Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

ARP Rod Bolts Group Buy fresh thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: ARP Rod Bolts Group Buy fresh thread Reply with quote

Th othe one was getting long and wandering a bit. Lets start over.

I got price back yesterday for the rod bolts. They will cost $228 per set with a minimum of 10 sets. I got their email a couple of days late because of course it went into the spam folder.

First a couple of disclaimers.

1. When I first requested prices for the bolts we previously got, ARP said that they could not supply them because the previous ones were made to a drawing supplied by Dan Beckett(Ideola's Garage) and they regard that drawing as proprietary to him. I sent him a letter asking him to release it but did not get a reply. After another discussion with ARP I sent them a stock used 924 rod bolt as they said they could make a drawing of it and then produce it. It is their drawing so it will not be a proprietary part. The delay in getting pricing was due to the Christmas holidays.

2. I do not remember if there was any torque or stretch specified for the previous order of rod bolts and at this point I do not know what they should be for these new ones. I think it can probably be worked out with ARP's help, but as of today no guarantees. If some one has those figures we all would appreciate it as it is essentially the same bolt.

3. Prices do not include lube or the nuts. Both are available from many sources, JEGS, Summit Racing etc, cost is about $36-$38 dollars per set of 10 for the nuts. For folks who can't get them locally I can get get them and send them along provided my costs are covered. The set number I have for the nuts is ARP 301-8351, I have sent an email back to a ARP to find out what they would recommend and also for installation directions.

4. On installation because this is a stronger material than stock so the bolt torque will be higher than factory spec in order to get the proper tension on the bolts. This higher clamp pressure will distort the rod big end slightly. BE SURE to have the big end resized before using them. I checked with my home town motor machinist who works out of an oversize 2 car garage next to his house and he said it resizes everything it is SOP.

5.The price is $228 per set plus shipping. Delivery would be in 8-10 weeks after the order is placed. I think in the US a single set can be sent in a flat rate USPS box for about $8. I have no recent experience shipping to UK and Europe so I'll need help with that.

Payment: I'm going to have to pay out $2000 to $3000 up front and I'd like to make sure I get it back. For folks in the US and Canada I would really prefer a check of money order. I'm not all that trusting of paypal, but I just tried to transfer some money to my bank account, we'll see how that works. I also don't want to get stuck paying their fees. This price is the quote rounded up to the next dollar and then $2 added as I will have to pay shipping to me also. Again for the folks in UK/Europe I'm open to suggestions for payment and shipping, paypal may be the best option for payment.

I have contacted both EBS Racing and Mittlemotor. I don't believe EBS is interested and Mittlemotor might be so if you think you might need a set or two this is the opportunity. This is no more expensive than the new rod bolts and nuts that Porsche can supply as well as being reusable which the new Porsche ones apparently are not.

I'm going to set up a rod, torque it to factory spec and measure the stretch with a micrometer. It will be a used bolt, but the stretch should be similar to new, it will be a start on figuring out installation.

I Want to place the order by February 4 as we are planning an escape from the winter snow and ice here to Arizona for a couple of weeks.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to keep a list of buyers updated.

I have sent a couple of emails back to ARP on installation help, recommended nuts and if we could get the lube packs they send out with many of their bolt sets as not many people myself included need a full bottle of bolt lube

So Far 14 total We Made it to the minimum

Myself 1 set
924RACR 2 set
Fifty50plus 2 set
924-76 1 set
Tyfighter 3 set
EURO924S2 1 set
BTRracing 1 set
Hayeslewis 1 set
MoparBoy72 1 set
Hayeslewis 1 set

Mittlemottor is not interested as are using a different con rod now. My computer caught 2 drops of coffee and is being a real problem for typing

I have not heard back from ARP on lube packs on nuts. Will call Thursday.
Lube packs-Pegasus Racing $1.52, Summit Racing $2.99?

'67 MG Midget Dp

Last edited by MikeJinCO on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 7 times in total
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for two sets.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say something like 0.004-0.005" of stretch was what I got with the stock OEM Porsche bolts - when rebuilding the #77 motor this summer.

I even have the legit ARP bolt stretch gauge.

Will try to un-ass and get some measurements of the stock bolt stretch in a few for you, correlate some data.

EDIT: I do have the instructions for the ARP rod bolts on my GSXRs - that specs .0050-.0055" stretch, so my guess above sounds reasonable.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
924-76  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for 1 set with lub and nuts.
I'm in Canada and wish to pay via Paypal, sorry no check, money order or e-transfer.

Thanks
TJC  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the fence as I don't know if I will be going with the stock rods in the future but I would like to say something about PayPal, for what it's worth.

I use PayPal pretty extensively both for US and International sales. I get the buyer's PayPal address and issue them a PayPal invoice which I create under the "Request Money" section. They then pay from that. PayPal emails me a notice of invoice sent, I can print a copy of the invoice and so forth so there is a good paper trail of what has transpired and one is created with the payment as well. If you're concerned about the fees just tack another 4% onto the cost of the total for handling charges when you enter the shipping costs. Bingo!
I have never had an issue getting paid from PayPal on a sale. It's easy for all parties involved (21st century stuff hee, hee), and IMHO safer than checks. I only use it, USPS Money Orders or Cash for any transactions like this. One negative though, I have however had to wait a stupid length of time when I returned something and the refund took about 10 days after the seller issued it!!!
BTW, some may advocate using the "Friends" option for payment to skirt the fees but I personally don't do that.
Like I said, just my two cents.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal will probably work, I may need a bit of coaching to get it to work well.

'67 MG Midget Dp
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for 3 sets please.
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
Porsche 931 1980 (parts car)
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like 1 set please. If there are multiple UK buyers I'm happy to receive them all and then ship on to them separately.

I’m happy to send you the total for bolts, nuts and lube via PayPal gift so you know it’s in your account before shipping or ordering. I trust you so don’t want to pay the 4% for PayPal buyers protection you get if you send an invoice. Just tell me your PayPal email address and I’ll send the money in USD so you get the correct amount - PayPal exchange rate won’t be quite as good as google quote I suspect.

Thanks a lot for your hassle organising this, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
John.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With stock used rods, bolts etc, at the spec torque of 44 ft lbs, I measured a stretch of about 0.0060-0.0065" on the stock bolt.

Have some pretty pics, just gotta get 'em online...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning on placing order Monday.

'67 MG Midget Dp
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Checking the rod bolt stretch... Reply with quote

Hopefully all can see these:
https://www.facebook.com/vaughan.scott.3/posts/10213319882546400

Full album of 924 build stuff...
https://www.facebook.com/vaughan.scott.3/media_set?set=a.10212999625340170&type=3
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Planning on placing order Monday.

Great news! When do you want the money?

Thanks again for your efforts.
John.
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Checking the rod bolt stretch... Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Hopefully all can see these:
https://www.facebook.com/vaughan.scott.3/posts/10213319882546400

Cool, does that mean stock torque is still recommended when used with ARP lube?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to ARP Friday. I will call Monday to place order. They will take and hold my credit card number then prepare a drawing for signature that I will verify and I thought would send a copy to 924RACR for confirmation. I have both used 924 bolts and a set of the previous ARP bolts in some lightweight rods for a future motor for comparison. It will then take 8-10 weeks for production. So I don't need money for about 2 months.

Two folks would like lube and nuts, I need to get some tranny oil, so I'll just get them retail from Pegasus in a couple of weeks.

I will need contact info from all you folks by PM.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: