Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Return Line Debris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Return Line Debris Reply with quote

Just bought an 82 924 that had been sitting for who knows how long. Both pumps were bad. Bought a Walbro to replace the external and omitting the internal. So hooked new pump to an external fuel source (clean tank, clean fuel). Used a separate catch tank for the return gas. Found a mouse nest in the air filter snout that completely blocked air intake. Two injectors not functioning. Cleaned the injectors. Ran about 4 gallons of gas through, including the return line. Got the car to start and run but I'm getting this debris in the return tank that looks something like tissue paper. Not a lot but it keeps coming. My guess is the fuel filter is coming apart? New filter will be here Tuesday but was wondering if anyone ideas. Made a short video of what it looks like. https://youtu.be/V6MXkWyAJ0k[/img]
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, haven't been able to install the new fuel filter because the new one doesn't come with fittings, and the fittings, at least on the outlet side, are not the same size. The new filter's thread size is the same thread size as that of the outlet on the stock Bosch fuel pump. I could use the check valve off that pump but it takes a banjo fitting for the fuel line and the stock fitting is, well, not. So anyway once I figure that out, I'll get back to you who have shown interest, on whether that stops the mysterious debris
emoore924  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the old fuel filter off without headache, just remove it and look inside. If its shedding filter material into the fuel lines it should be obvious.
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah got that off. As I stated I am going to replace it anyways. There was nothing obvious to see but still possibly the cause. New filter will be here early next week and will see if it makes a difference.
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New filter came early. Seems to have stopped the white paper-ish stuff. but still getting small flecks of ...rust I guess? Some kind of tiny particles. Will run more fuel through and see if it eventually clears up. May end up putting a filter in the return line too.
agfisher  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside, what are you doing with the fuel in the catch tank?
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was filtering it through cheesecloth before pouring it back in the feed tank, which is how I discovered the debris. Then I put a fuel filter in that line and ran it right into the feed tank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: