Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Price Check on Aisle 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Legitimate Salvage wrote:
...I’m seriously considering getting this car and installing your supercharger kit.

Now THAT would... make you want better brakes! LOL

Probably not more than a pad and fluid upgrade, at least for road use that works well. Magnus 924 with 420hp and std 4lug brakes on no name pads however could use an upgrade

The RoW na is pretty good on twisty roads, but its also quite alot more powerful and quite a bit lighter, can imagine the earliest us version can feel a bit lacking. The SC will probably suite the lower CR us engine pretty well If i could chose i would definitely chose a SC 924 over a 924S for a car used just for fun driving.
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
The dogleg box on the na cars is the hardest to find any parts for, is it in good condition?

It seems proper to me, but I've never driven one before. It got a new clutch and shifter bushings when re-furbed... can't imagine the gearbox oil wasn't replaced at the same time. It didn't make any funny noises, shifted easily... easy enough to drain the gearbox and look for unicorn sparkles.

Cedric wrote:
Probably not more than a pad and fluid upgrade, at least for road use that works well.

Brake system was bled, soft lines replaced, new pads/shoes, master cyl etc... during the refurb.

Last edited by Legitimate Salvage on Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car seems very nice in the photos, getting one of these cars to a level where it is truly capable of being a daily is no easy task and is usually done by slowly replacing basically everything as most of the stuff on these cars is either neglected or left to rot, sometimes mix of both. I think anything over 10 would really be pushing it for a 4 lug with tan interior and it being just a base model. I will be asking 12-14 for my 79 Sebring with 5-lug and fully resealed engine/ trans and all new running gear. Everything mechanical has been replaced, repair, or inspected and cleaned . Interior is about same with drivers seat having a rip.It has long term paint issues with small patches of rust coming through where PO didn't pull trim to paint it but easily an 9/10 at 5 feet. If i got 10-11 for it I wouldn't be mad but I can see it realistically selling for less depending on market. I can find a base 924'S with no service done and overall 7/10 car for about 8000$ out here in socal. The Supercharger would make these cars what they really should have been from factory.
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the research I've been doing and the conversation here, it seems that $9k would be top dollar... hmmm.
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legitimate Salvage wrote:
From the research I've been doing and the conversation here, it seems that $9k would be top dollar... hmmm.

For a base 924 4-lug to garner 9k it better be pretty much perfect, it sounds like his is close but not quite. For 9k I would be looking at 931's or a 924's, maybe try and sell him a few grand under and then pick up the EFI and SC kit from morghen and make all those 2.5L cars look slow . The benefit of the base model 924 is it is still incredibly cheap to maintain/repair and 5 lug brakes can also be added quite easily like how I did to my Sebring. Ultimately pick something you want and that fits your needs and capabilities. The 931 can be quite tricky beasts and i'm willing to wager there is little to nobody who can or will touch those cars locally to you.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very nice car, and probably worth the money if it's REALLY what you want. If it doesn't speak to you though, and the seller is pretty firm, I'd move on. It's in great shape, but even a car with no blemishes (like the cracked dash and ding in the back) would probably have a hard time fetching that price. A 931 at that price would probably be worth it, but it's also easy to see one ending up like mine mechanically (burning oil like crazy, shelled out turbo that'd been R&R'd by someone who should have stuck to Chevies, no preventive maintenance) but looking that good - eating up a ton of value when you consider how much time and money it takes to fix.

Anyway, I'd say the US 931 is about the power level the 924 should originally have been (it's kind of sad that was only 140ish, but at least it's got decent get-up). The US models were especially anemic, but this is the era when a V8 Mustang couldn't crack 140 HP (and we saw cars like th "King Cobra" that was all spoilers, scoops, and decals with no more HP). Even cars like the Trans Am and behemoths like Cadillacs and Lincolns with 6.6-7.5L engines barely managed 200 HP in the late-70s. I'm not sure how much Porsche could have done with what they had, but it's a shame they couldn't have eeked out a bit more power; I guess they saw the problem, based on the 931 and 944. The lack of power probably wasn't a shock back then, not when there were a lot of cars being sold that couldn't draw a speeding ticket on the highway no matter how long you kept your foot in it. Now it's either a part of the car's charm (if you like being able to hold your foot to the floor and hunt for redline just going to get groceries), or a huge liability if you crave at least a little push-you-in-the-seat action. That's where things like morghen's supercharger kit are perfect. Forget chasing modern sports cars, but at least it gets you out of the minivan/econobox range. It's too bad there isn't much room for improvement with a NA motor: if you could hit 150HP without going crazy (and expensive) with head/valve work and so on, that would be nice. Just probably not going to happen though, not without spending crazy money (given the likely results). Ultimately, the car is what it is: it drive and handles great for how cheap it is, and the engine either a solid, simple piece of engineering to you, or it's a roadblock.
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
It's a very nice car, and probably worth the money if it's REALLY what you want. If it doesn't speak to you though, and the seller is pretty firm, I'd move on. It's in great shape, but even a car with no blemishes (like the cracked dash and ding in the back) would probably have a hard time fetching that price. A 931 at that price would probably be worth it, but it's also easy to see one ending up like mine mechanically (burning oil like crazy, shelled out turbo that'd been R&R'd by someone who should have stuck to Chevies, no preventive maintenance) but looking that good - eating up a ton of value when you consider how much time and money it takes to fix.

Anyway, I'd say the US 931 is about the power level the 924 should originally have been (it's kind of sad that was only 140ish, but at least it's got decent get-up). The US models were especially anemic, but this is the era when a V8 Mustang couldn't crack 140 HP (and we saw cars like th "King Cobra" that was all spoilers, scoops, and decals with no more HP). Even cars like the Trans Am and behemoths like Cadillacs and Lincolns with 6.6-7.5L engines barely managed 200 HP in the late-70s. I'm not sure how much Porsche could have done with what they had, but it's a shame they couldn't have eeked out a bit more power; I guess they saw the problem, based on the 931 and 944. The lack of power probably wasn't a shock back then, not when there were a lot of cars being sold that couldn't draw a speeding ticket on the highway no matter how long you kept your foot in it. Now it's either a part of the car's charm (if you like being able to hold your foot to the floor and hunt for redline just going to get groceries), or a huge liability if you crave at least a little push-you-in-the-seat action. That's where things like morghen's supercharger kit are perfect. Forget chasing modern sports cars, but at least it gets you out of the minivan/econobox range. It's too bad there isn't much room for improvement with a NA motor: if you could hit 150HP without going crazy (and expensive) with head/valve work and so on, that would be nice. Just probably not going to happen though, not without spending crazy money (given the likely results). Ultimately, the car is what it is: it drive and handles great for how cheap it is, and the engine either a solid, simple piece of engineering to you, or it's a roadblock.

Thank the late 70's american fuel crisis for this, even the fastest cars got made slow, we got relinquished to the charming category haha
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lovely 924 (the one in the link from the first post).
Great spec as well, but as a reminder in regards to the SC kit, it is not compatible with the AC, you cant have the factory AC compressor and the supercharger at the same time as they share the same mounting space.
If you want to keep AC, you have to install an electric AC compressor.
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story short, there aren't any later model 924's within a reasonable distance... there aren't even that many 944's. And I just can't bring myself to buy any car, sight unseen, and have it transported.

Out of the 9 or so cars (all 944's) I've inquired/called about, most don't have ANY maintenance records, 4 were "salvage" titles, another was advertised by the seller as a "Florida" car (but the carfax shows it lived the first 20 years of it's life in Pennsylvania), another was clearly a "flip". There's alot of crap out there is what I'm saying... and I don't really like 944's.

I'm looking into one final 944 (1984 model, 2 owner with alleged maintenance records back to 2001). If that turns out to be dud, I'm going to pick up the 924 I originally posted. If I can get it for $10k, budget another $5k for interior/cosmetic stuff and Ciprian's SC kit, I believe I'll have a car that I'm happy with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: