Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Water spray cooling, onto turbo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ants  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys
I've just been reading about water spray cooling onto air/air intercoolers as an extra performance increase. It is something i've been toying with the idea of (an intercooler that is), but it occured to me would it not be possible to spray water onto the Turbo directly.
I realise its not going to give a huge performance increase, but would it help keep the turbo temperature down (increasing longevity of the unit0 or would it just crack the housing as its cast iron i believe.
cheers
Ants
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick with the water on the intercooler; definitely would worry about cracking the turbo. If you'd like to cool the turbo more, put in a bigger oil cooler or otherwise improve the efficiency of the stock one. I for one have been quite impressed with the stock one.

I just hate the oil lines that leak all over!

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
John H  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants,

Have alook at this site http://www.autospeed.com/A_0527/page1.html.
I spray a fine water mist over my Intercooler when I race. Normally I don't use the spray till about lap 4 of 6 laps. After about 1/4 lap one can notice the power starting to come back up to the same level as at the start of the race. It also shows on the lap times.
The autospeed system is a bit more advanced than mine.
Ants  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys it was the autospeed site that i was reading about (said it couldn't find the page you linked to John H but i think it was what i had been looking at)
Its just that I had a new turbo recently as the impellar had almost stopped turning due to carbon deposits, (hence why you should always leave the engine running a little while after your journey) So i was just looking for ways of helping to keep the turbo cool, as you know on the 944 they moved it to the opposite side of the block away from the manifold, i imagine it must get damn hot on that side of the engine, you can see the heat coming out of the NACA duct when stationary.

Ants
John Mueller  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to add a second cooler, and then have a pump that circulates the oil after shuting the motor off. Plus a fan on the second cooler.
Ants  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-01 03:54, John Mueller wrote:
I am going to add a second cooler, and then have a pump that circulates the oil after shuting the motor off. Plus a fan on the second cooler.

Now that sounds like a plan! I would be very interested to know how you get on.

Ants

[ This Message was edited by: Ants on 2001-12-03 21:51 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe spraying water onto the turbo would be ok in some ways, because exhaust pipes do not crack when you put water directly on them that I have seen...but the problem is that the water molecules are much denser than air, and when the turbine wacks the molecules, it wears down the turbine (disolves it slowly).
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-01 03:54, John Mueller wrote:

I put one of them thar electric oil pumps (Pre-Luber) on my 931 a few years back. It starts and runs for a while when you activate the ignition to give you oil pressure before starting, then you activate the starter and off you go... When you shut the engine off, it kicks in again and runs for a few more minutes - the plan being to reduce coking at and near the turbo bearing. I'd recommend it only if you have a good tough battery, a well functioning charging system and a healthy starter and solenoid. (I've noted an increase in decreased battery life since installing it.) A combination deep-cycle/starting battery might be a good idea. I mounted my PreLuber within the front bumper with some sound deadening material between it and the aluminum (aluminium?) bumper. It's still real noisy with that. I mounted the small control unit in the space next to the front hood latch. I have the Marine Pre-Luber. It works the same as the regular model, but; it's built tougher to withstand a salt water environment (which is about what we have on the roads in winter here).

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2001-12-20 16:12 ]
numbers  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electric oil pump installed also. The brand name for my unit is Turbo Saver. I mounted the pump at the rear of the passenger side front wheel well. I made an inner liner out of thin sheet aluminum to protect it from road debris. The computer control box is mounted on the cowl next to the battery. I also installed a VW bug blower fan in the same area, and ran a flexable duct from the fan through the firewall across the top of the valve cover and down the side of the head to blow air on the turbo bearing howsing. The fan is ran off of the same computer control. So, for three minutes after shutdown, I get both oil flow and cool air to the bearing housing. It worked great for about ten years, but then the pump kept loosing it's prime. So, now it is disconnected. Just another thing I need to fix some day.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea with the VW fan. I had the same idea! I had a similar setup to blow air on the turbo before I got the Pre-Luber. Used a VW fan also, but; had it mounted in the engine compartment on the top of the right wheel well with its' intake placed near the NACA duct and a piece of that aluminized flex hose from the fan to the turbo bearing area. For automatic on/off control, I had a small electric thermostat mounted on the end of a piece of thick hanger wire so it was suspended in the air above the turbo, but; not in the path of the fans' output. It was hard-wired right to the battery with an in-line fuse. It worked fine until I removed it (when the Pre-Luber went in). Could/should probably put it back. Your fan location has to be better for pulling in cooler air, but; I'd just rather not put that hole in the firewall.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pre-Luber helps with oil changes also. There's a quick disconnect in the hose from the pump just behind the front spoiler*. Just put a pan there, disconnect the fitting and activate the pump. It pumps your oil out for you. (You still have to jack it up to replace the oil filter though.)

*just happened to have the hose running there because the pump is inside the front bumper.

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2001-12-22 09:32 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the pre-luber?

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-05-09 07:20 ]
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember for sure where I got it, but I think it was carried by JC Whitney at the time and I probably got it there. I remember the name "Sales Professionals" being associated with Pre-Luber, but I think they were the wholesaler.

Here are a few sites to check through MetaCrawler:
http://search.metacrawler.com/crawler?general=preluber&method=0&redirect=&rpp=20&hpe=10&region=0&timeout=0&sort=0&theme=classic

This is one of those sites and has a couple more links:
http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/preluber/index.html

...and a do it yourself'er:
http://www.enginegearonline.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=736671%7C759873&PRID=115789
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I got my Turbo Saver from a place in Grants Pass Oregon. I don't know if they are still in business, but I will try to get you the address if you are interested.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please! I am interested!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: