Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Carbureted V6 Engine Swap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatHaveIDone  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Carbureted V6 Engine Swap? Reply with quote

So, my '81 924 base needs a new motor, so I figured I should do something fun. I have had it with the damn fuel injection on this thing so my 1 rule in this project is to go with a carb system. I am running into some issues figuring out what the heck I can fit in this engine bay though.

I want to go with a v6 to save on some weight, I want something reliable and easy to maintain, not looking to race my little girl around.

Anyone ever done it before? Have an engine you'd like me to look into?

I appreciate any advice you can give.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine swaps are not easy or legal in many counties.
Easiest is to rebuild your engine and enjoy the 924 as it was made.
Next easy option is to rebuild it and upgrade it for a bit more performance.
140hp is fairly easy to get and wakes up the 924 quite a bit.

I’m working on a supercharger bolt on kit for the 924 that i plan to sell copies of.
It will be available approx mid of next year.
It will provide an easy performance and driving experience boost.
WhatHaveIDone  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not possible, at this point the car has too many issues to make sense of working with what it originally had or trying to swap another underpowered over engineered 4cyl engine with a horrible fuel delivery system back into it.

Im in the US in SC so i can more or less do whatever I want with the car but Im trying to make as few headaches for myself as possible.

The hardest part of swapping in a carburated v6 from what I can see is getting it to mate up with the rear transaxle.

At best when finished it will be a fun tool around town car, nothing more, no frills etc just bare bones.
Raize  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult decision to be honest and I've resarched it extensively.

Nothing fits the 924 bellhousing and torque tube and engine mounts (some things fit to the bellhousing bolt pattern, some things fit to the driveshaft splines, some things fit to the engine mounts, but nothing fits to more than one of these three without modification).

I've decided to go down the route of modifying the original engine.
Since you're opposed to that, what you'll need to do is:

1. Find an engine that fits in the 924 engine bay. Most things which aren't more than 4 cylinders long probably will, but (almost?) everything will need a new oil pan fabricated to clear the crossmember and everything will need mounts fabricated. You'll also need to connect it to the 924 radiator, or adapt your donor radiator to the 924 chassis. You'll also probaly need to make clutch and throttle cables. If you're using a Vee engine you'll need to lose the stock brake booster. I'm also assuming you don't want to use any of the stock 924 "ECU" systems and will have some form of proper electronic control unit.

2. Mate it to the 924 driveshaft. The 924 driveshaft is 7/8" with 24 (or 23? can't remember) splines, a common VW pattern. So you can use VW clutches and pressure plates, but you'll need to drill the pressure plate bolt holes in your flywheel. Also, the 924 transmission is of debatable strength. Some say it can't even handle the stock power. Others have put over 300hp through it for a year (dutchpug). I have no idea personally.

The main thing that swayed it in favour of the original engine for me is that except for displacement improvements (which can be achieved with forced induction anyway) it is not currently possible to take advantage of modern engine technology such as GDI and SCI - even if you acquire the hardware, the (very complex) software is not available to the aftermarket.
WhatHaveIDone  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ECU is toast along with the fuse box and every sensor I have checked. Last owner did a number on her.

The whole electrical systems being screwed portion swayed me to just move to slightly older technology which is why I want a carburetor on her. Im figuring long term it will be easier to deal with but a huge pain in the ass up front.

Brake booster is already out, and Im thinking on what to do as a replacement but thats further down the line. I may just do an under dash system.....once i make a new dash.....

I'm thinking I may be able to shorten the torque tube and mount a VW bell housing/clutch system onto it, which would allow me to push the engine a little further back in the bay hopefully alleviating the cross member clearance issues, which is another reason Im thinking v6 instead of v8. Itll just be easier with a small v6 all around.

Im planning on a new radiator, I trust very little on this car apart from the suspension, body, transmission and steering column.
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatHaveIDone wrote:
which would allow me to push the engine a little further back in the bay hopefully

It is already up against the firewall with the stock engine.
Even worse, the firewall is asymetric, so a V engine will actually have to mount further forward by about three inches for the right side to not foul the firewall where the brake booster used to be.
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF8nHjGdFU

A conversion will be expensive no matter what. I don't understand the carb fixation, a modern efi is waaay better and easier.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I still had my 924 I'd convert it to electric.

https://www.google.com/search?q=porsche+924+electric+conversion+kit&rlz=1C1PRFC_enUS829US829&oq=electric+924&aqs=chrome.7.69i57j0l7.15707j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: