Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Did 1978 NA have an oil cooler?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copeina  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 am    Post subject: Did 1978 NA have an oil cooler? Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of a photo, but I've got a 1978 924 2.0L 4-speed of unknown history. Working back to front to get it going, and am to the point now of reviewing the engine bay for sins.

Looking at photos, I believe this is just something someone added-on once upon a time, but what I have is a collector can of some sort mounted to the inner fender right in front of plug #1, connected by an AN fitting to what appears to be an oil cooler in front of the rad. There is just an open connection on the engine side, and no apparent fitting on the engine where a hose would have been. (It also doesn't gush oil from anywhere when I start it )

Long question short, did the basic 1978 924 have an oil cooler? Any idea what someone may have intended with it?

Thanks very much,
/Kris
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the n/a didnt have one, it came on the turbo model.
copeina  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Pulled off the hose and the collector last night. One less thing to be in the way. The cooler itself goes the full length of the radiator. Bet things will breathe better once it's out of the way, but that's a project for another day.

Cheers,
/Kris
Raize  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's leftover W2A intercooler radiator and expansion tank from a home made turbo setup?

It doesn't make sense to have a "collector can" in an oil cooler circuit to me. Catch cans are part of PCV system which is a different thing entirely.

Weird. Did it have oil in it or coolant?
copeina  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raize wrote:
Someone's leftover W2A intercooler radiator and expansion tank from a home made turbo setup?

It doesn't make sense to have a "collector can" in an oil cooler circuit to me. Catch cans are part of PCV system which is a different thing entirely.

Weird. Did it have oil in it or coolant?

It was bone dry with that lovely old machine haze. Definitely not a catch can. I just file things like that as "50 years of good ideas". For all I know, the front clip isn't original to the car and parts of the old system just came with it.

Wish I could post photos, but hosting doesn't seem to be as simple as it once was.

/Kris
!tom  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/C perhaps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: