Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Wiring a complete 924 1982 2.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnhgf  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Wiring a complete 924 1982 2.0 Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

In march i have bought my first car - a 1982 Porsche 924. Previous owner said the engine and fuse box went on fire, the inside of the car seemed like after a flood, but overall car was in good condition, of course i immediately fell in love with it and had to buy it. After installing a new ignition coil the car was running and functional, although i have decided not to risk and to put the necessary time and effort into the vehicle.

So, i took out the whole interior, and decided to fix all the wiring by myself, although i have practically no experience with electricity. Cables were pretty messed up so i had to remove the harness completely - i have cut it in the spot between the engine bay and inside of the car and took it out. The car inside is just steel now.

I hope to post my progress on the job here, and maybe get some advice. I didn't manage to take out engine bay harness completely yet. I have Haynes manual, and i am learning to use it. I have bought a multimeter, all kinds of fuses, and planning to buy a wire stripper and wires next. Then i guess i will just test if the fuses are ok, and i will gradually replace every wire on original connectors. The problem is i dont have electricity in my garage, so i will replace the wires at home first.

So few first questions that i want to ask:

1. The best wire size - is 1.5 everywhere a good idea?
2. Dangerous spots where i should not make a mistake - of course i dont plan to connect the battery unless sure everything is connected properly, but still - any dangerous spots i.e. sensors, fuel injection?...
3. Any useful advice? Where can i get proper understanding of engine bay wiring - what goes where and why?

Photo of my lovely little baby. Hope to finish the job perfectly!

https://ibb.co/0DhQSn4
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than trying to piece out every wire, you should ask if anyone here on the 924 board had a wiring harness that they removed from a car. There are many different colored wires in the harness and the shop manuals will tell you what color and what they connect to. If you tried to replace them with wiring that you buy, you will never get the correct colors. Plus many of the wires have a primary color and a different colored band or strip on it.
Welcome to the board and ask here for help and parts first.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
bnhgf  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Rather than trying to piece out every wire, you should ask if anyone here on the 924 board had a wiring harness that they removed from a car. There are many different colored wires in the harness and the shop manuals will tell you what color and what they connect to. If you tried to replace them with wiring that you buy, you will never get the correct colors. Plus many of the wires have a primary color and a different colored band or strip on it.
Welcome to the board and ask here for help and parts first.

thank you for the answer. my original wiring harness was already messed up and repaired in multiple places. maybe someone could help with buying a harness replica? There are some used harnesses in my area but they look messed up as well
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at EZ2wire ready made harnesses years ago. Might be still around.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
bnhgf  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a good idea to use aftermarket VW golf mk1 wiring harness or some audi as a base? any suggestions? thanks
Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a complete 924 1982 2.0 Reply with quote

bnhgf wrote:
Cables were pretty messed up so i had to remove the harness completely - i have cut it in the spot between the engine bay and inside of the car and took it out. The car inside is just steel now.

OMG. The Electrical Harness can be removed from the chassis in one piece by moving everything back into the cabin. Removing the pedals and steering column (and seat) will make it easier accessible.
When putting it all back in the car one starts at the fusebox location.

bnhgf wrote:
Maybe it's a good idea to use aftermarket VW golf mk1 wiring harness or some audi as a base? any suggestions? thanks

Golf Mk1 wiring is too short and does have differences through the years/engines, as does the 924's Electrical Harness.

If you choose to go after just a section of the Electrical Harness, being the one going through the firewall, these involve the Red, White and Transparant Connector Housings and many of the Relay's on top of the Fusebox plus the extra Fuseholder. Not an easy task.
I'd look out for a replacement in Europe (ROW LHD).

Good Luck,
Harm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: