Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stage Next...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Mercedes 420 or 560 fuel distributor and upper AFM..

I think I could adjust my idle screw more lean and then hit it with more VE to get a little plate travel back if I needed to but probably don't..

I'm thinking about how to put an EGT (or TIT gauge) and a backpressure sensor into my manifold while it is still installed on the car.. Maybe some day..

A million sensors sound fun but they are a bit of a pita to do..

I just went to the post office and gas station.. Suppose I'll go load my new map and burn some of that gas..

It seems to work well now with the setup you have. You have headroom for much more fun as it is You wont be fuel system limited for a while at least. Is it a 2664 or 2667 compressor?

I actually bought an EGT, but did never install it, my plan was to put it on top of the flat surface above the collector, a perfect position for an EGT sensor. Back pressure is more nice to have than need to have, since its not as critical for the hardware, more of a performance indication.

Moving around the sensor is an alternative solution, if you think that your compressor is running out of steam, make a bung and move it there for a while to do some analysis. Then you dont need to add wiring etc.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Fasteddie313 wrote:
Mercedes 420 or 560 fuel distributor and upper AFM..

I think I could adjust my idle screw more lean and then hit it with more VE to get a little plate travel back if I needed to but probably don't..

I'm thinking about how to put an EGT (or TIT gauge) and a backpressure sensor into my manifold while it is still installed on the car.. Maybe some day..

A million sensors sound fun but they are a bit of a pita to do..

I just went to the post office and gas station.. Suppose I'll go load my new map and burn some of that gas..

It seems to work well now with the setup you have. You have headroom for much more fun as it is You wont be fuel system limited for a while at least. Is it a 2664 or 2667 compressor?

I actually bought an EGT, but did never install it, my plan was to put it on top of the flat surface above the collector, a perfect position for an EGT sensor. Back pressure is more nice to have than need to have, since its not as critical for the hardware, more of a performance indication.

Moving around the sensor is an alternative solution, if you think that your compressor is running out of steam, make a bung and move it there for a while to do some analysis. Then you dont need to add wiring etc.

Interesting idea to just move the sensor around..

The compressor is a 2667 but it also has a small #4 turbine housing so that's why I kinda worry about backpressure.. I don't know what a #4 can flow..

I've taken 3 points of VE out at the top now and I'm still dropping into the low 10s... See how my VE table in the top right there tapers down after 4050 trying to keep that AFR up..
[img]https://i.imgur.com/CIyRLRV.png
Has me suspicious that I might have a small boost leak somewhere making me rich on top..

Hmmmm...

Seems to have worked at low boost to keep it up though..
About 12.0 AFR all the way across 150KPA..
[img]https://i.imgur.com/1ieEAiB.png

Might be leaking a little boost over 10psi or so dropping my AFR?

Pulled a bunch of gears up a hill pretty good, enought to get my IC up to 115 degrees F..

But you see that little AFR spike every time I shift and get back into it?
I don't know what the heck is causing that.. I thougt it was airplate swing but it does not seem to corrolate to any bounce in the airplate position logs..

Hmmmm....

Beat the crap out of it good again and it didn't break though so that's a +..
Coolant temp stays nice..

Last edited by Fasteddie313 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww crap I might have found the culprit.. Yellow line on 2nd chart..

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED IT!!!FIXED IT!!!FIXED IT!!!FIXED IT!!!FIXED IT!!!

Look no spikes no more after the tps slams open!!

All this time I was thinking that this was just something I was going to have to live with with CIS and it was this stupid accel enrichment doing it to me this hole time???

How the heck was it accel enleaning me?
But whatever, now it's fixed and my AFRs drop right to rock bottom with NO BOUNCE when I stab the throttle..

How the heck it was giving me 1.7ms of accel pw and how the heck that was making it leaner instead of richer I do not know but now it is gone!!
Amazing..

Shit I can try for 20lbs of boost now that those spikes are gone!!!!!! <not really

Woot very happy..
This problem was one of my biggest worries!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, think I have a boost leak over 1 bar..

No amount of pulling VE is raising my AFR at high boost and I'm having a problem building anything over 1 bar of boost..
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad you sorted the afr peak, wouldn't have thought it was accel enrich since it was on steady full throttle..

Have you though about pressure testing the system? I will do that before i put everything together. Will plug the ends and put an air nipple on it so i can pressurize it. I think i also might have a small leak.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Im glad you sorted the afr peak, wouldn't have thought it was accel enrich since it was on steady full throttle..

I feel kinda stupid not having been able to figure that out untill now but it's not like I got much for good hints that it was that since I still have no idea how accel enrichment was making me lean instead of rich..
But no more of that little AFR bounce now, it drops straight to boost AFR now like magic..

Cédric wrote:

Have you though about pressure testing the system? I will do that before i put everything together. Will plug the ends and put an air nipple on it so i can pressurize it. I think i also might have a small leak.

This is a great plan but figuring out how and where to put ends on my intake to pressurize it will take some fiddling..

I think I will inspect all my connections and tighten my clamps but you know maybe it's time that I put some real T-bolt clamps on it instead of just hose clamps or maybe double hose clamp everything I can with what I have.. Now that I am going to be putting some real pressure into it..

I am actually more surprised that I haven't had any more major boost pipe blowouts than I have than I am surprised that it is probably leaking somewhere just a little only at high pressure..

I think I've only ever blew my TB connection and one after IC connection before the lower charge tube this whole time but both of those blew off good to where their was no question what happened..

I'm thinking about maybe selling my entire original FMIC setup to someone, mounts, piping, IC, BOV, maybe even the Trubo/compressor with it if needed, with instruction to where it would be about as bolt on of a kit as possible, and just make it all over again with upgraded components now that I know how to make it all happen..
Then they could upgrade it to T-bolts or whatever parts they want based on my copy..

It's not made out of expensive components but it holds up pretty well and my engineering might be worth a little something enough for me to buy whatever I need to make it again.. It would also be a very good start for someone to put it all together then upgrade what parts of it they would like to after they have a working system installed..

This exact intercooler fits like a dream and looks about as good as it can get from the front So I would just buy another one exactly like it..

I would rather pass my original prototype on to someone else as a working system they could then improve upon and make a whole new one myself rather than just have the original lost to the world replaced a piece at a time..

Maybe chuck21401 would be a good candidate to install it and give him a big jumpstart on tuning to get his car faster and safer..

Maybe I'm crazy..
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by your efforts but driven by my laziness i contemplated a plan to try to cure the bad fueling going on in my 924.

So what i'm going to try to do is take your idea that is already pretty simple and make it even simpler.

Here's what i'll try to do to my 924:

1. Uninstall WUR and throw it as far away as possible.
2. Use Passat B3 KE-Jetronic fuel distributor on the 924 AFM body.
3. Use Arduino to read the coolant temp resistor at the back of the 924 head.
4. Make Arduino run a neverending loop checking the coolant temp and adjusting the voltage that adjusts the control pressure so that i get the desired warm-up cycle to be reliable and also adjustable by software.

If the Arduino has two inputs i can later on read a MAP sensor and do a two input - one output function to inject a bit more fuel if needed.
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take a complete ke-jetronic system including the ecu?

There are also later ke-jetronic systems with lambda and knock input

Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tune the stock ECUs? IDK..

You can make an ECU out of an arduino I guess but I don't know anything about that.. It sure as shootin works with a MS ECU though..

If you get a KE head you don't need the WUR or FV anymore, just an ECU, maybe not even a cold start valve because you can make the ECU do that too..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done anything but drive it for a while.. I'm getting pretty confident in it to where I'm not staring at my AFR gauge all the time anymore..

Worst problems are that my "hollowed out" cat is rattling something terrible in there for some reason and I'm dreading cutting it open to try to fix it or whatever I'll have to do it make it solid again..

And it smells a bit like FUMES for a bit if I fill the tank right to the top or do some very hard cornering with a very full tank so something must be going on with that but it never drips anything I can find..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got pulled over again..

Asks me why I think he pulled me over, told him I have no idea ofcourse..

Tells me he pulled me over because of yesterday..
Supposedly yesterday afternoon he saw me "spin my tires" where I made a 2nd gear right hand turn onto another road..
And then he said that he got behind me as fast as he could and clocked me at 70 just as I went out of range of his radar..
And then he tried to pull me over but he couldn't catch up to me, something about "excessive speed" but I was out of radar range..
Said I disappeared infront of him and he couldn't catch me or find me last night I guess..

I think he is full of shit and I didn't admit to anything other than driving the car yesterday. I said I don't know anything about spinning my tires or "excessive speed"..

He was talking like it was "last night" but I told him the last time I went out was like 3pm yesterday which he changed his story to jive with..

I had no idea anything about any cops behind me yesterday so I was honestly all surprised about whatever he was talking about.. And very skeptical of his story..
I drove the Porsche to like 7 places yesterday, bunch of miles, saw a lot of state cops on the main road but no town cop..

He also gave me a talk along the lines of fleeing and alluding, running from the cops in my car, but I would really never do that and that's what I told him..
Not really accusing me of running but telling me I'd better not ever run from him if he tries pulling me over again..

The "yesterday" story was on the straight 55mph road to my house, also where he got behind me today..

He was behind me for like a mile at like 50-55 and I turned left onto my road, my drive is the 2nd one on the right.. He put his lights on just as I was about to my driveway so I pulled like 20 feet into the end of my driveway so they couldn't toe my car and to keep them out there away from my house, and away from my roaming dogs..

I was just on a test drive/rip screwing with my BOV so I didn't have my wallet on me so no drivers licence.. New cop tells me "That's an arrestable offence right there!"
That was right at the beginning and I almost got cocky with him, my old self coming out, not afraid to be arrested, but I refrained myself and just let him tell his fairy tale about arresting me for not having my ID on me..

He asked me "what should I do about you not having your license on you?" and I told him "Write down my name and DOB and go run it just like every other cop does every other time I get pulled over with no licence on me (chief chuckled)..

I told him my wallet is right there in the house, so I walked to the house real quick and grabbed it and came back out..
My paperwork is clean..

New town cop but he had the chief with him too, probably luckily. But I know the chief and he is cool with me..
Long story short I used to get into a lot of trouble back in the day, in jail a lot, lost my drivers licence for like 2 years, so he knows me well, and he is even the instructor I had for hunters safety way back in the day, and is friends with my GFs family..

Chief asked me where I have been hiding and I told him "staying out of trouble" lol..
He told me he was glad to see that I have been doing well and was surprised I even got my driverse licence back..

Chief pointed at my rear tires and around my wheel wells and said "Yeah you have been spinning them" to which I promptly replied "That was on private property" <which is actually the truth because I literally just got done 2nd gear drifting on "the skidpad" that is on private property..

I didn't tell him all that though, just "It was on private property" ended that conversation but he could totally tell that I was just spinning because my sidewalls are all freshly tore up and rubber stuck to the car n stuff.. Literally just did a cloud of smoke drift spinout in 2nd gear 5 miles before they got behind me..

At the end the new cop came and talked to me by himself about "what would you do if you were me?" and I told him "Well I'd probably be a little mad" and that I'm sorry for being bad whatever I did

Tells me he could arrest me for not having my license on me, could arrest me for spinning my tires, could arrest me for excessive speed and reckless driving, blah blah blah like he has a whole list of things to arrest me for..

I almost thought he was going to arrest me for a minute and was thinking about how it's going to suck not having a cigarette for a day or whatever until I get out of jail..
But in my head I was already thinking about fighting whatever ticket he would try on me because I thought/think that his whole "yesterday" story is bullshit so I wasn't really afraid of fines or whatever..

After all he asks me "Do you know what I'm going to do?", and I said "no"..

NOTHING - he says

"I'm not going to do anything" and I was all "awesome man thank you very much, I'm sorry for being bad whatever I did"

Chief probably saved my ass..

Not one word about my loud exhaust (straight pipe) or any problems with my car..

So I wait for them to leave before I start my car and pull all the way up to my house..

Changed my shirt real quick and took back off in the Porsche, went to the barber shop right next to the cop shop and parked right next to the cop shop, 10 minutes later..
I could only make an appointment for a hair cut which is too bad because I had a good fresh story to tell..

Pulling out I went through the circle drive between the barber and the police department, and pulled out of the police department parking lot..

Came home and wrote this story for you..

Porsche is still ripping every day bros! Runnin like a champ!
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up ! Spin them tires..otherwise the wheel dont turn and the car dont move
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out my Porsche insurance went up to $130 a month for the cheapest legal limit PLPD..

Finally had enough of that and did some shopping..
I got Esurance full coverage with a $500 deductible for $90 a month..

My driving record check and whatever credit check came back squeaky clean..

They wanted me to have some app on some smartphone that monitored my driving for some other discount.. Something about not going over 80mph and no hard braking..
I declined..
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

130 a month, that was optimistic. I pay like 174usd per year for full coverage, its an old car for quiet Sunday drives isnt it i don't think monitoring would help my price with this car, that's for sure..

What a story, like those douchebag cops you see in US movies. Wasn't sure it was like that for real
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 13 of 27

Jump to: