Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Welding the Battey box Area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924gtracer  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Welding the Battey box Area Reply with quote

I wasn't sure what to title this. So as I will be cataloging my recent 924 Turbo exploits shortly. I now have 4 in my Shop...anyway I have been working on the while I wait the titles before I really jump on these projects with more money. I have building list of repairs and such for each car. I promise I will get pictures of them. One of the 1981s need help..it is surprisingly the original Grey metallic paint. She needs love everywhere. The concern I have is that the upper frame area the connects the battery box through the firewall to the passenger strut tower is rusted all the way through..very badly I might add.

I have yet to decide if I am willing to sacrifice one of the other cars to repair this one or weld in some sheet metal. Is the area actually a support area or just aesthetics? The rusted out area runs the entire length of the battery box to the firewall. I will add pictures soon. Has anyone had to do this repair? If so, did you use a donor car or sheet metal?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMJ3HPccJUm0vXj4IB49BszvMrGZjnW8kWAvVk8EcAX157B5EQyrfT3aWUl0-ayzg/photo/AF1QipNibPeyCNG_H4D_FbTdUU_kICn_rst_3A3linuR?key=YVJBRXFleFA0NkhpbzZ0S3FRSU95MWUtNzIwZ0NR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMJ3HPccJUm0vXj4IB49BszvMrGZjnW8kWAvVk8EcAX157B5EQyrfT3aWUl0-ayzg/photo/AF1QipMST_qprhutleZoH38PFPKAzr9IQ2WEI_qYb7_d?key=YVJBRXFleFA0NkhpbzZ0S3FRSU95MWUtNzIwZ0NR
80 931 Guards Red
93 Ford Mustang GT Impact Blue and Silver
14 Ram 2500 Black Gold
22 X3M Comp Toronto Red
peterld  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen worse, much worse.
Very much a structural area.
Unless one of your other cars is a total wreck, it would be a shame to cut up a 924.
In any event, you are dealing with a double panel in the outer area so once you have cut out what you need to, use a 'weld-through' primer on all areas. PPG amongst many, makes some great products. As the original metal has a galvanitic coating, you will need to grind a greater area around the area to be welded, to ensure your welds take properly.
After welding, and paint, spray Valvoline Tectyl 506 or similar into those hidden cavities.

Last edited by peterld on Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structural area for sure. Its a complicated area to fix, because there is more than actual hole you are seeing. Layers...
You don't need to cut up another car to fix it. If you are competent to fix it, fabricating some patch panels from sheet metal is not a problem. Its mostly for aesthetics where it might be easier to make it look factory.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
924gtracer  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input. I truly do not want to cut up a car. I am an ok welder. Been a few years, i will get some sheet metal stock to get my confidence back and get the Propper welder settings. I have stitched body panels before. I have a MIG with Argon bottle so I feel I could da a good job. I will spray some rust preventative until I have more time to get in there. I will not how much need to the be repaired until I pull the fender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: