Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

PCA and Registers and Forums (mild rant)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amusing little sidenote for those of you who remember our previous intention to move over to the rennlist forums, followed by all the negative feedback from you guys about giving up our autonomy and our free, personal discussion board... I've been swapping emails with the webmaster for pca.org, and he's a little miffed that we not only have our own discussion board and remain independent... by his POV, we should (as the PCA 924 Register) all move over under the PCA website, use their forum, and only PCA members should be allowed to post.

I guess he doesn't seem to think that the rest of you guys outside the US and Canada should be allowed to talk to us, or to own 924's... what a dweeb!

Believe me, I fully support the goals and aims of the PCA, and I'm both a boardmember and webmaster for my local region and on PCA National Staff by virtue of being the 924 Register Advocate. However, the role and focus of any such club should be inclusive, not exclusive! 924 owners should be encouraged to join by seeing the activities and community displayed by the PCA and inspired as such, not forced to join in order to have access to any community of peers.

I guess that's why I have a 924, not a 911... I don't want to join in or be one of the elite, I take pride in being who I am and enjoying what I choose to enjoy (rather than what others enjoy). My pleasure comes from associating with nice people who chose to associate with me and have similar interests, not from finally earning membership to the most exclusive social circles... so what if I sit in my backyard drinking beer with my buds instead of sitting at the bar in the country club downing cocktails and trying to impress those around me as they in turn try to impress me, I guess I just don't work that way.

Fortunately, I happen to be in a PCA Region of like-minded individuals... probably the only reason I am a Board Member...

I'd rather spend my money on car parts than a country club membership.

I guess if PCA decides they want to close off the 924 Register, they always have that perogative...but we have the 924 Garage and 924.org and the people...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan,

I TOTALLY agree with you. I was using a local club board for a long time, but pressure from the 911 boys increased and frankly I just left. Here's the story.

Let me apologise in advance if this seems too political, but the issue IS political. And Vaughan, if you feel you have to remove this post, feel free. But before if you do, please note that I'm not saying any names or pointing to any particular site or person...so no one in particular should have hurt feelings from this post...

Back last year me and another 924.org guy gave advice to a guy who asked "Which to buy...a Boxster S or a 993?"....he and I both gave reasons for the Boxster S. The 911 boys blew all the veins on their foreheads when I posted a link to a story of a guy with a 911 on fire. The reaction was unexpected and, in retrospect, hilarious. Anyways, they booted or aleinated anyone from the site who wasn't whitebread 911 stock and who questioned the censorship that was taking place. I voiced my displeasure, questioned authority (the Webmaster was adopting an authoritarian leadership style) and was summarily verbally cajoled until the wisest choice was to leave. It was an incredibly clear example of a gang mentality at work: Their group felt that this 'outsider', me, being from Canada, had no place questioning the authority of the leadership. What did I question? I questioned WHY the views of a transvestite (a hilarious, bright, but outspoken person), a person of non-Christian faith and a non-White were ostracised from the site. BTW, I'm a total WASP, so it's not like I had an axe to grind and I have no civil rights background. I just thought making people leave by attacks and censorship and booting them was a rotton, obvious, and dirty thing to do. And I'm not claiming I'm perfect, btw.

The morale? The views of the minority or the less powerful will be subjugated by the views of the majority. This is a place where Marx, Adam Smith and most thinkers come together and agree. It's best we have our own place to talk freely about our cars. I've been using this site for like 5 years without incident precisely because the leadership is sensible, tolerant of different points of view, democratic and MOST IMPORTANTLY 924 focused.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2001-08-17 01:57 ]
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think board indepenance is very important especially as this one concentrates on only one model.
It stops the silly wars that Richard was talking about (BTW Richard since you left hardly anyone posts on the board in question anymore).

Least we forget that the reason this board was set up was to discuss cars (mainly our lovely little 924's) and help out other members.

Right I'm off to my country club to have a Pimms and lemonade and discuss my 911's cupholders!

Mark

Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered

I wouldn't even be writing this if this was a PCA board!!!

Mark
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxsters, I wouldn't buy one because of their looks.
MAS  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Boxsters, I wouldn't buy one because of their looks"

Well Larso, if I had the money to buy a new Boxter, then I'd be looking at a 911 or more probably a 968.

Even though I'm sure that Boxsters are wonderfully engineered, I have to wonder what they'll be like for the more "casual" owners like ourselves, say, 15 to 20 years down the road. What will they be like for the backyard mechanic, when most of the engine in pretty much inaccessible for the average Joe?

-MAS
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just detest the look of them. They look like bumper boats, you know those kid rides that you go on at an amusement park, those bumper boats?

I don't like the new 911, it looks too much like a boxster at the front.
MAS  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the looks of the new 911 as much as the older ones either. They were just perfect in the early to mid 90s, in my "humble" opinion".

Actually, for the money... I'm pretty bloody happy with my little 924S.

-MAS
numbers  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only new Porsche I want is a Turbo.
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PCA wants to get into a little huff because there are a few of us Porsche owners that want a little independence from the others, than let them. If they don't like it, tough shit! There are very few of us (924's) left on the road, and we can't be expected to suck up to the "other" Porsche owners just because we are minority. I get a burr in my ass about this kind if stuff. We are proud of what we drive, and yes our cars may not be the fastest or newest on the roads, but we believe in what we drive and perfectly happy with what we have. For the longest damn time, we were snubbed (and still are from time to time) because we didn't drive a "true" Porsche. Well, if that is the way the "others" wish to be, then let them. We are a unique group of people that share the same passion for our cars the same same way the "others" do about theirs. I have nothing against anyone else, no matter what kind of Porsche they may drive. We all love our cars, that is why we have them. If some people and organizations can't accept the fact that there are smaller groups out here that help each other out on a regular basis, then perhaps they should reconsider what kind of organization they want to have! That is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend everyone should join the PCA and become members if they own a Porsche.

But for new 924 owners this site is very valuable. And until the PCA rectifies a flaw in the attitude toward non PCA owners and owners of "lesser" models.

I just see no reason to settle under thier roof.

If they could work out some guidelines and goals that would benefit a 924 owner. And implement that throughout the organization than I can see a discussion about joining them under one roof.

Even this week from local club members I experienced the snobbish attitude given to a non 911 or 951 owner. The little group I run with even had thier own X-mas party, since we felt we were out of place as well as reeling at the 50 bucks per person dinner.

Vaughn just how seriously miffed was this web master? The PCA president is in my chapter, should there be a need to open a formal discussion of our grevances, I would gladly speak on the sites behalf.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Whiteliner2000  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day Eh!
Ian kingsland here in the great white north, New Bruswick Canada!
I have had The Local VW Service department Laugh in My face the local chapter (4 men strong) based 6 hrs away discard my Emails (I guess ) with you guys is where I want to be!!
Don't have the time or money to impress people I don't like anyway!
I only came here because you all did!
My brother Drives a new Beemer (leased)
I'm going to his wedding in Toronto at a Golf and Country Club there. Cocktails and oerduerves(whatever)at twilight!!
Coffee and positrac donuts on the 18th green any one! YYYYyeeeeeehhaawwwww!
By the way no has replied for my need for fuel lines I need the one from the fuel pump to dist to the back of intake 43inches in all can't find one! ?? help! ??

79 NA 924 Backroads are best! 41yr old kid!
Hi Lars!
Whiteliner2000  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Thanks to you all for being somewhere!!!!
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiteliner I have a parts car with all the lines if you want some when you're here in Toronto. Lars also has parts for sale that are probably in good/great condition.
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Finally had time to sit and read the new site . It's quite nice except for the password which I think I've already forgotten.
Anyway I've just moved from the farm to a more modest arrangement next door and it looks like a used carlot. A 924, 2 931's, a 924S, 2 MGB's, an Elantra, 2 pickup trucks and a motorcycle. I should have never cut the grass!
Ciao,
DWAK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: