Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bucket seats in 924 - ergonomics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raize  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Bucket seats in 924 - ergonomics Reply with quote

Do bucket seats work in the 924 for tall drivers? I have one knee on the door and the other on the centre console when I'm driving because it's the only ergonomic way to do so.

I'd like some bucket seats because my stock seats are DEAD but I'm worried they force your legs almost straight and I would end up in conflict with the steering wheel.

Maybe a smaller, dished steering wheel with a spacer?

I'm 6'2" for reference.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your length shouldnt be an issue, the seat need to be mounted as low as possible though to get helmet space above you. Spacing out the wheel is the biggest enabler for a good driving position, should be done on any 924 regardless of seats. It creates loads more room for the knees
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shift linkage came apart again so I never managed to go and see the bucket seats I saw locally.

Now it's held together with cable ties. It's actually not a terrible solution, no way they come off, but eventually they're gonna wear and I'm gonna be stuck in gear again.

It's not for tracking so I don't need a helmet, it's just I hate the stock seats because they are destroyed and unsupportive and it's cheaper to get some buckets than to get a decent pair of Genuine Porsche Seats.

They say noone drives a Porsche because they can't afford another car but it's literally the truth in my case, I know the mechanicals back to front, the tax and insurance are free and dirt cheap respectively, and I don't do a lot of miles so the poor fuel economy is not an issue.

How would you recommend spacing the wheel? Is it just a matter of using spacer rings on top of a boss kit? Would you recommend a dished wheel or just use extra spacers on a flat wheel? Are there any other things to consider?
Jaffar  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car came with an Momo wheel. Even though it is a small diameter it still got in the way of my knees. Installed a extender that can go out up to 50mm and solves all the problems. Problem is I cannot remember where I got it from.

Its not really the seats that make the driving position a bit weird it is the wheel being so low. The only problem with the extender is that the wands are a bit far away, but who needs a turn signal.

Sorry can't figure out how to post a image.
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raize wrote:

How would you recommend spacing the wheel? Is it just a matter of using spacer rings on top of a boss kit? Would you recommend a dished wheel or just use extra spacers on a flat wheel? Are there any other things to consider?

You can do this i 2 ways:
The easiest way: Get an aftermarket wheel and hub adapter. You can get a wheel with a dish, you can also use a spacer between the hub and wheel to increase the distance.

The "stock" way: Remove your stock wheel, you will find a "crash structure" between the wheel and hub. Cut it off between the crash structure and hub. Extend by welding in a pipe between the hub and crash structure. A 3" exhaust pipe is close enough, you will need to slit it and expand the diameter a little.
This looks stockish, retains most of the crash structure. Been using this for almost 20 years on my 911 -77.

You can extend about 5 cm, after that the stalks get a little harder to reach, YMMV.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for better seats for sportier hatchbacks at the scrapyard might be an option. I'm not a big fan of race seats in a street car, there are several drawbacks:
1. Its harder to get in and out.
2. The wear easier (partly because of 1.)
3. Hard to get the lap seat belt to fit tightly (should be the most important point)
4. If they don't fit perfectly they will give you back pains on longer trips.

It can be an equally difficult task to fit bucket seats as seats from another vehicle.

The best solution would be to find stock sport seats, but that could be more money than the car!
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckets are not always an easy solution. There will be work around the mounting of them, low as possible means the seat runner may not possible, meaning fixed side mounts, meaning welded fixings, meaning getting the angle of seat base and fixed back relative to steering wheel requires trial and error or multiple mounting holes in the fixed seat mounts, also meaning rear access will be limited, depending on depth of side bolsters will stock three point seat belt still work and be safe..... lots of food for thought.

PS I'm 5'9'' and needed the Recaro seat to be on the floor. Looks lots of trial and error, welding etc.

A good option mentioned is a new wheel/boss to allow the seat to go back further and give more knee room. A removable wheel/boss also makes it easier to get in and out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: