Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

4 Lug rear disc brakes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying on some calipers...
Just need to fabricate the adapters in metal instead of 3d printed plastic....

Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drums turned down to hubs, left first attempt, right the second and final.

Porsche 931 -79
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pretty nice setup, safe! You've got me thinking about some possibilities on mine, and I've got some ideas... I don't think I'm going to find Peugeot parts, but some late 80s and early 90s Audis (looks like the 80 is the best bet) have the same 4x108 bolt pattern, a high offset rear rotor, and the same diameter front rotor as the 24 solid disk. Two-piston calipers might even be an option out of the S4 or V8...

Since you mentioned the Ford parts, I looked into that, and it might just be an option - maybe even for the hydraulics. Not many Audis in the wrecking yards around here, so it might be worth getting a set of rotors and calipers from a Focus and/or Contour (US version of the Mondeo) to play around with.

One thing I'm wondering is if there's any rough guideline to follow that'll keep the front-rear brake bias where it should be. I notice the Audis I mention have 54mm front pistons, and 38mm rears. The Fords are 54/34 for the Focus, and 60/36 for the Contour. I suspect those would have more front bias to account for the weight, so I wonder if mixing and matching to get 54mm front pistons and 36mm rears would be a good idea. I don't know if they have a diagonal split like the 24, or how that plays in, but it seems the master cylinder is pretty similar (on the Focus anyway - 23mm bore, no step).

Anyway, I think I have a good starting point if I go down this road. I might try and dig up a pair of drums and rotors to machine and start mocking and fabbing around - that way if I get in a bind I can just put the old stuff back on until I figure it out.
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
That looks like a pretty nice setup, safe! You've got me thinking about some possibilities on mine, and I've got some ideas... I don't think I'm going to find Peugeot parts, but some late 80s and early 90s Audis (looks like the 80 is the best bet) have the same 4x108 bolt pattern, a high offset rear rotor, and the same diameter front rotor as the 24 solid disk. Two-piston calipers might even be an option out of the S4 or V8...

Since you mentioned the Ford parts, I looked into that, and it might just be an option - maybe even for the hydraulics. Not many Audis in the wrecking yards around here, so it might be worth getting a set of rotors and calipers from a Focus and/or Contour (US version of the Mondeo) to play around with.

One thing I'm wondering is if there's any rough guideline to follow that'll keep the front-rear brake bias where it should be. I notice the Audis I mention have 54mm front pistons, and 38mm rears. The Fords are 54/34 for the Focus, and 60/36 for the Contour. I suspect those would have more front bias to account for the weight, so I wonder if mixing and matching to get 54mm front pistons and 36mm rears would be a good idea. I don't know if they have a diagonal split like the 24, or how that plays in, but it seems the master cylinder is pretty similar (on the Focus anyway - 23mm bore, no step).

Anyway, I think I have a good starting point if I go down this road. I might try and dig up a pair of drums and rotors to machine and start mocking and fabbing around - that way if I get in a bind I can just put the old stuff back on until I figure it out.

Look at the bias on the 931 piston areas for a reference and keep it roughly that, just remember its the area not the diameter that is important, the total area of the pistons.
If its a track car I would err on bigger in the rear and then a proportioning valve to reduce it if necessary.

I didn't find any larger 108x4 rotors from any Audi, I might have missed some. The heavier or more powerful cars often go to 5 lugs, even if the base model have 4 lugs.

I focused on a street set up, using 1 piston calipers to keep clearance to the wheels and to have an integrated hand brake. If you want a relativly large rear caliper, 2 pistons and integrated hand brake, look at the Alfa 75. Some Alfa 75 also had some quite nice 4 piston aluminum front calipers (I think they were 4 pistons).

Cost is also an option. Everything I have chosen is dirt cheap brand new. The rear disks and calipers are $200-250 brand new (plus custom adapters that could have cost money but was fee).
Porsche 931 -79
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:

A Std 931 is 69.1% front and 30,8% rear when it comes to piston area, Magnus Rat rod isnt that far of (71,3/28,6 i think). With the 924 having a diagonal brake line routing you will have to reroute the brake system to fron/rear instead if you need a brake bias valve, or just do the maths and hopefully not need any valve at all
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a "final" fitment of the rear calipers with the finished adapters. Working on the hand brake cable set up, I need some form of holder/adjuster.
Porsche 931 -79
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, regarding brake lines etc, I rerouted them to be front/rear and changed the master cylinder from the 924 NA to the 931 23 mm with equal sized front/rear. The 931 master was "reasonably priced" at about $200-250.
I first looked at a early 944 master (19,05 / 23,81mm) and that was $900!!!
Then a later 944 (23,81 / 20,64mm) at $300.

After that $200 felt like a steal
Porsche 931 -79
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that master cylinder is pricey for what it is, but it could be worse. Of course I had to replace most of my brake and clutch hydros, although the clutch slave cylinder still works, and I was able to rebuild the calipers.

Anyway, I was surprised too that Audis had four-lug wheels so far along. Mercedes has been five-lug forever, and most American stuff outside of compacts are too.The B3 and B4 Audi 80s are the ones you'd most want to look for, but I'd look under any mid-80s to mid-90s with four lugs. Unfortunately, those were very thin years for Audi in the US - I can't even find one on Copart (which is corrently showing three 924s...) If you find a wrecked 20V, you've got the ingredients to turn a basic 24 into a wolf in sheep's clothing...

Thanks for the number on the 931 (I presume that's the five-lug brake setup). On the brake bias and proportioning discussion, my thought would be to avoid any modifications you can - I'd want a setup that only needs to be hooked up to the existing lines. It looks like using the Focus calipers (54mm) in the front and Contour calipers in the rear (36mm) would give me 69.3F/30.7R distribution. I'm guessing that's still front-biased to some degree on a 24; you could shift that to 67/33 by going to a 38mm rear caliper, but I don't suppose it's worth the risks on a street car.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to find a set of readily-available parts that'll allow you to match or at least get close to the M471 brakes for cheaper and without having to find a donor car or pay shipping for a pile of parts. If you hit on the right setup, it would be a no-brainer except for the machine work to turn the rotors/drums into hubs. On the front at least, it looks like once you get the rotor machined to a hub (and I bet you could machine the face to make a centering ring for the rotors), the rest could be all bolt-on stuff (using Passat calipers). Too bad the rears are more complex, since that's where you get most of the benefit outside of sheer fade-resistance. Anyway, since I'm going to be rebuilding my engine this spring anyway, maybe I will just start cutting.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
Yes, regarding brake lines etc, I rerouted them to be front/rear and changed the master cylinder from the 924 NA to the 931 23 mm with equal sized front/rear. The 931 master was "reasonably priced" at about $200-250.
I first looked at a early 944 master (19,05 / 23,81mm) and that was $900!!!
Then a later 944 (23,81 / 20,64mm) at $300.

After that $200 felt like a steal

None of them have different piston areas for front/rear, its only a difference in piston area in case of a malfunction/leak when the piston goes all the way down in the bore

Beartooth: Your setup with 54/36 sounds pretty much bang on the 5 lug setup, should work really well.
Raize  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also just mess around with your pad compounds to balance the braking force if you need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: