Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rear swaybar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: rear swaybar Reply with quote

Rear sway bar. I just got a late style suspension mounted into my early style 924 for the snailshell transmission. Everything looks good. I did notice today that the transmission is slightly touching the top of the sway bar where the front and middle casing is bolted together. Does anyone else who has a snailshell and stock 18mm rear sway bar have their trans sitting on top of it?

thanks, bobby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a late style 78 with a snailshell tranny and tehre is ALOT of space between the tranny and sway bar
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap. I crawled under there again to check and it isn't actually touching. But it is only like a mm or two away. I am a little concerned about this, should i be? Also what does the exhaust pipe look like around there, mine seems pretty low and i don't want to loose a piece of it driving on crapy roads.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the exhaust does sit very low in these cars not too worry
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Is it possible to loosen the sway bar bolts and twist it down a little bit? The sway bar doesn't actually hit on the transmission(had my dad get in the back and bounce one side up and down) but it does rub slightly. Probably won't cause a problem but i like my trans in one piece and don't want to take a chance.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure - you can do that. It's mounted by giant U-bolts, right?

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Mounted by two bolts on each side to the swing arms. I do not have the newer style with the bushings, they might be with the u bolt, i dunno. I was thinking, what if i made some type of a bracket clamped to the torsion bar carrier with bushings. I can pull down a little ont he sway bar to get it off the transmission with my hand so it is not touching hard. This way it will stay off the trans and stiffen my ass end a little. Don't know how i would do it yet but it is an idea. Any thoughts on it?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - I was thinking of the main bar mounts, not the ends. I have an added-on Weltmeister rear bar that's mounted to the torsion bar carrier via giant U-bolts. That type of arrangement could be easily repositioned.

78porsche924  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, i just have the stock bar.
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early sway bar was never installed with the snail transmission, so it is entirely possible that there could be an interference problem.

Since the early sway bar is not anchored to the torsion bar carrier, and you report that it is extremely close to the transmission housing, I would think that the possibility of damage if the suspension moves would be high.

If I were you, I would remove the rear sway bar, and use the late swaybar. If your existing torsion bar carrier does not have the center mounts. You could purchase the Weltmeister adapter center sway bar mount kit. The adapter kit is relative expensive (I think over $150). The stock, late model 14mm sway bar should be easy to find, cheap, since many people are moving to larger 944 rear bars. You could also buy the 944 M030 adjustable rear sway bar for anround $150, if you already have the center mounting brackets, or the adapter kit. The late 924 14mm bar should be the equivalent or stronger, than the unanchored 18mm early rear sway bar.
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1980 turbo never had the early style sway bar because that is what my rear suspension is out of? What do you think about my idea of making some sort of bushing for the sway bar i have because i am pretty much broke now. I could mount these bushings to the torsion bar carrier somehow probably also using the trans mounting arms for support. It will protect my trans and also actually stiffen up the rear i would imagine. That or i might just ditch the sway bar entirely.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need the late-style sway bar, it has a dip in the middle for clearance. I recommend the M030 bar, it truly rocks, and is only $150-160 with bushings, adjustable, factory part (high quality). I run it on the racecar, it rocks! Then you just need attachment points on the torsion bar carrier, as described in the tech section, either fab up and weld on your own, or buy the Weltmeister kit.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the late style bar mount onto the swing arms/spring plate the same way? I don't know why but for some reason i am thinking they mount differently.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they do; they use a drop-link to attach to a double-ended camber eccentric bolt (replaces the single-sided bolt you currently have). They are mainly supported by attachment to the torsion bar housing.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some <stabilizer bar pics>. Rear bar pics start at "18 of __".
This is an added-on Weltmeister bar attached at the eccentric bolt.

edit - May 22,2004 - changed link from msn photos to yahoo photos

Last edited by Smoothie on Sun May 23, 2004 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: