Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

steering shft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
After_Thought  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: steering shft Reply with quote

Does anyone know where i can get a new intermediate steering shaft for a 1977 porsche 924? i have heard that some people buy a 944 one and cut and weld it down to size, is this true?
After_Thought  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually just found this one but is says for RHD cars, would it work for my LHD?

https://www.design911.com/Steering-U-Joint-Shaft-924-478419951C/prod4768/
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you come up with anything for a steering shaft? Mine died two days ago. A RHD one probably won't fit as it has to work its way around the exhaust manifold. I found Porsche Classic has them for an unbelievable price and some in UK. Supposedly the bottom U Joint is the same as the Borgeson 11/16 40 spline joint (from early VW Rabbit) on it both sides are splined so some machining/welding may be required.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a used one at RetroAutomotive in Vermont, hopefully it is usable. Several hours after I ordered it, I found out that Martin Willis at The Machine Shop in Colorado Spring has all the parts to rebuild them or build new ones, apparently the same size parts fit the 944 line also. You can also build your own using Borgeson parts that fit the VW Rabbit. I believe but no guarantee that the splines ends are an 11/16"(17MM) 40 spline(#13428) then use a 3/4" 16 spline shaft of the appropriate length. That combination of pieces will cost approximately $200 as the U-joints are $85 ea.

Again, I haven't done it, but so there is no guarantee on this. I have worked with Martin on a couple of other projects, he is pretty much and expert on 356,924 and 944 Porsche, No cheap, but what custom machine work is?

'67 MG Midget Dp
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I should post a follow up. The used one I found was for some other car so it went back. Looked similar with same brand of joints but more heavy duty and the length shorter. So I sent mine into Colorado Spring to The Machine shop and am now getting a new one back. The fellow found the manufacturer of the U-joints, has them in stock, which are a bit cheaper than the Borgeson's. He said the same basic setup is on all the 924-968 cars, just different lengths. He uses a piece of 4130 tubing for the shaft, so it is on the way back by now. I'll probably put it on the race car and move the race car one to the street car. Cost about $200.

'67 MG Midget Dp
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit- 4130 tubing to bar stock, 4130 is easily weldable, 4140 not so much.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: