Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Supercharged 924 NA
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Supercharged 924 NA Reply with quote

So....i started with the 924 affair again in 2018...bought a trashcan 924 and wanted to keep it simple and cheap.
Then i took the same route i did 16-17 years ago...i did a 5 bolt swap...and it all went downhill from there.
So if you have a 924 and want to keep it simple...DONT do a 5 lug upgrade

Once a junkie always a junkie.
I did and do enjoy the NA quite a lot...but..human nature makes us want more.
This particular ROW engine is in good condition, runs great and i have no doubts that it makes its 125hp. Maybe even a hand full of extra hp as the head is lightly ported.

But...i wanted a bit more. I want it to wheelspin in second gear as it does in first. So i thought...i'll keep it simple..just strap a supercharger to it and easy peasy.
The idea was to keep the CIS, not modify the arrangement in the engine bay, keep and use all parts from the NA so that it can be converted back to original in an hour or so by just unbolting stuff. All original fuel lines, original fuel and air filter...basically keep it a factory 924 with a modular performance kit.
This has proven to be a good challenge.
The project is not finished yet but so far it seems like its not going to fail.

I'm close to having the first test drives...but for those interested, here are some details and pictures of the build.

Eaton M45 supercharger from a Mini Cooper S.
Pulley ratio to provide approx 0.4bar of boost on the 924 NA.
Rigid block attachment of the SC.
924 timing tensioner for the SC as well.
Alu crank pulley, OEM Mini SC pulley.
Custom SC inlet and outlet.

All single parts CAD designed, prototyped and validated for assembly and function.
Soon i'll start the complete system testing and we'll see what happens then.
After tests and final improvements i'll be able to replicate the whole thing as a bolt on kit.
I may do a group buy for those interested.

Here are the SC inlets, 3D printed, will be glass fiber or carbon fiber reinforced.

Pulley

SC inlet test fit in the engine bay

Here is a quick video showing the first belt test.
The charger was mechanically connected and spinning but it wasnt blowing into the engine or trough the CIS. Its a good video to look for the supercharger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhf8rrmYhIw&feature=emb_title
!tom  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, im intrested in tensioner, block attachment and crank pulley since i got a a m45 sc from mini aswell laying around.
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool, just a matter of time and it will have at GT kit on it!
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch924-racer wrote:

I think this will be the best sleeper 924 NA out there. Looks stunning as is without the need for wider body. The SC will be a real nice stealthy 40bhp addition to the 125 existing hp. Doesn't need to be big hp to get more driving fun out of the 924 chassis. The low down torque out of twisty country corners will be awesome which is where the 924 turbo lacks with its lag.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Dutch924-racer wrote:

I think this will be the best sleeper 924 NA out there. Looks stunning as is without the need for wider body. The SC will be a real nice stealthy 40bhp addition to the 125 existing hp. Doesn't need to be big hp to get more driving fun out of the 924 chassis. The low down torque out of twisty country corners will be awesome which is where the 924 turbo lacks with its lag.

Thats exactly the idea of this car. Fun and nimble. No GT/S kit on this one for sure, it looks great as it is.

I still have the GTS rear fenders mind you...but if i did a GT car today it would not be on this one and it would surely be a street GTR version with a 5cyl, modern turbo and a sequential gearbox...or at least a tiptronic with paddle shifters.
The NA can be made quite fun and nimble and to be honest this SC upgrade is not something that i feel the need for...its more of a challenge and fun designing and building stuff.
I'm not even interested in massive power gains, i just want to see how it is with a bit more torque and that SC whine.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I would also be interested in a kit if/when you get to that down the line. If you don't know what you're looking for, you'd never think a supercharger was in that engine bay but for the whine!
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since its drive it day i figured i'd make an effort and drive it today, even if just for a very short test drive with very little amounts of throttle.

This is the first time i've put it all together.
The kit needs refining for assembly ease but i managed to fit it.
There are a few cleareances issues that i need to sort out as well as further development needed to address some issues.

complete engine bay looks like this:

Here is the first start video:
https://youtu.be/y6BVBP88COI

First drive video with 3rd and 4th gear 10-15% pedal..you need to set the volume loud to hear the SC as at such low loads it barely makes a noise...which is great.
https://youtu.be/_BDyZsqvIC8

Fueling looks ok but i only drove it like 10 minutes and maximum 20% throttle since i dont have an AFR or boost gauge fitted yet.

The bad news is that the NA intake boot wont be useable in this application because it deforms and pushes against the fuel injector.

https://youtu.be/e9XeLZj-PF0
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another short video from today.

https://youtu.be/cUlRo8UdNH8
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I just got a text with a screen shot from facebook!

I knew it was yours...Sweet! Very cool
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it picked up a bit of vibe.
Cant wait to hoon it properly
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Morghen. !! So count me for a kit or two Great job and looks real promising.
gegge  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally stunned by the superclean installation Looks totally stock!

Are you running a BOV or magnetic clutch?

This would definity be a nice upgrade on my tuned NA. If a group buy, would it be possible to order a larger pulley? I already got +150hp and would like to max the M45 running at least 2:1 and donīt think the boost will be higher than 0,4 bar.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a recirculation valve that also acts as a BOV.
Simple and it works without messing with the CIS.

As you can see in the video i also posted above it works great.
I only drove it a bit since the supercharger needs an oil change and at that time the oil i ordered had not arrived.
So now its all in pieces again for the SC oil change and observations for the next wave of improvements.

The system seems to work as intented but at the moment its difficult to assemble.
I'm working on tolerances, ergonomics and sizes/shapes of parts to make it easy to install.

I have only run it up to 4000 RPM an 40% throtttle and it makes boost right off the idle mark. Max boost that i have seen is 0.2bar but with just 40% throttle the recirculation valve bleeds some of the boost back into the SC.
I have calculated the pulley ratio to get 0.4bar maximum but i'll measure the max boost once the system is ready to be driven at WOT.
Once i hook up the AFR to it and i can see whats happening with fueling i can go WOT and see what max boost it makes.

https://youtu.be/cUlRo8UdNH8
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice option for 931 inwoners also
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: