Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

4/5/6 point racing harnesses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: 4/5/6 point racing harnesses Reply with quote

Hey guys I was talking to Kenodog the other day and he is wanting to install racing harnesses in his car, and I had found only 1 manufacture of DOT approved racing harnesses,

http://www.schroth.com/ (i was looking about 1 year ago and found them, funny I still remembered the name)

I was thinking about the Hybrid III-H

also what do you recommend 2" or 3" shoulder belts and lap belt widths?

has anyone had any experience with them? Or does anyone know another DOT approved racing harness

also for the racers would you recommend a 4,5 or 6 point harness, I told Kenodog that 4 point isnt the best because in the event of an accident you get more damage due to "submarining", and that 5 points are ok, but if you do "submarine" then you crush your nuts, and the 6 points are designed to prevent that from happening, anyone find any other info than that, as I said it has been about a year since I had looked into this and I am doing this off the top of my head.

Any comments welcome
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres alot of them out there that are spendy. You can get em cheaper and I think there approved. Look in summit racing. Theres also another source that has some wild colored ones. I m getting a set here as soon as Im caught up with all the projects I now have going. Im going with just the drivers side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In chosing between 2" or 3" belts; consider cost, replacement cost (these things have expiration dates, right?), body size, and do you want to be left with 3", or more the painful 2" red stripes up and down your frontside after a crash.
Then for the antisubmarine belt, I'd drop the "4 point" option, then decide between 5 or 6 points based on whether your equipment includes 0, 1, 2, or more nuts.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox

Last edited by Smoothie on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Minus000  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbeau has 3, 4 and 5 point harnesses. I work for VirtualracerX industries and I can probaly get 924board members a 5 or 10 % discount of our website prices if a couple people are intrested. Corbeau now makes a 5 point harness I just haven't got it into our inventory system yet. Take a look at corbeau.com or www.virtualracerx.com Email me if your intrested as my boss is down in Vegas for CES right now. You can use Michael@virtualracerx.com if anyone wants more info or
prices.
ryoji  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most race organizations require 3" 5pt or 6pt harnesses with sfi 16.1.

However, I thought 5/6pt harnesses are not recommended without a cage. 4/5/6 pt harnesses are not convenient for a street ride, anyway. Isn't it hard to change radio stations, to get coffee, etc. 3pt inertia belts are more practical.

I know few guys having both sets in their car. 5ptharnesses for a track and 3 pt belts for daily. Then, you do not need to have DOT. I get my racing one from www.mrproducts.com
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minus000 , I cant find the prices . how much are the seats ,and belts ,retail ?
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdb wrote:
Minus000 , I cant find the prices . how much are the seats ,and belts ,retail ?

wait a second , these are parts to a game , are they dot approved, to use in a car .
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoothie wrote:
Then for the antisubmarine belt, I'd drop the "4 point" option, then decide between 5 or 6 points based on whether your equipment includes 0, 1, 2, or more nuts.

I thought we all had 2....does size matter?
Minus000  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not positive but I will find out if they are dot certified. We build/sell vrx's but also sell the corbeau line up on the side since we use them in our products. If you go to corbeau seats and then click on "order now", you will see some submenu options, select "Corbeau Accsessories" under products and you will find the belts. Its a pain I know, I will see about getting the system reorganized a little better.

Last edited by Minus000 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do realize that they are little inconvienent for street use however, if Kenodog installs them then he doesn't want the factory belts anymore, and in order to "legally" drive around you have to have DOT approved restraints which this manufacture was the only 1 I found that was DOT approved
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on having both 3 and ? point in my car.A cage will be coming in the summer once I get my new engine,turbo and i/c are installed.i'm using belts that were made by a friend who manufactures and installs custom interiors for personal and corporate jets.The cam lock aviation buckles may not be DOT approved but they're out of a $25 million dollar Lear so i'll take my chances.And I will be wanting 3" webing for sure.I mean if you're going there anyway,well why not go all the way right?Besides,my nuts are worth it.
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
AndyFranklin  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 point harnesses are for a lay-down position (ie - formula cars). The 5 point is for the upright position that we are in. You are not going to submarine to the point of castration - if at all. The 5th belt keeps the other belts in position.

The critical certification on the latch is SFI - not DOT.

And remember that most sanctioning bodies have now gone to a two-year life of the webbing - based upon the date of manufacture on the label.
kaffine  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the diffrence between the 5 and 6 point harnesses is that the 6 point crushes them both equally

If I ever put a roll cage in my car I will be using 5 or 6 point harness. I would rather be firmly secured in the seat than be able to adjust the radio.

The best desciption of an atom boils down to something unknown is doing we don't know what.
Sir Arthur Eddington
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 point is overkill. You will do fine with 5 point.

But if you go with a DOT harness and you crash your insurance can and most likely will cancel or not pay because the insurance companies won't recognize an aftermarket restraint system. Just because it is UV protected for street use and makes it DOT approved will not mean that it is allowable to insurance claims. They more than likely will state that it doesn't recognize any restrait system other than OEM.
Not gospel and I could be in error but it is one thing to consider and knowing insurance companies they will take every opportunity to get out of paying claims!
Mounting points may also not be DOT approved even though the belts are.
Just some out side the box considerations to look at. Dallas
John Brown  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not say why the harness installation? Because I don't know anyone who has put up with the hassle of a harness in a street driven car for any length of time. The aggravation of hooking everything up quickly becomes tiresome. A few street legal track cars get driven to and from; but not around otherwise.

A friend of mine rear-ended a stationary car at 65mph wearing the stock harness. Suffered only broken bones, bruises etc. He did submarine slightly; but then he weighed over 300 lbs. Would a harness system have been better? Sure. Assuming it was properly tight. A condition of which I am highly skeptical after about 3 times getting into the car for a trip for groceries. Heck, they don't always get properly tightened at the track!

You certainly are going to need harness approved by DOT (MOT) and even then if you have inspections then use of other than OEM attach points may not fly?

So far as insurance; if the belts are approved and the installation passes an inspection then you should be good to go UNLESS there is opportunity to contend that the belt(s) or installation failed or contibuted to injury.

4 point is worthless except for some restraint for autocross; don't care WHAT the manufacturers website says. They are, after all, selling. 5 point is fine, the 5th belt only holds the lapbelt down from the upward movement caused by the shoulder belts (but the crotch belt HAS to be TIGHT for this to work). 6 point can be installed so that the harness is almost exactly like a parachute harness and you actually end up 'sitting' in it.
80 931 - #931 44Cup
99 Escalade - tows track cars
gone but not forgotten: original 924.org car - 82
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: