Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Clutch probs, please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky522  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1981 porsche 924 and i have had serious clutch problems, i replaced the clutch about 6 months ago, and about a month ago the clutch failed due to improper alignment. So i have now replaced the clutch, the guide tube, clutch cable, and the throw-out bearing. i got the car all put back together and started it and the clutch felt great, i took it for a ride down the road and it felt %100 better than it did previously, but i shifted through all the gears and just before i got to 5th geari went to push in the clutch and it wasnt there, there was no clutch, i have heard many stories of the torque tube going bad but i dont know the symptoms, i do know when i pulled the car apart the first time the coupler was jammed that holds the output shaft on the trans to the torque tube and the shaft that goes through the torque tube slid towards the motor but i was able to pull it back out... if you could please help me, all i want to do is drive my car.
Thanks,
Mark
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you checked the cable and the connections to the pedal and arm? If these are ok I would check the coupler as you noted. If you do not hear any noises (grinding and such) I would not assume that you did some thing wrong there. Check those things and let me know what you find.
You can e-mail me at elynch@itt.com Also where are you. Some one on this list must be near you. Maybe

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924
Joes924  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is later than mine.I just did that job
1979 924and have no problems just followed directions.

http://924Porsche.homestead.com/Clutch.html

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-08-09 09:57 ]
marky522  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have replace the cable, what is happening is that the arm on the bellhousing its self is stuck.

Mark
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mark's near me, about 1.5hrs away... we've already chatted about it a bit... I am still very curious about how it could get stuck...

Have you removed the torque tube and bellhousing yet, Mark?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to replace a torque tube and the symptoms i got was that the pilot bearing kept getting detroyed because the TT shaft was vibrating in the TT bearings.

so when i pushed in the clutch the chewed up pilot bearing was not allowing the TT shaft to spin and i counldn't change gears.

verdict was rebuilt TT, and new pilot bearing. i put a little film of synthetic grease on the release sleeve and pilot bearing. no problems since.

this doesn't really sound like the symptoms you have, but i think that's all that can happen with a bad TT.

good luck
-nick
marky522  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for helping, Nick I am doing exactly what you are suggesting, i have a parts car so i am going to put the torque tube into my car and see if that helps. But if i am pulling the whole thing apart once again, i am eliminating every possibility i can imagine, so i am also replacing the bellhousing... HOpefully this helps...

Mark
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-
you said the TT shaft moved a little relative to the TT body when you pulled it out of the way to get to the clutch?

be careful not to disturb the position of the shaft in the TT body when you pull it out of your parts car. that is exactly what i did when i changed my clutch, within 200miles i had to pull the TT out for a rebuild because of the pilot bearing problem.

the TT has 4 bearings the shaft rides in, and in mine the engine side bearing worked its way toward the middle of the TT causing the TT shaft going into the flywheel to vibrate. i think messing with the position of the shaft while pulling the TT back makes it worse aggravates this problem.

so _be careful_! i spent $$$ for a rebuild from PartWerks in Chicago (mostly because i didn't have the time to do it myself). i wish you luck, it's a crappy job.

-nick
Joes924  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean up that bell housing real good and lubricate where need be. also
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding placement of the shaft within the torque tube; the length of the shaft extending beyond the rear mounting flange surface must be 13 +/- 0.5mm. Corrections are to be made by tapping on the end of the shaft with a soft-faced hammer.

This spec and instruction is from the factory manual

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: