Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Electrical Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russward  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problems Reply with quote

Hi all,

Having another problem now just when I thought all was well. Battery charges between 13 - 14 volts when the car is running until I switch on the headlights or heater. Voltage then steadily decreases until battery is dead.

Initially I thought the battery was at fault but then realised that it is holding the charge when the car is not running + car runs and charges battery until lights are put on or heater. Thought maybe the voltage regulator might be playing up - thought I'd ask if anyone has any other ideas before I strip out the alternator.

Cheers

Russ
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your alternator just isn't putting out enough amps. I dunno if any of the parts stores over there do alternator testing but if they do I'd let them check it out or else you could probably do it yourself by starting the car and then putting an amp meter between the positive cable and the battery then see how many amps it's putting out at idle and at around 2000rpm. The end result will vary on the size of your alternator but should be at least ~30amps or more, especially at 2000rpm.

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact it could be as simple as a bad ground strap (obscenely common) for the alternator or engine.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
kaffine  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With engine running check voltage at the battery then check vlotage at the alternator then turn the headlights on and repeat. If the diffrence between the battery and alternator is off by more the 0.5 volts there is high resistance in the wiring between the alternator and battery clean all connections and try again. The voltage at the alternator should be above 13 volts if the battery is charged if it is less I would suspect the alternator isn't putting out the amps it should.

The best desciption of an atom boils down to something unknown is doing we don't know what.
Sir Arthur Eddington
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose alternator belt or bad mounts?
Porscheaddiction  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect the voltage regulator on the alternator had similar problem last year....changed voltage reg and been fine ever since.
good luck.
Chris.
russward  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sorted the electrics out - Alternator had come lose or not fitted properly when I changed the cylinder head gasket - she is giving 13.5 volts from the battery when the lights, rear window demist and heater are on so I'm happy.

If only all the things that went wrong were as simple to fix !!!

Regards All

Russ
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russward wrote:
Well sorted the electrics out - Alternator had come lose or not fitted properly when I changed the cylinder head gasket - she is giving 13.5 volts from the battery when the lights, rear window demist and heater are on so I'm happy.

If only all the things that went wrong were as simple to fix !!!

Regards All

Russ

for some all problems with cars seem this simple,
Joel Bridges  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not fair! It can't possibly be that simple
This is a Porsche remember?

Just kidding... good for you.

Out of curiosity, does your rear defrost work well?
Mine has never worked since I bought the car. Then again, I don't drive it much anymore.

Anyone ever fixed one of these? Besides having to replace the hatch. $$$ Ouch $$$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: