Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

S2 931 EFI Conversion DIY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: CLT sensor was fine, but the "BMW E30" sensor cal that's in the TunerStudio SW was no good for the E30 sensor I have!!

Thanks to FastEddie again for sharing his cal for the sensor; it was indeed correct and all is well now. To emphasize which one, it's the last column labeled "gauge sensor" that matches what I'm seeing in the car.

Looking at it again, I realize that I guess what he's written up is in fact that the BMW DME ECU actually uses a different sensor, and the sensor I bought is used for the gauge, not the BMW ECU.

Back to plugging things in...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
I realize that I guess what he's written up is in fact that the BMW DME ECU actually uses a different sensor, and the sensor I bought is used for the gauge, not the BMW ECU.

Exactly, except its E36, but whatever..
The DME sensor and gauge sensor have different threads/bung sizes, and the gauge sensor (black) is the one that fits the 931 housing..

All my wiring works but I'l like to hire someone to do a super professional job on it some day.. Make it all pretty..
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

Exactly, except its E36, but whatever..
The DME sensor and gauge sensor have different threads/bung sizes, and the gauge sensor (black) is the one that fits the 931 housing..

Ah, that can impact things too... no worries, sorted now!

Fasteddie313 wrote:

All my wiring works but I'l like to hire someone to do a super professional job on it some day.. Make it all pretty..

I do know a guy... works to a Bosch Motorsport standard (having worked there, hence how I met him). He's in the Farmington area IIRC - not sure where exactly you are...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traverse City - Torch Lake area..
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cool, not horribly far away!

Big day of progress yesterday. Finished wiring up the system; in particular, got the injector harness built and the ignition system plugged in.

The latter was very interesting; all I needed to do was plug in one wire, the IGN1 wire from the MS, in place of the DITC trigger wire into the igniter on the fender. All the rest of the wiring is still good and in place. Super-easy, once you already have the sensors in place for the MS.

Direct coil fire setup is certainly nice, and not saying I won't eventually go there, but for now, this makes for a very quick conversion.

Makes one wonder how simply this could be done as a conversion to eliminate the DITC, if an earlier distributor is used to trigger a spark-only MS install...

I also finally dug in and got the IC to fit in up front. Didn't have to carve up the front bumper beam; doesn't look like any of the IC is shrouded by it when at the correct angle, which is nice - though more open would be even better.

What I did have to carve up was the rad header panel; the hood latch is in there, but without the badge panel bolted in, it's pretty flimsy! So I'll be going back in to add some reinforcement later on, either bolt-on or riveted in, so the IC can still be removed if needed. Do still have to work up the mounts for the IC, won't be complex.

So it's damn close to running. Only major hiccup is the crank sensor. I got one of the leftover sensors from Dan, turns out it's a VR sensor, and I'm struggling to get it to register. Think I do have it wired properly now, but just not seeing anything. So that's a major frustration; barring that, I could slap in the old S2 charge tube and fire the motor.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Traverse City - Torch Lake area..

What! Sweet, we shall have to meet up this summer! I have been coming up there all my life. There is a 924 convoy of 3 coming up to Elk Rapids soon

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries!

We do plan to race the #77 ITB 924 at Gingerman (South Haven) in July... that's maybe a bit closer to that side of the state etc...

Though we don't yet know if it'll be a spectator event or not!

EDIT: It's the SCCA Summer Festival of Speed, Juily 25-26th, so odds are they're going to try to make it a spectator event if at all possible!

Also, camping is possible at the track...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
There is a 924 convoy of 3 coming up to Elk Rapids soon

When?
I Might be able to make that 4 for a little while, but you gotta promise not to laugh too much at my old rat rod of a 24.. She ain't no show car..
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Happiness is a working crank sensor! Reply with quote

Very happy, got my replacement crank sensor yesterday and installed. First sensor just happened to be bad out of the box - can happen.

Cranked her over with the logger running, and we have a functional signal!

Have to put some things back together, most notably to install the fans and refill the coolant, then we can think about firing her up!

Still working through the IC install, plumbing to get from the turbo outlet past the cam sprocket to the intercooler inlet still looks to be quite a PITA, but we'll work through it... hoping to make a serious dent in that this weekend.

But first, testing my racecar (the P2 prototype) this afternoon on the racetrack, cooling tests and shock tuning...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired up the first time yesterday. Running rather rich as it warms up, but doing OK; have plenty of tuning to do, and still have to verify timing and dial that in...

But it works!

Also still have to mount and plumb in the IC and boost control, but that's not stopping the tuning... just fabrication time.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Timing/sensor angle corrected (was off 5 deg), tuning continues... have driven it around the block countless times (sure my neighbors are so happy), slowly bringing the tune into line. Still feels like one cylinder is soft, which is intensely irritating... but even so, it's starting and more reliable/consistent than the old CIS was!

I REALLY like being able to just plug in, flash a tune, pull data, analyze it in the AC inside, then flash another update in...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Canada Day update, eh! Reply with quote

Latest update from playing yesterday with the tuning. Getting LOTS of hot running data, thanks to our current weather. Tune continues to improve. I had thought I was missing a cylinder, but not true, it's running smoother as I dial things in.

Have been chasing a misfire; had some before the conversion, so have been chasing such things on the ignition side, mostly by running new wiring for the ignition. But that doesn't seem to have helped other than give me peace of mind to not be a source of problems. I also swapped the coil for one I'm pretty certain is good (having run it on my racecar), no major improvement.

Still seems to come in as a problem once I get substantial underhood temps. Probably doesn't help that my MAT/intake temp sensor is still not actually installed in the intake, just hanging in the engine compartment. This is because my shipments of intake tubing to plumb in the IC have been delayed, very annoying. But they're finally on the way, after switching suppliers.

So now my theory is that my misfires have been due more to overrich conditions, and as I smooth the tune out I'm maybe getting rid of those transients.

Have been able to run it up higher in the revs with confidence, up to 4000rpm and full boost (want to creep up on this to minimize risk of damage). Previously, when too rich, it wouldn't even get to full boost and higher revs. So still making progress, if slower than I'd like.

Starts are good, but not quite as quick as I'd like; gonna keep playing with those, give it some more advance during crank to try to speed things up.

Just keep waiting on all those plumbing bits...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How consistent is your MAT temp on your logs?
If it is going up and down with different underhood air current it can really throw your tune off..

Mine was getting heatsoak and making me far too lean idling on a hot engine..
But cool the intake off with a bunch of boost and then idle, it would be back rich, till the heat soaked into it again and leaned it way out..

If your MAT is all over the place then maybe try tuning with it unplugged..
I had to unplug mine to get any sort of consistant tune untill I could get it out of my manifold and into my charge piping just after the IC where heatsoak didn't get it..

My 931 just got put back into DD service today because I ran out of BMW rear tires..

Needed a couple points of VE put into the cruising area for some reason.. Was cruising a bit lean..

Got a good driver and went for a long cruising tuning drive and got it nailed in real good now I think..

Turned EGO control off to tune.. Turned the step size way down and the % cor way down when I turned it back on..
It's good

Darn steering is like sticky for some reason, some friction in there somewhere sometimes like it doesn't want to return to center on its own easily like it should..
Will lift it up tomorrow and see what's happening..
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my logs, my MAT is pretty steady/smooth. But it does get awfully high for such short runnings. Thankfully, pieces are starting to arrive, so I can start to tackle the IC install and get that into the tubing properly.

Other points of suspicion - I left my decel bypass valve in there, and in yesterday's logs I noticed I was going FULL lean (22.4 on the gauge/out of range) on higher RPM coastdown. The points on the VE table there aren't so far out of whack with other loadings, so I'm suspecting I gotta get that thing outta there; thought it was still wanted, till I read up on it again and realized it was for the CIS. Another reason to get the right IC plumbing in there before trying to go too much further. More about bad running than misfires, unless it's flapping loose while on the throttle on occasion, screwing with the mix there too.

The other concern is my coil wire; I am suspecting it might not fit well enough to not pull out partially when hot. Will try swapping in the one from the racecar, see if it fits better, next time I'm testing the car.

Only two things that really get the steering stiff; lack of grease in the rack, or strut bearings/mounts...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: