Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

I wish i didn't smell...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mannghi  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last the 924 starts, runs, stops. All at the appropriate times.
BUT, i have to drive with the windows open so I don't become overcome by gas fumes. Its not just a smell after fueling, its all the time.
The car runs rich, admittedly, but whoa!
Any thoughts on fumes coming from the engine bay, fuel return line, gas filler nozzle?
Diesel  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your hatch seal. Also, check your charcoal cannister for drippies and the lines leading to it. Check the seal at the firewall hood/cowl. After a while, you will get use to the fumes.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a triangled shaped over fill tube that sits on top of the fuel cell. It is plastic and cracks. The fuel vapor is sucked into the car due to the vacuum present; it associated with a bad rear hatch seal. If you turn your fan on while the windows are rolled up the smell should go away.

The fuel accumalotors will also leak.

If it doesn't you have another problem.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
d12-Matt  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-16 01:00, Diesel wrote:
After a while, you will get use to the fumes.

Isn't that kind of bad for your health?
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with another post. Check the rear hatch seal, and or make sure the hatch is latching tightly.... thus creating the proper seal.

Also make sure the tail lights are poperly sealed.

Eric
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deisel is right...after a while you get used to the fumes...

Sometimes while I'm...zzzzz...driving I smell these ...zzzzz...fumes and...zzzzz
Mannghi  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be the taillight seals, i don't think that they are there. anyone got a part # for them?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tail light gasket part # is AKD.522.009

I had a problem with exhaust smells in the passenger compartment when I first got my 924 Turbo. The main problem was air leakage through the rear hatch seal. I noticed the frame around the rear window was twisted somewhat and found that if the gas struts that hold the rear hatch up were disconnected, this relieved the tension that was twisting the frame and also allowed the hatch to sit down and seal much better when closed. With some further investigation I found that one of the struts had lost its' gas charge, so; the pressure was uneven from one side of the hatch to the other. I just drilled a tiny hole in the strut that still had its' gas charge to let the gas escape. Obviously, this perfectly evened-out the tension (made it zero on both sides). I was careful to position the drilled area away from myself as it was being drilled because I had no prior experience with this particular procedure and was not sure what might come out and at what force. As a disclaimer, I would like to say, "don't try this at home". I'm just telling what I did. "Proceed at your own risk." Anyway, I'm living happily ever after with 2 discharged rear hatch struts and have a spring-loaded device from JC Whitney on one side that flips into position to hold the hatch up when it's opened. It's called a "Lift Support Repair Bracket" part # 13KS4688T $7.99 each. http://www.jcwhitney.com

The other exhaust smell that I was getting was coming from the slip joint where the pipe from the wastegate connects to the catalytic converter (931s only).

Something to try if you need to drive some before fixing the problem: open the passenger window all the way or most of the way and open the drivers window just a few inches. In my experience this does something to the airflow to lessen an exhaust stink inside the car.

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2002-03-13 03:57 ]
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possibility - If it's a fresh fuel smell (not exhaust) - the fuel passes through a line to the fuel filter in the same space occupied by the passenger compartment fresh air intake. Obviously, a leak in that line (or more likely from a fitting to the fuel filter) will bring fresh gas stink into the car.
Roger Hall  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a tube of weatherstrip adhesive and use it on the rear hatch seal. Helped alot on mine but I would recomend replacing the seal. Mine still smells a little.
mdaniel83  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey check the the fuel lines inside the car it's usually under passenger seat
and btw when you car is hot does it start right away? cuz if it doesn't then it could be a fuel accumulator leaking, that's what i had...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: