Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cam Cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982Porsche924 wrote:
takes me 10 minutes to take off, really easy. Make sure to get both the valve cover gasket and 2 seals.

Ok, I'm getting ready to do this job and I'm about to order the parts.

According to Performance Products, I need to have 2 gaskets and 2 seals. What are the seals for? Is it readily apparent where they go?

Thanks
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mikri184  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Vavle cover gasket Reply with quote

The seals com each end of the cover, which you may or may not get. Since 924_007 is now longer on Ebay He has been removed. Be weary of sending any money you won't be protected.

Valve cover is fairly straight forward use a small magnet for the little washers and keep hold of the nuts don't want any falling into the engine or alternator or gorounding out your starter (which I recently expereinced). I use a light coat of aviation gasket sealer myself more to make sure gasket doesn't move. Also a dab of rtv at the four corners where the gasket and seal meet, is a real good idea. I agree replace the cam oilling tube and elbow. Check your valves. Fairly easy to do. If you don't have one get a Haynes at least it will help you. Take your time don't rush and have fun!!!
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>Since 924_007 is now longer on Ebay He has been removed. Be weary of sending any money you won't be protected.

No worries there. I ordered this part some time back and already have it.

Just so I understand correctl, there is a gasket for each side (2) and a seal for each end (2) is that correct?

>>>Valve cover is fairly straight forward use a small magnet for the little washers and keep hold of the nuts don't want any falling into the engine or alternator or gorounding out your starter

Great, chances are that if you can screw something up, I will I'll remember to be extra careful.

>>>Also a dab of rtv at the four corners where the gasket and seal meet, is a real good idea.

rtv?

>>>I agree replace the cam oilling tube and elbow. Check your valves. Fairly easy to do. If you don't have one get a Haynes at least it will help you.

I'll pull out the Haynes and check this out.

Thanks
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mikri184  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: valve cover Reply with quote

RTV is silicone gasket maker stuff that you can get at wal mart and most places auto parts stores, made by permatex. I don't suggest this for the whole gasket though. It is quite goopy. Good Luck
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to use a wet gasket sealer (non-drying). The seals are for the front and back of the cam cover (smaller sides) and you need to order 2. The gasket comes in a set, you only need to order one.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... performance products has the complete gasket set for $10 bucks.

However, the only place I can find the cam oil tube and elbow are from Part Werks of Chicago.

The elbow is like $4 but the tube is $40.

Do those prices sound right?

Thanks
Click here to view them:
-nick  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices are fine, but when you add the shipping in (especially from performance prods) it might end up being cheaper from a local dealer. The oiling tube isn't really necessary to replace - you can just blow it out with some compressed air. Definately put a feeler gauge on the valves while it's open- search for the valve adjustment post here.

I use hylomar on almost all gasket surfaces. It stays doesn't harden (means you can usually pull off the gaskets and reuse them if you ever have to dissamble) and it resists just about everything.

That valve cover looks nice, enjoy.

-nick
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to pick up the oil tube elbow from the dealer for less than $2.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hylomar can be picked up from any autoparts store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it isn't a very good picture but the polished cam and timing belt covers have been installed.

Note: I didn't do it . I let my mechanic swap the cam covers and do the valve adjustment and check the oil tube while he was in there.
Click here to view them:
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I'll be sandblasting/polishing my 924's valve cover once I start the engine rebuild.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats nice..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you gonna do if your oil cap starts leaken cause the gasket is no good anymore happend to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: