Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Residual/ Rest Pressure Bad by Design?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyS  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Residual/ Rest Pressure Bad by Design? Reply with quote

Hello All,

Working on my 80 924 and I have a observation that maybe you guys can assist with.

I lose rest pressure very fast despite new injectors, accumulator and check valve. I also serviced the FD pressure relief valve.

I have worked extensively with CIS on the 928 platform. In that application, the WUR return line goes to the fuel distributor and therefore is controlled by the pressure relief valve. On my 924, the return for the WUR is directly plumbed to the main return line, after the valve.

So unless I am missing something, it will drain down the return line unfettered and therefore its impossible to control residual pressure? I noticed the earlier cars seem to have a different line configuration.

Thoughts?

1980 924
1979 928
1987 924S
2008 997
safe  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Residual/ Rest Pressure Bad by Design? Reply with quote

GuyS wrote:
Hello All,

Working on my 80 924 and I have a observation that maybe you guys can assist with.

I lose rest pressure very fast despite new injectors, accumulator and check valve. I also serviced the FD pressure relief valve.

I have worked extensively with CIS on the 928 platform. In that application, the WUR return line goes to the fuel distributor and therefore is controlled by the pressure relief valve. On my 924, the return for the WUR is directly plumbed to the main return line, after the valve.

So unless I am missing something, it will drain down the return line unfettered and therefore its impossible to control residual pressure? I noticed the earlier cars seem to have a different line configuration.

Thoughts?

You have a fuel accumulator near the tank, that is often broken. Also a check valve in the fuel pump (I think).
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you measuring the residual pressure? As I'm sure you know, the intent of the design is to maintain pressure in the injector fuel lines to reduce vapor lock.

I'd pull the new injectors and look for drips after shutdown.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
GuyS  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Residual/ Rest Pressure Bad by Design? Reply with quote

safe wrote:
GuyS wrote:
Hello All,

Thoughts?

You have a fuel accumulator near the tank, that is often broken. Also a check valve in the fuel pump (I think).

Correct, I replaced the accumulator, the old one was weeping. I have a new pump with new external check valve. Thank you!

Quote:
Where are you measuring the residual pressure? As I'm sure you know, the intent of the design is to maintain pressure in the injector fuel lines to reduce vapor lock.

I'd pull the new injectors and look for drips after shutdown.

I will double check them. I am measuring in the standard fashion Gauge set between WUR supply line. Thanks!

I realize this design has been around for 40 years, but I have never seen another CIS system plumbed in the same fashion as the 80-81 924. Is there anyone out there who has proper residual pressure on these years measured with the valve open on their CIS gauge? It does not seem possible to hold any pressure when the WUR is plumbed directly to the return line.

I appreciate the posts, thanks!

1980 924
1979 928
1987 924S
2008 997
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the WUR should hold residual pressure too.. Maybe strip-clean it and see what their is to see in there..
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
I think the WUR should hold residual pressure too.. Maybe strip-clean it and see what their is to see in there..

No, its just a somewhat variable "restriction" to create a pressure differential.
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyS

I have a 1980 NA also and expereince the same thing with Residual Pressure loss (on the Control Side).

Have changed numerous components while restoring the CIS system.
Even the "Hot Start Valve" on the side of the FD is functioning ( that was included in systems from 79 on) to alleviate the hot start problem.

I am at a loss of why the pluming is that way to the tank return and my pressure falls within 3-5 minutes to 0.

Anyone any thoughts ?
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used the CIS gauge and took residual readings with the valve open the pressure fell in 3-5 min.

When I took the readings again with the valve closed the pressure stayed above 2B for 6 hours.

BTW.. WUR was rebuilt.

I am thinking of using a "fuel pump check valve" right on the dizzy feed going to the WUR. This will hold the residual (control) pressure.

Any thoughts anyone ?
Jim d  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a procedure for determining why the cause for low residual pressure.

To distinguish between these, eliminate the possibilities one at a time by isolating the components. Begin isolating the source of the loss of rest pressure by re-pressurizing the system, closing the valve between the WUR and the pressure gauge. If the pressure no longer drops, it most likely the gas cap but could be the WUR. If the residual pressure continues to drop, pinch off the line after the fuel pump, then re-pressurize the system and watch the residual pressure. If the residual pressure no longer decreases, replace the fuel pump check valve. If the residual pressure continues to drop, pinch off the line after the accumulator. If the residual pressure no longer decreases, replace the accumulator(s). If the residual pressure continues to drop, pinch off the line to the cold-start injector. If the residual pressure no longer drops, replace the cold-start injector. If the residual pressure continues to drop, pull all of the injectors an look for leaks after the pump is turn off.
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciate the troubleshooting procedure Jim. Getting the car ready for spring/summer and will follow this guide. Will post results once I find the culprit . Thanks again
Jim d  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should of added, that if the WUR is checked and found to have both good control & system pressure, then the gas cap has to be the cause. This is in reference to the first check. Good luck with it.

BTW, I grew up in East Nothport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: