Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weight Reduction But Keeping It As A Daily Driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Weight Reduction But Keeping It As A Daily Driver Reply with quote

1980 Porsche 924. Do any of you have any ideas on how to lighten its weight while keeping it as a daily driver. I am thinking lighter body parts such as carbon fiber/fiber glass pieces (hood, plexiglass/lexan windows (hatch, rear windows behind front door mirrors) fenders, doors (still keeping safety in mind, cross brace?), etc). I would like to keep any sound proofing it has already. Any websites? Also, any sites where I can find speakers for the front doors? I found a reciever (Kenwood KRC-535) and speakers for the rear (Alpine SPS-4629). Also if the front speakers had grilles it would help a lot for appearence for the interior of the vehicle. And one more question. It is about the bulbs for the front headlights. Does it use 9004 50/70 Watts, 9005 High Beam 70 Watts, 9006 Low Beam 60 Watts, or 9007 60/70 Watts bulbs? Thank you very much!
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only option I found for frond door speakers WITH grills are the older model PCxg462 Blaupunkt 4x6's. They are the generation previous to their current line-up, so keep an eye out on ebay for them (that is where I found them). There aren't much of any 4x6's that come with grills, and there are even fewer that are 1.75" or less. The rear speakers are a little easier to find, I got the top of the line blaupunkt ODxa463's for the rear, they are 2" deep, which is the maximum for the rear, though I had to modify the grills to get them to fit back there. and in keeping with the whole Blaupunkt theme, I got the PCci50 component tweeters and flush/angle mounted them in the top of the dash.

check out the pictures on my site:
http://www.alexroy.net/931speakers.html

I'm still trying to decide on what subs I want. Either 2 MB Quart 10's, or 2 Blaupunkt Overdrive 10's, and JBL isn't out of the running yet either.
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Alex Roy.
gohim  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to learn more about your car, before you start planning on how to alter it.

If you don't know what kind of headlights the car you are getting has, you aren't ready to start changing them. 924s did not come with replaceable headlight light bulbs. They came with sealed beams, and the bulbs are not replaceable on sealed beams, so 9004, 9004, 9007 (which are made for headlight assemblies with replaceable bulbs) won't fit.

Replacement body parts will cost you more than the car is worth. If you have that much money to burn, you would be better off selling or trading away the car to get something with more potential.

Because of the engine, the 924 will never be a 1/4 miler. 924s are touring/handling cars. If you want a dragster, but an old Mustang.
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice gohim. I even tell myself I need to learn more about the car. The situation is is that the car is my cousin's. She has not started the car in years and she is willing to sell it to me. She just need to sign a missing pink slip form and get it to the DMV to start. Then My dad and I are going to get it towed to a friends shop and get it fixed up there.

I believe the 924 i perfect for me, it's sporty and I think the insurance is not going to be so high. I know that the 924 already does not respond to many performance parts, but I am going to make it a daily driver/weekend warrior with some power under the hood. I'm not going to use it as a dragster or do street racing, only on the track.

Thank you again gohim for the information, it has been very helpful and I am sure I am going to learn a lot from all of you on this forum.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the headlights I have switched out to 7" round Bosch lenses that accept H4 Bulbs, I am currently running PIAA's xtreme platlum white, they provide great lighting and work like a charm and are fully legal in my area but other people on the road really don't like them as they are really bright, they are 65Watt high, 50 watt low, but there candle power is like 120 on low beam
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lizard, I'll look into switching the lenses.
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some advent 4x6s. That is what i have in my car. It came with grills and they have some fairly nice highs. I did have a slight problem with clearence with the window crank hitting the corner of the grill when i was putting my windows up and down though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 78porsche924 which company makes the Advent 4x6's? Also, my main purpose for this car is to tune it for drifting. The suspension is good to go and once I get good at it I can worry about horsepower later. Just want to get the weight to about the same as a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS. Thanks!
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lizard, do you know if those bulbs are legal for use on California roads. Thanks!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see why not as they are DOT approved, but I don't know california law, they are rated at 65/55 Watt but not sure
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lizard, it might be an option for me.
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advent is the name of the company. I don't know if u have one around there, but i know that Brynmar Audio and Stero carries them, Tweeter is also owned by the same company, u might want to try t hose stores. They go for i think like 70-80 a pair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hammyox85  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I know a Tweeter store is in the Convoy area here in San Diego. Thanks!
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob, hope they have what u need. I believe that boston acoustic(also at tweeter) also makes 4x6 with a grill. Not positive aobut that but i am pretty sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: