Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Timing belt replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Experiment_Mk1  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Timing belt replacement Reply with quote

So I got this 1977 924 essentially for free, and its been sitting for 20 years. I need to replace the timing belt, and from what I understand, the alternator is supposed to pivot on one bolt then swing along a guide so as to move out of the way of the main belt (the only other one besides the timing belt as far as I can see). Only problem is, its not moving. From what I can see there are only two bolts. I loosened them both, and the alternator still won't budge an inch.

Any ideas as to why?

Also, is there anything that I should worry about on this car that is prone to failure (more than anything else that has been sitting for 20 years).

All the help is greatly appreciated!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try hitting it a bit with a deadblow hammer or something?
Could be froze up from corrosion.. Make sure the bolts are very loose..

What sort of overall shape is the car in? Was it sitting inside or outside? Pics?

I see your other thread and you think it needs an engine rebuild? Why?
Engine might be fine..

The fuel system on the other hand, after sitting 20 years, will likely need some work..
Raize  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking off the water pump pulley will let you get the fan belt off without de-tensioning the alternator.

Once you're finished with the timing belt you can get the fan belt back on by putting it over the water pump pulley then brute forcing the pulley back on to the water pump.

I've done it several times when I didn't have access to the lower bolt on the alternator.
Experiment_Mk1  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. I don't think the engine needs rebuilt anymore, but I still need to tear apart the injection system.

I will see if I can't get some pictures soon

The car was sitting outside. I am in Southeast Alaska, but we don't tend to get too much snow here. The interior of the car is a complete mess, and the only definitive thing that works is the emergency brake.
The paint used to be a nice green. That was a long time ago though.
Experiment_Mk1  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perhaps I am just plain "special", but from where I looked, is seemed like you would have to take the large V-belt pulley with the 6 Allen bolts and big center hex bolt.

Please tell me I am wrong, because I have no idea of how I would get that thing off. Here is a picture (it's a link to a google doc with the image)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fQPO888nVsSPLiL0fEazNG4ZsP3i_b3q7rZ65TqzL00/edit?usp=sharing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: