Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weissach it to me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldwolf wrote:
It's amazing how well the Tweed held up. Almost every piece of plastic breaks or cracks. I have aspirations of redoing my entire interior. Can't do much about the fading

Definitely!

I think for the most part it's something that falls to the wayside when I hop in and drive. One day redoing the whole thing would be pretty nice, but I'm not in a huge rush. Car drives like a treat, what more do you need right?
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=21794

Tacking this post here so I have a reference when I need it. I replaced the rear sway on my 931 with a M030 Lindsey bar and adjustable end links.. My links were good so all I have to do is buy some brackets and bolts and I should be able to use this stuff and give the Weissach a nice upgrade.

The outer brackets and bolts are available but the weld-on brackets to the torsion housing I don't think are around anymore -- might have to go with the exhaust clamp method (clever!) when I install this.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got new tires yesterday -- 205r50/15 Nitto NT05 -- and they handle amazingly compared to the 20 year old (yes date-coded 0300) Eagle GTII tires that were on there, as you might expect. It was OK for the occasional around-town I was doing, but I have my first track day coming up in two weeks at Blackhawk Farms, and one of the must-haves is fresh rubber.

To get this back on the road I took the not-buckled radiator from the 931 and installed it in the Weissach, but I didn't change the fan switch when I did so -- I should have looked but I thought I recalled the 931 not running too hot. Big mistake. All year it's been 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge before the fans kick on. I have been flipping the A/C on just to run the fans and cool it down on these hot days we've been having. Got a 70-75 switch installed this afternoon, and after a REALLY aggressive run I could not break 1/2 on the temp gauge.

--

So while it was at the mechanic I remember him telling me he had a heck of a time tuning it but he got it running pretty decent compared to before I took it there.

I've been doing a lot of reading the last few days on account of having just picked up a Weber Redline TB. I'm pretty sure the issue he experienced was fighting with the Electronic Idle Stabilzer, described by gohim in this post. I also do not see a plug inside the hole for the mix adjustment screw between the intake boot and fuel distributor -- I bet this is causing me some problems as well.

I haven't decided yet if I want to tackle this prior to the 17th... Might just mess around with it tomorrow, might put it off. I still haven't seen anything conclusive regarding the mounting of the microswitches on >80 model year either, and that's giving me pause too. TBD.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this Leonard wheel I got while cool looking has turned to crap -- nearly all the leather has flaked off. One day I'll get it recovered in a nice quality brown leather to match again, but for now I just needed a quick solution so I got a Momo Competition wheel. It's slightly smaller, more ergonomically shaped, and most importantly won't fall apart on me! (I hope...)

Old n busted...

New hotness...

ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: 924 restore Reply with quote

Enjoyed your past posts. Your car is almost a twin to mine. I just finished a 2.5 year rebuild. A couple of things you mentioned I encountered on mine. I had the dash redone in a saddle tan. Looks nice. I found a fabric for the seat inserts and also the seats sides. Had the seats partially redone. Got new carpet from Home Depot. They have a brown that looks good. If you want to see it I can send you a couple pictures.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 924 restore Reply with quote

ted von Kampen wrote:
Enjoyed your past posts. Your car is almost a twin to mine. I just finished a 2.5 year rebuild. A couple of things you mentioned I encountered on mine. I had the dash redone in a saddle tan. Looks nice. I found a fabric for the seat inserts and also the seats sides. Had the seats partially redone. Got new carpet from Home Depot. They have a brown that looks good. If you want to see it I can send you a couple pictures.

Thanks Ted! They are a really sharp looking car I think. The two-tone tweed is my favorite. I am not ready to do the carpet in it yet but I have seen the least expensive offering from RockAuto and it looks pretty decent, so I will probably go with that -- it's only a few hundred dollars I believe, compared to the upper end approaching a grand or more...

---

With the help of a friend this afternoon I tuned it a bit. Disconnected the idle stabilizer and dialed in some more timing advance. Got it up to about 13 degrees advanced and it is a lot peppier than before! Set the idle at 700 and got the mix to a nice smooth idle. I'm very happy. This feels very much transformed from before and the flat spot is mostly gone. I've got a lot more pull all the way through the rev range and no knocking. It's not 931 boost giggles, but it's a lot less of a slug.
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Carpet & tuneup Reply with quote

Do you have a PN from Rockauto. Just interested to see it. I actually dialed in a lot of advance to get rid of the laq. I have been fueling with 91 Octane no alcohol since I started working on it. The engine tolerates the advance okay. I use the no-alcohol gas because this car was full of varnish and I had to remove and clean it. The Alcohol is not good for the old rubber hoses and this car sits a lot. I think the no-Alcohol is good for it.

Another thing. While there is a long story with getting this engine going, the engine had old Bosch plugs in it and they were fully carbon fouled. I bought a new set of Autolight 63 plugs and put them in. Recently we took the car on a couple hundred mile trip and noticed that the idle would misfire more after the trip. I pulled the plugs and they looked good. Clean and not fouled. Just for kicks I cleaned up the old plugs and regapped. I put the Bosch plugs back in and found that the ide smoothed out and the engine acceleration was better. I think I might buy a new set of Bosch plugs to install. Anyway good luck on your 924 and they are fun to drive. I would like more power. Recently there was a posting on the Facebook 924 page about a 924 that ran the salt flats. From what I could find out the engine was a 4 cyl Audi with a 931 head and lots of work. They got over 200HP from a NA engine. I think they got the 924 to about 150MPH on the flats. Faster than I want to drive a 924 but the power would be nice.

Carry on and good luck with your 924. If you know someone that wants one I am going to sell mine. I have too many cars now. ....Ted
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, This is the link to the RockAuto carpet -- they have gone up a couple hundred in the last few months -- surprise surprise...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,1981,924,2.0l+l4,1263271,interior,flooring,1264

Still not really much compared to e.g. Werk924 at ~$1700 shipped! http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=401252#401252

Good to hear that your experience with the advance is the same. I've been running Bosch plugs as recommended and always premium fuel. I have not tried fuel without alcohol as the only place around here that has it is Casey's and there aren't too many of those stations. Have heard from other old VW guys that it is the way to go though in the older cars...

As far as more power, for now I am enjoying how this car behaves and I'm waiting to see what the supercharger quest Morghen is on in the Performance subforum leads to. I hope that he offers the connecting bits he designed for sale, as I would love to strap one of those devices on this car. It would be well worth it for the around-town responsiveness alone!

If you're looking to sell, why not post it in the For Sale subforum here? I bet you'd find a buyer pretty quickly.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Drove at Blackhawk Farms today! Reply with quote

I drove on track for my first time ever today at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, IL. This was for a PCA Chicago Driver's Education event, and I had an instructor in the car with me for the first half of the day. I did five total runs, and only lost control one time, on the last run, three laps before the end of the day!! I set my brakes too hard in turn 4, trying to touch the inside of the apex there, and spun into the grass when my rear end swung out. No damage, nobody was too close behind me -- I was really doing quite well the last run keeping folks off my tail, really gathering more speed than I had the whole day. I got black-flagged and went down the pit lane.. the woman flagging at the starting line asked me what happened and I told her I was just being too aggressive with that corner, and she told me I had about five minutes left. Managed two laps after that.

No hyperbole -- this was THE MOST FUN I have ever had in a car. Other cars bring other feels, but the sheer excitement from driving on a track... whew. I cannot wait to do that again.

One of the things that was really cool about the day is how well the old NA 924 held its own against cars with 3x the power (or more). I was able to consistently hold more speed through the corners than a lot of them were. In the straights there is just no way I could keep up with any of them, but in the corners I watched more than a few drop behind me.. It'll really be great with more seat time, becoming smoother and learning the approach better.

So excited... What an absolute riot!
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are hooked!!! Without fail, once you do it you just want to keep going!
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
slowcarfast  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away a while, just catching up.
I've also been enjoying this thread. Very cool about your track day.
My brother-in-law gave me a PCA membership at X-mas (an aeon ago) and I was excited to do a driver's ed day at the track this year. Never done any performance driving before. But with covid, they pretty quickly stopped doing sessions with an instructor in the car in my neck of the woods, and I wasn't interested in doing it without that one-on-one. I'm surprised you were able to do a traditional track day ed event in July. I'll just aim for next summer...
Give me a summary of what you did to the car before your track day. From the thread, it looks like you kept it very simple: a good tune, fresh performance tires, uprated rear sway bar from the 931, and just general sorting. What else?
Hank.
1981 924 Weissach Ed #187
1971 MG Midget
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who bought Ideolas Weissach? That's 4 of us for sure. We ought to do a reunion. I have a blast driving mine.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowcarfast wrote:
Been away a while, just catching up.
I've also been enjoying this thread. Very cool about your track day.
My brother-in-law gave me a PCA membership at X-mas (an aeon ago) and I was excited to do a driver's ed day at the track this year. Never done any performance driving before. But with covid, they pretty quickly stopped doing sessions with an instructor in the car in my neck of the woods, and I wasn't interested in doing it without that one-on-one. I'm surprised you were able to do a traditional track day ed event in July. I'll just aim for next summer...
Give me a summary of what you did to the car before your track day. From the thread, it looks like you kept it very simple: a good tune, fresh performance tires, uprated rear sway bar from the 931, and just general sorting. What else?
Hank.

Thanks Hank! I am also surprised I got an in-car instructor; that's just how it fell together here in IL, and there may be one track day left (in October) for me but if I only get the one this year I'm very happy.

If you've not driven a track with an instructor I would definitely recommend it. It was an eye opening experience to be sure!

Pre-track-day checklist for me was:
* oil change
* brake fluid flush
* would have flushed coolant too, but it was fresh -- did need to replace my fan switch though and boy I'm glad I did!
then, yes as you suggested
* tune up (just tweaked distributor for more advance and messed with the idle/mix screws to compensate)
* fresh tires (ended up w/ NT05 but from the thread in the race subforum I posted in I would probably not recommend them for track driving -- someone recommended them for auto-x but suggested other compounds for a track)
* new steering wheel (Momo Competition) because the leather on my stock wheel is unstitched and the leather on the replacement wheel I got was crumbly garbage...

In the past several years though I sorted a lot of aspects of the car including refreshing the suspension where it needed it. I did not install the 931 rear sway (have no rear sway on my Weissach) but intend to do that in the future..

Since that track day I have had a couple issues that need my attention when I can get to it...
* wobbly >50mph -- I suspect front A arm bushes, as they were the only ones I did not refresh
* one of my electric fans died
* box-o-rocks noise (experienced twice, above 4k RPM, so I've kept my driving civil) that I suspect is related to either the clutch or the torque tube but cannot diagnose

That last item is not a thing which I'm sure how to diagnose or figure out, as it's only happened twice and only when I was trying to drive very aggressively (as I know now the car -- at least at the track -- is capable of handling) so, do I drive very aggressively to a shop which I can then put the thing on a lift? I am tempted to have it taken to a shop that specializes in 924s (there's a good one owned by a forum member in the northern Chicago suburbs) but unsure how much money I want to spend on this car.

All that said, I will be putting more effort into getting my 931 going for next year, because it's a more aggressive car and will serve me better in the straightaways with all the modern high powered cars. I have other plans now for the Weissach...

Goldwolf wrote:
Who bought Ideolas Weissach? That's 4 of us for sure. We ought to do a reunion. I have a blast driving mine.

GW, no clue... it was not in the greatest shape if I recall. Needed more restoration love than either of ours I believe. Would love to do a 924 meetup! Despite the problems I listed above after my track day I've been still driving mine every day (very mild mannered) and it's great as long as I recognize the limitations. One day soon I'll fix up those couple things, I keep telling myself.

This second half of the summer I've been working a lot on my wife's 1963 Beetle sedan, and once I'm done with that I will be fixing the shifter on my 931, so it's just a matter of time...

---

So glad y'all bumped the thread. I'm glad you're getting something out of it. These cars really are a treat to own and drive, you know? I highly recommend driving one at the limit. There's nothing like it.
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was in pretty rough shape. I have basically re-done the drive train minus transmission. Engine rebuilt, fuel system rebuilt, new clutch, rebuilt ignition distributor. The brakes and electrics were good. Still have lots' of small stuff left.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
slowcarfast  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have other plans now for the Weissach...

Yeah, I saw your post about doing the EV conversion!
Very ambitious; I wish you well on that journey. Part of me would be sad to see a classic internal combustion engine powered sports car disappear, but really, it's not like you'd be destroying a Lambo Miura. And I appreciate your aesthetic of trying to preserve as much of the character of the car as possible.
1981 924 Weissach Ed #187
1971 MG Midget
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: