thinking the motor would be trying to drop in the rear . I'm fixing to start converting my 924 to v-8 and was thinking about using aluminum motor plates on front and rear of engine. but I like the idea of how you installed motor mount plate between frame and lower crossmember.
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use all chevy gear from the adapter plate forward. That meaning I have a chevy cluth, pressure plate, flywheel and bellhousing. The drivetube and driveshaft were both modified to accept the parts.

I don't see any problems with the balance of the engine or wanting to tip back.

jamez  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have all chevy parts from the drive tube up. there shouldn't be any problems witht he motor rocking forward, I have driven my car pretty hard with no problems with the mounts. the drive tube is held pretty solid by the tranny.
jody in georgia  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: transplant Reply with quote

so another words you all are cutting the shaft as well as the tube and welding a chevy input shaft . that was one way I was thinking but wasn.t sure if it would be stong enough. the way I was planing was cut the tube and make adapt. to fit chevy belhousing preferably from late model camaro or s-10 with 4.3 liter sense these have slave cylinders but not cut the shaft and get custom clutch disc made . I found a company that will make a disc to fit chevy flywheel and pressure plate but have the 13/16 24t spline but the draw back to this is when the disc wears out have to order another at 145.00. If I cut and weld on chevy shaft then can get disc anywhere local
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: