Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Conversion of US bumpers to Euro style bumpers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Conversion of US bumpers to Euro style bumpers Reply with quote

I have seen numerous postings about the 924 bumpers made for the US versions of 924's. Indeed they are ugly. I have seen numerous postings about converting to European bumpers and they do look nice. My question is: has anyone converted the US style bumper to style more like the Euro bumper with actually buying a Euro bumper set. It seems to me that the US bumper mounts could actually be shortened by taking the shock absorber style mount out and placing more solidly. Has anyone done that? Thanks
snakoil  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have converted my rear bumper with the euro part using the euro mount
The mounts on the bumper are very similar and I guess you could use US struts with euro bumper but I don't think you could collapse the struts enough to mount flush

For the front I did the good old drill the shocks and shaved the bumper pads
canyonblaster  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped to euro front bumpers on my US 931 years ago. I sourced it from someone on here. Had the porsche body shop do it, ez. Then had the whole car wrapped. IMHO totally transforms the car.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul has shipped euro bumpers to US a few times - https://wooliesworkshop.com
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a euro rear bumper and put it on the track car, about half the weight of a stock aluminum one. I took the stock mounts, removed the shock and welded them back together, sort of guessing at the length. I didn't get it quite right as there is about 3/4" from the bumper to the body, but fine for my purposes. I also at the time, didn't know where it should fit or how to bolt it on. The euro bumper does not have threads in the mount so the bolt system is somehow different, maybe a nut plate fitted into the molded bumper? My front is a lightweight aftermarket fiberglass and that is a completely different/homemade setup. For someone looking to be perfect Porsche it is really a thrown together setup, but very little of this car is actually stock anymore. I'm sending you a PM.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy euro mounts + the specific bolt for the euro bumpers. The bolt is a 'pointed' type to make get into the retaining nut on the mount easier.

Euro bumper + euro mount is way lighter than US

Try to get the lamps, bumperettes...including the ones between driving and turn lamps with the deal so its an easy bolt on and no NLA parts missing.

Many on Ebay UK, DE, etc. or go to Woolies as Paul has shipped in the past, which isn't easy with the size and weight of bumpers for an individual without pallets and commercial shipping access.

PS......if you go euro bumpers, then get rid of your fender markers too... they are fugly!!
Harm  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion of US bumpers to Euro style bumpers Reply with quote

ROW Rear bumpers are now sold new by Porsche.
Price is a bit steep: 416,71 EUR
but so is shipping.
I wonder if Porsche would sell these in the States.

https://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos/zentralseite/924/modell-924/karosserie/anbauteile/stossfaenger-hinten-fuer-porsche-924-477807313.html
curtisr  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove and drill into the bumper shocks and drain the fluid from within or do this while they're still attached to the car. They can be collapsed to get the look you want. I would 'adjust' this with the shocks in its original position (extended) and then you need only push the bumper with your hands until you get the look you're after.

Warning: this might represent an insurance issue; however, I doubt it. You will certainly lose your 5 kllik forgiveness. The euro fixings are rated at 3 kliks (if memory serves) and are easy to install.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

416 euros for brand new bumper is reasonable imo, considering that it is for ancient car.

That said, i have several euro front and rear bumpers, some perfect, some less. PM if someone is interested, can ship to US too.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
curtisr  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's quite the pile of cars you have/had!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion of US bumpers to Euro style bumpers Reply with quote

Harm wrote:
ROW Rear bumpers are now sold new by Porsche.
Price is a bit steep: 416,71 EUR
but so is shipping.

But then you need the lights, and the mounts, and paint, maybe trim?

Gonna be like $1k each after all that..

Carrera RSR wrote:

Try to get the lamps, bumperettes...including the ones between driving and turn lamps with the deal so its an easy bolt on and no NLA parts missing.

Yeah that..

curtisr wrote:
You can remove and drill into the bumper shocks and drain the fluid from within or do this while they're still attached to the car. They can be collapsed to get the look you want. I would 'adjust' this with the shocks in its original position (extended) and then you need only push the bumper with your hands until you get the look you're after.

This is what I did, and blacked out my side markers with smoke/black taillight tint spray..

I think it looks pretty good..

curtisr wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's quite the pile of cars you have/had!

And has probably tuned many many more..

Raceboy is about he best tuner we have around here and I wish he would check out my latest logs in my "Stage Next" thread and let me know if he sees anything worth mentioning... hint hint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: