Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

S2 931 EFI Conversion DIY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kondzi  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love these WS coil towers. I've converted almost all of my (classic) cars to these. You'll enjoy that mod as well.
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Moar BOOST - more tuning Reply with quote

Another round of boost tuning in the cool weather. Have bumped it up to just a hair over 11psi right now; with the cool weather and the IC, WOW is this thing a party! Almost useless levels of power for 2nd gear - not spinning wheels yet, but fast enough to require substantial attention to not earn a ticket in no time flat. Of course, I live in the suburbs, not the sticks, so nowhere to misbehave without being noticed.

That's OK, as the highway is right nearby - and the highway manners of this car have improved immeasurably over stock. Between having a lot more power on tap in the high gears, and no more misfires whatsoever, it's much more comfortable in the 60-80mph range (highway speeds around Metro Detroit).

Of course, it can still throw some pretty good smoke up high - 5kRPM and on. Still needs work there, probably ring condition (turbo was recently rebuilt). Not sure if a lack of break-in miles with higher RPMs, or that the rings are funky and need purging. Switching to Mobil1 will help if there's funk in the ring lands, but it'll screw it up pretty good if it's a ring break-in issue. Running Valvoline VR1 20/50 at the moment, since it's perfect in the racecar. Probably will switch by the end of Oct.

Gotta take a video of some highway pulls, too, one of these days. Lots of entrance ramps for doing so legally...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure how your boost comes on but mine hits like a nitrous button so be careful spooling while you’re in a corner or anywhere really be ready to catch the tail if it breaks loose, especially if it’s even just a little wet out..
Not to brag, but I’ve even broken loose in 4th with lsd going completely straight on good pavement after a slight drizzle..

Hold on, you are the racecar driver here not me
I’m sure you know what you are doing..

I found that only adding an intercooler, everything else being stock, was a very noticeable power improvement..
I see that you are up to 11psi now so you have much to look forward to because I think something magic happens at right around 13 where that little bit of extra boost makes a big difference, on a 2664..
13-15 is a very nice place to be imo ime..

Smoke only at high rpm? Idk..
Could check the intake to see if it’s coming from the comp side and the progression of plugs and hot side, breather etc..
I like your thought that it just needs more thrashing though..

I too want to log and take video of a couple more pulls while it’s cold and before I put it away for the winter..
My heater core leaked so I bypassed it which makes my poor car even less suitable now that is getting cold and wet out.. Defrost would be very nice right about now, heh..

But yeah, I’m gonna thrash it a couple more times as much as she’ll thrash and see what happens..

I also found my 36 tooth saw blade for my jig to drill out a crank pulley for a crank sensor, but I’d like to get my hands on another dual pulley crank pulley to work on instead of removing mine and putting my car down to do the job..
I like to keep my toys operational the most I can during projects so I can move them around and such.. don’t like to have things sitting in not running states if I can help it.. I know too many people with a bunch of projects sitting around and none of them are ready to run..
Right now ALL of my machines run, and I like it that way

I think I like the bolts in the pulley idea so maybe I can shoot the sensor at it from the side instead of from the back.. Or maybe slice it into 36 tabs, and even bend the tabs to whatever angle I want to shoot it from.. Not sure yet, really need to stare at it for a while and think but I have been very busy otherwise and have just been putting a lot of miles on my 931 and not tinkering with it much.. My 931 has been on quite a few long trips out of town and staying out of town with me recently doing work..

Have a job interview Monday for Clean Harbors too so that could make me extremely busy if they make me a good enough offer..
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
...I think something magic happens at right around 13 where that little bit of extra boost makes a big difference...

That's funny, I've always thought the same around 12psi. The car really seems to come alive and is really fun in 12-16psi range.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augh, you guys are killing me!!! Just a tease!!

OK, OK, drive a bit more, and a little more twist of the knob...

Yeah, this car literally cannot make enough power to truly scare me; am used to running at and beyond the grip limit in RWD cars with well north of 500hp. Not the racecars; the day job, things with blown V8s etc: Corvette, Camaro, and Caddy Vs. Have worked on Corvette since the 2010 C6, first intro to them was the first modern ZR1... for which we (I) developed the PTM racetrack TCS... good fun, still doing it, only the engine's in the right place now.

...and then the ZL1 and 1LE 6th Gen Camaros... ATS-V and CTS-V... this poor little 2L will NEVER come close to matching those, so I long ago gave up trying to get there. Better off buying a C7 GS or Z06, cheaper faster and easier.

Rather, the 931 is giggles and fun for a nice-driving street car. If only it looked as good as it runs... some day...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Commuting!! Reply with quote

First drive to the office today - about 40mi one way. Dark out, about 40F, but lovely and exciting drive. Still waiting for my pulse to come back down - pretty thrilling and also a bit nerve-wracking!

Runs just beautifully, though I'm still fine-honing the tune (honing, not hooning!!!). Did notice my WBO2 is reading a bit different in the ECU than at the gauge, have to adjust that and keep tuning. But it's on the safe side yet, ECU is seeing a leaner mix, so actual will be on the rich side.

Only real problem now is the rings. Still smoking. Hoping I can drive it a lot and make a dent on that, but there is admittedly a very real possibility I have to pull the motor, deglaze, and replace the rings. Just don't have space to pull another car apart...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
kondzi  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you don’t have any misfires. A stable programmable ignition is something priceless, I will need to work on my ignition table in my green 931 as well. But winter is just around the corner, so probably next year. And yes, it’s fun to drive these cars, so much different from heavy modern ones.
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to share my ignition table - just don't have pic hosting to share here. FB would be easiest.

Meanwhile - great day of driving yesterday, around town, and more expected today, but the smoking rings just isn't going away; facing two options, give Mobil1 a try (in the thought that the rings are full of crud, instead of improperly sealed), or just suck it up and pull the motor to redo the rings.

Probably gonna have to park it after today, just goes through too much oil...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt! Reply with quote

So an update to the old post... after much time wasted amassing parts and working on racecars, I finally got to the motor rebuild. Only just fired and drove for the first time yesterday, after a marathon week of rebuild - pulled the motor out only last Saturday, the 16th, making it an 8 day slam session.

Did find the bores more worn that I'd have liked, at 0.010" over, so next time I'm in there I'll have to be looking at new pistons and punching it out to 0.020" over. But it's back together and I can mash through some break-in miles before the snow flies, I think.

However: this is the FIRST time for me, in MANY 924 rebuilds, that I was able to just turn the key on the freshly-installed motor and have it fire right up!!!

Truly an amazing experience, after so many years where I fight with fueling and ignition timing until it breathes to life. This thing just lit immediately and started purring. Made all that effort to convert to Microsquirt so worth it.

A little early to say, yet, but I do hope the smoking will be under control and I can enjoy the car without any further major work for a while...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
I'm not brave enough to do EFI on my 924 yet..but i think its coming as i can see more drawbacks of the original system and the stuff connected to it.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell ya what, it sure made the removal and reinstall of the motor a lot faster, to not have to deal with all that original plumbing!! Much more efficient.

Unfortunately, all my exhaust plumbing is still stock to the cat, and that was just as painful as ever. Spent hours just reinstalling all that crap, and getting it all to line up and hang properly. So painful. Definitely feeling like a revision of that is necessary for the next iteration - and a modern turbo with an integral wastegate would sure go a good ways towards simplifying that...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i had EFI and could still have it look original and registered as historical vehicle.

Hmm...i always wanted to try gutting the CIS metering head and use it as a fuel rail...just need to figure out how the modern injectors would stay on the old fuel lines and on the 924 head. Some discrete wiring can be made.
Also, wondering if i could run VEMS off the dizzy spark and not the crank.
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
I wish i had EFI and could still have it look original and registered as historical vehicle.

Hmm...i always wanted to try gutting the CIS metering head and use it as a fuel rail...just need to figure out how the modern injectors would stay on the old fuel lines and on the 924 head. Some discrete wiring can be made.
Also, wondering if i could run VEMS off the dizzy spark and not the crank.

I wonder if an adaptor can be made that the stock lines thread into, and they are designed with the GM style injector clips to hold the lines to the injectors.

Would then need some small brackets that hold the injectors to the cylinder head. I would think the 4 top bolts/studs for the intake would work.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i have something like that in mind since some time now..talk about pointless stuff, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: