Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Ceramic coating exhaust manifold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Ceramic coating exhaust manifold Reply with quote

I know this topic has been brought up before but I need some clarification. I just got my BAE turbo manifold and I'm thinking about ceramic coating it along with the turbo housing to increase life span and keep temps down a bit. I've read in previous posts that it is a good idea for an NA engine but not a turbo. Is this true? and if so why? The place that I plan to use is http://www.hpcoatings.com/ anyone use them yet?

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jpab924  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that lost heat = lost power. If anything you may get a quicker spool up rate.

You have to consider this:

A turbo-charged and a naturally aspirated engine will develp about the same amount of heat because what controls exhaust temps is the air fuel mixture, cam timing, and I believe spark. (I read this somwhere some time back)

Don`t forget to run a proper exhaust (with the right dia) too large of a dia. will actually make your exhaust more restrictive. Get yourself a high flow cat (for your emmisions) and a good turbo muffler (seeing that there already is a restriction in your exhaust-----the turbo charger) Having a turbo charger quiets the engines exhaust down considerably.

.... choose a muffler wisely. Get a muffler with good flow characteristics.

IMO, I would vote for getting your exhaust manifold ceramic coated (or even try jet hot?) Use a reflective color, not black. I`d leave the turbo alone.

OK...this is just my opinion and you are the one who makes the final decision......I am not responsible for any maladys that may occur!
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that thing about ceramic coating not being good with a turbo seems wrong.

The only thing I could think of would be of you were coating the inside of the manifold. If you use a cheap coating or the prep work is not done properly the ceramic can lift and break up because of repeated expansion and contraction. Turbos probably don't like small bits of ceramic being thrown at them. The bright colours are worse for this and the "chromes" are the worst of all because of the high metal content.

If you're only doing the outside of the manifold then it doesn't matter. Theoretically the insulating properties of the ceramic should help keep heat in the manifold and reduce the heat in the engine bay basically like wrapping the exhaust which all the turbo boys say is a good thing.

As for colours, black is the purest ceramic (least amount of metal added) and will last longest.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
jpab924  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Ok. Pick whatever color you want I`ve heard people saying not to use black?

I`ve changed my opinion in coating the turbo....a few searches on ceramic coatings took me into some turbo forums and the guys all coat their turbos.
Alot of people are writing about Jet Hot. I`ve read nothing but praise for the product. Do a quick search, it will pop up.
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I've got some more research to do and another product to look into.

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: