Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Alternative Brake Calipers for 924na??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mkol  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Alternative Brake Calipers for 924na?? Reply with quote

Hi Guys - it was all going so well... been having a great time restoring the front suspension/brakes on my 1979na and then i snapped off a bleeder screw...aggg!

ive tried every trick i know, (which is quite a few by this point!) and i think its beaten me.

cant seem to find a new or used caliper for a sensible price so does anyone know of any confirmed bolt on alternatives?, Audi? VW? im sure i saw somewhere that a 80s/90s Passat would work.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you bore it out? Or take it to a local machine shop that can do it?
Mkol  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Can't you bore it out? Or take it to a local machine shop that can do it?

that was my last resort but i thought there was issues around getting the new bleeder to seat properly once a new thread has been cut
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every trick probably included an "easy out" but in case I will ask...did you try this down the center hole of the broken off piece? They make these in a finer thread version as well. Please ignore if you know and/or already tried them

1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread somewhere hear about using a VW Passat caliper - you could try digging up a pair of those (I wouldn't do just one). If we're talking replacement, I'd think you could find an original replacement eventually. It's somewhat common to swap out the early brake setup for the later four-wheel disk setup, so there have got to be a few guys around here with a good caliper sitting on a shelf. Given the size of the bleeder and how little success I've had extracting that kind of thing, I'd probably take it to a machine shop (and you might have to shop around for one that takes that kind of small job).

The only way I would try and extractor myself on something like this is if I could heat that sucker up, and I mean red hot. If the threads are corroded, my experience is that you just can't get enough torque to break them free cold. If you break an extractor off in there, it makes it difficult to impossible to drill out. Even if they can't get the broken end out, as a last resort a machine ship could drill it out and thread and install a bigger bleeder. You could conceivably do that with a hand drill and the appropriate taps (you'd need two: a standard tap, and a bottom tap), but with a significant possibility of ruining it...
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
There's a thread somewhere hear about using a VW Passat caliper - you could try digging up a pair of those (I wouldn't do just one). If we're talking replacement, I'd think you could find an original replacement eventually. It's somewhat common to swap out the early brake setup for the later four-wheel disk setup, so there have got to be a few guys around here with a good caliper sitting on a shelf. Given the size of the bleeder and how little success I've had extracting that kind of thing, I'd probably take it to a machine shop (and you might have to shop around for one that takes that kind of small job).

The only way I would try and extractor myself on something like this is if I could heat that sucker up, and I mean red hot. If the threads are corroded, my experience is that you just can't get enough torque to break them free cold. If you break an extractor off in there, it makes it difficult to impossible to drill out. Even if they can't get the broken end out, as a last resort a machine ship could drill it out and thread and install a bigger bleeder. You could conceivably do that with a hand drill and the appropriate taps (you'd need two: a standard tap, and a bottom tap), but with a significant possibility of ruining it...

I'm with bear on this one, those reverse extractors have only ever broken and given me more grief. Weld a nut on it or take it to a place that can, worst case send me a PM or email. I think I have a few spares kicking around
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a machinist for ten years now and when we need to remove broken screws we :

1) Drill out as much of the screw as you can by looking up the minor diameter of the thread and drill to leave just enough that you don't bugger the threads in the part. What this does is to relieve the strength of the insert. The thicker it is the harder it is to get out. This is the most finicky and difficult part of the job. The more time you take and the better job you do if it the easier steps 2 & 3 will be. Many times, if you can drill it out so the remainder is paper thin then with a simple pick you can collapse the top part which breaks the seal of crust holding it in.

2) Heat the part gently with a torch. Not red hot but maybe 200F, *Just too hot to touch.* Then drops of penetrating oil overnight.

3) Use a LEFT HAND taper tap and start threading it into the hole of what is left of the stuck screw. Usually by about the 3rd or 4th turn the thing comes loose and you just spin it out.

This trick was shown to me by an old Czech tool and die makers and it has never failed to work. We remove little 6-48 scope ring screws even, doesn't matter the size of the part.
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the above techniques work but it depends on your patience, experience, and the situation. Extractors don't work once you remove too much material but the left handed tap idea could in a thinner wall application.

If you are really good, you can remove most of the material and peal out the thread with small screwdriver and pliers. I just did this not a month ago on a 16mm thread

You just have read your situation carefully as you go.
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Mkol  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really appreciating all the detailed replies guys thanks.

I first snapped off one EZ out and then managed to drill it out again, tried with a bigger one and then that duly snapped too, it somehow took the top 1-2mm of bleeder with it though so now its sitting a few mill below the surface with the second EZout stuck in it!

Im going to try the drilling it out method by gradually increasing the bit size until i can hopefully pry out the shell as mentioned here. as im sure youve all experienced the trouble is getting a perfectly central bore..

there is a guy on ebay here in the UK selling a VERY crusty caliper for £50 currently but for all i know the bleeder is seized in that too!
scm924s  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/brake-calipers-10907/porsche/924/924-1975/2974-2-0?

Do your own checks to ensure correct part.
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Mkol  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to follow up on this...

SUCCESS!!!

for anyone in the same situation that finds this thread...

i managed to drill it out by gradually increasing the size of the bit and then used another EZ out to pull out the shell. the key here was that i went and bought some fresh cobalt drill bits and that made the whole thing a lot easier. I was also very careful not to drill too far and damage the seat.

I did manage to slightly mangle some of the threads but slowly screwing in a new bleeder and backing it in and out seemed to sort that out.

I know that the new bleeder is seated well enough as it sealed enough to allow me to push out a very stuck piston using a bike pump on the bleeder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: