Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Low profile floor jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Low profile floor jack Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a quality low profile floor jack. Currently using a floor jack I bought 25 years ago. It's been a workhorse and still works great for my stock height cars but it won't go under the '82.

My main concern is a low min. height. I'm thinking 3" or so. I don't want to go nuts but spending a little extra for a good tool is worth it to me. Any recommendations?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I am quite a bit of a "tool snob" in many ways.. I buy the vast majority of my tools used from garage sales, auctions, pawn shops and such, but am really a stickler for quality brands and for the most part I don't let anything that isn't made in USA/Germany live in my tool boxes..

But, that being said, If I was to go buying a new jack, I would still probably just buy one of those low profile long reach Harbor Freight jacks..
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-long-reach-low-profile-professional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-green-64785.html

Because, good luck finding any modern jack that isn't made in China/Tiawan anyway, from any brand..

They are literally 99% exactly the same jack that Snap-On sells for 3-4X the price..

https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/09/15/harbor-freight-daytona-dj3000-the-floor-jack-snap-on-absolutely-hates-for-this-reason/

Also, while on the subject..
If you want arguably some of the best metric wrenches in the world for a great price check these out..
https://www.tbs-aachen.de/Spanners_c3545.htm
The precision hex fit is impressive and the alloy is something else entirely..
I have read that they are basically the standard wrench patterns that BMW/VW etc design their cars to be worked on with, and Porsche even calls for some of them specifically for some jobs (the double box end offset ones)..
Loves them..

And.. Great forum for shop tools discussions..
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=e826f1e25ad4fc55100f7be8d5246227&f=4
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit overkill for a 924? What does it weigh? Need an engine crane to lift it?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
A bit overkill for a 924?

Yes
But it's long and low so should work good for a low car I would think..
Not very hard to scoot around on concrete..

And I also lift really heavy vehicles like the F450 very often so I guess I didn't really think about it being overkill..
Still think I would need a bottlejack for the motorhomes and tractors and such..

I don't have that jack myself but have used a couple of them many times in a couple of local shops and I'm jealous.. Wish I had a longer reach jack because getting under the front of the M3 is tough.. It's even deeper to get all the way back to the crossmember of that..
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the cash buy the best AC DK13HLQ:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg2.htm

Or the sturdier variants if you need. I bought a bacho 3T low profile jack since it was on sale, a nice jack though if it was only for the porsche the 1.5t version would be slimmer and better.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really help, because I don't think you can get them any more, but I use a Craftsman aluminum racing jack for my cars. The HF aluminum jacks aren't the worst, worth the cost for weight reduction, but expect everything to come loose and have to be loctited.

As such, the Craftsman jack doesn't fit under the front of the #77 racecar, still; we have to drive the car up onto wood ramps to get the jack in far enough to reach the crossmember. Raise the front to just barely get on stands, then raise the rear, then maybe the front again.

It doesn't have a problem with the stock suspension Turbo, just reaches the crossmember from the front.

My racecar requires formula car quickjacks, and even that barely fits under the front splitter. LOL

Have you considered Quickjacks? We've used them at work, and they really are most excellent for getting under all those low Corvettes with side aero etc, no damage...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
...jack doesn't fit under the front of the #77 racecar, still; we have to drive the car up onto wood ramps to get the jack in far enough to reach the crossmember. Raise the front to just barely get on stands, then raise the rear, then maybe the front again.

Exactly! That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's not a huge deal but I'm getting lazy and want a more convenient solution.
Cedric wrote:
If you have the cash buy the best AC DK13HLQ: https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg2.htm

I really like the looks of this one. Low profile with an extra tall lift. Could be quite handy to have.
924RACR wrote:
Have you considered Quickjacks? We've used them at work, and they really are most excellent for getting under all those low Corvettes with side aero etc, no damage...

Quickjacks weren't really on my radar but they are now. They look like an excellent option. Is there a particular brand that's better?
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That AC jack looks like a really sweet tool!

@jazz as far as I know QuickJack _is_ the brand. They're owned by BendPak who are a huge lift maker of all sorts. The QuickJack is just the kind that you slide one on each side of the car under the frame rails, hook them up, and boom lifted.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, Quickjacks is the brand name; it's like having a low-rise lift in your garage, but can also be put out of the way.
https://www.quickjack.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpZT5BRCdARIsAGEX0zn8lry40Ia-dKfyoUFm8F8Jp8iwh8T2Uo8Cb9G817VhWRPSyWIXKzwaAjgmEALw_wcB

I'd already have a set for working on street cars, if I had room to store 'em (my garage is seriously overfull with two racecars and race gear and tires and...). They're perfect for getting up on stands (really, they are their own stands with integral chocks) and doing tire/suspension work.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go with the one that most people here get, including myself...

The Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack.

$70, hard to beat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: