Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Driver School Weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Driver School Weekend Reply with quote

I went back to our club driver school this past weekend, I'm basically still an old rookie so the the track time of about 2 hours helped. We hold it at Pike Peak IR near Colorado Springs and it is a 1.2 mile roval so you get a lot of laps in. An improvement that really helped is a 944Only.com shift lever. It replaces the original with a lever with a threaded bolt. The shift shaft is sandwiched by a set of thin needle bearings between washes and makes the assembly rigid. It completely changes the fishing around for a gear on the stock system. It fits both the Audi 4 speed and 5 speed transmissions and is not all that expensive.

I got on a set of corner balance scales for the first time. Not terrible, but got a little work to do on that, Weight distribution with me and some gas is 47% Front, 53% Rear. Car weight +- a couple 2163lb or 983kg. My lower limit per my set or rules is 1900 If have no idea how to get close to that. A fiberglass hood and Lexan might get me close to 100lb(about $1K) but after that it would be things like a mini alternator and BTR racing making me some aluminum motor mounts it would get really, really expensive in a hurry.

I found I need to put in a brake balance adjuster as the rears tend to lock on threshold braking, a next winter project. With the 944 brake setup you need your shoulder harness to stay in the seat when braking hard, 85mph+ down to 30.

But then it is springtime in the Rockies this is Monday morning

If someone can tell me how to make this image show up I'd appreciate it. [img]https://imgur.com/KeiZZwE[/img]

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)

Last edited by MikeJinCO on Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat time is always a good thing!!

Surprised you need bias control, makes me wonder why. Is the plumbing right? You running the same compound front/rear (should be)?
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll redo a smaller copy of the picture. I'm running Hawk HPS as the only thing I could get at the time. I need to stiffen the left front spring a bit to improve balance, R665/L589 that could be part of it. Next race doesn't have any corners where really go to threshold braking.

'67 MG Midget Dp

Last edited by MikeJinCO on Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are both rears locking, or just one? I fought the RR for some time on my car because I was struggling to get a good corner balance with my fat a$$ in the LF. Never completely resolved until I got LSD (and now brake balance is 100% spot on). As Vaughn mentioned, correct plumbing and correct MC?

1900#? I can only dream. 2600 for my car, this weekend I was 2645!
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, check the diagonal cross weights and adjust the spring heights to get it right first. But it shouldn't really be rear biased if everything is std.

Do you still use the torsion bars? Otherwise you can cut down and simplify the rear suspension alot, as some have done. Lexan hatch is the obvious one if you haven't done it, many diy versions are around, few look nice but they are light . I guess you already use stuff like lightweight mirrors, tiny battery etc
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumbing can also be wrong if you (or someone else) converted from 4- to 5-lug and didn't match the lines up with the MC ports... I did that wrong when I first put it together, one rear wheel was plumbed with a front as an X split, but the MC was designed to be TT aka H-split (front/rear, vs. diagonal) and so the one rear had too much pressure...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plumbed it in H fashion, my splitter fitting fastened to the tub near the trans. I'm using a 944 master cyl.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: