Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stage Next...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Getting some dyno time isn't a bad idea, you do the tuning and they just operate the dyno. But its always best to go there with a car that is as sorted as possible of course.

Its nice that you get time in the car, they really are fun. I wonder if the flap and bov interaction gives me fireball/bang when i lift after hard boost. I havent sorted that yet. Your lean spike looks strange thats for sure. What kind of bov do you run? Oem or ebay?

i hope the small stuff is possible to iron out, its a strange mix of mechanical and electronics you are playing with, it's fun to follow the process. Logging the air plate position would be ace!

The bov - https://www.ebay.com/itm/25mm-Bov-Aluminum-Dump-Valve-For-VW-beetle-Golf-1-8T-BOV-BLOW-OFF-VALVE-1-BOV/223560838545?hash=item340d43ad91:g:VrYAAOSwbqpTtWs1

I have also gotten a backfire a few times, like if I pull 2nd really hard to my speed and then wait the little bit to slip it into 4th to cruise or something..

If you look at the first 4 logs the first 2 with the BOV recirculating I get the huge lean spike when I let off, but the 3rd and 4th logs with the BOV open to atmo do not have the lean spike..
But that lean spike is at complete vacuum anyway, so as far as I know it is not dangerous at all..

The little bump spike that I circled in yellow, that one might be dangerous at too high of boost where the tolerances get more critical..

I messaged a dyno shop guy on facebook the other day, basically their only online presence, but I haven't heard back from them..

I got 3 connectors today that fit the airplate measuring terminals and spent too much money to restock on wire and connectors, so I've got the goods to do more wiring soon..

Darn wipers keep wiping randomly..

[QUOTE=fasteddie313;10526548]
Thinking about logging my airplate position to see if it has anything to do with my AFR logs..

I know Steve did it so it can be done but maybe he will tell me what wires to use so it will be super easy..[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Reanimotion;10526616]
I believe I used MAF/SpareADC2 on the microsquirt

wiring on the numbered sensor pins
pin1 = ground
pin3 = power -> 5v ref
pin2 = signal -> MAF/SpareADC2[/QUOTE]

Steve comes through like a boss!
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

OK, so I have that same problem too during first 20 minutes of driving the car. Goes away after that.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:
Fasteddie313 wrote:

OK, so I have that same problem too during first 20 minutes of driving the car. Goes away after that.

It's a common quirk on these cars I believe, like adjusting your electric mirrors may prime your fuel pump..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired up the air plate position sensor and went through some difficulty setting the MS up for it right but finally figured it out..

After all, that the darn sensor, it's like a circuit board some whiskers wipe cross to vary resistance, is cracked, and it's readings are no good..
So I ordered another one.. A whole $8 from China

I did the wiring for my IAT to relocate it in the same little subharness with this airplate position sensor, because it is going about a foot directly below the fuel distributor just after the exit of my FMIC.. Going to weld a bung into my IC pipe there but now I can't find my IAT sensor..

I did my last good tune when it was in the 70's outside, and with the IAT unplugged it reads 70, so it should be real close, but it has been in the 90's here all week and I can tell that it being hot out is making me run a bit richer than I was.. EGO control is keeping my cruise AFRs very nice still but I only have it on up to 100kpa and I'm dipping into the low 10s in boost again during the heat of the day..

Me and a very good friend bought this car together about 6 years ago but it became mine shortly after that.
I just did a decent size job on his Jetta and he was over yesterday so I took him for a ride.. We went and absolutely tore it up in the twisties. Got the back end a little loose boosting out of a 3rd gear corner.. Beat the ever loving crap out of the car yesterday and it all held together, nothing broke, and cruised about 5 miles back home in the high 14s right where it is supposed to be.. Had to stop at the gas station first tho, another $30 in premium..
Then we did some work on his Freightliner..

This car is getting to be amazing, it runs super well, and all of my crazy parts are holding up to some brutal punishment.. I keep a close eye on all my fuel lines especially, and have a mounted fire extinguisher in the car, but it hasn't leaked a drop..
It doesn't seem to have lost or burnt a drop of oil, no oil on my air filter or AFM so I have very minimal blowby (still running stock crank venting to my airbox)..

I'll be honest, the G31 Porsche trans with weak syncros is quite a challenge to drive well and drive smoothly but I am getting very good at it.. All that unsynchronized tranny truck driving has really paid off to give me the skills to operate this Porsche box well..
G31: So you think you can drive a stick?

Might try a different tranny fluid though because my LSD is a bit much.. It darn near doesn't slip at all and I don't want to hurt it..

I have been working on this car for 6 years and it's a great feeling to see that it has been worth so much of my time and not too small of an amount of money..
It totally blows the M3 away as far as fun to drive and is faster at everything, except shifting.. It's even more comfortable (Vaders aren't that comfy) and cruises at speed better..
Obviously the engine is not even on the same spectrum when it comes to smoothness though, they are about total opposites in that regard, and has much less power potential for a build but wow are those expensive to build..

Need to come up with an excuse to drive it to town here in a few..

How do you guys keep your milk and stuff from flying around in the rear hatch?
I need to make some sort of serious cargo security because this car is what goes to get the .. everything..
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the gearbox rebuilt with new 1st and 2nd synchros. Cheaper than buying new gear sets.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun winter project. I swapped 1-3 synchros and 1st dogring, was not that hard with the instructions floating around here. Its just taking out the box which is a pain. My g31 was nice to shift before that aswell, it has very few miles on i since new i guess. With the improved linkage and short shifter its really mega tight, really nice to shift

Ive only driven one car that was as fun and a bit sharper than my car, and almost bought one to expand the lineup, which was a opel speedster turbo/vx220T. Which is an elise variant. Otherwise alot of other cars feel quite boring in comparison, which is why i still have it, since 2006.
TJC  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff to read and even motivational!
I'll be needing to give some serious thought here in the not so distant future regarding the two sad 931 girls I picked up about six weeks ago and I'm getting a lot of good info from this thread and a few others so thanks to all for posting.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Great stuff to read and even motivational!
I'll be needing to give some serious thought here in the not so distant future regarding the two sad 931 girls I picked up about six weeks ago and I'm getting a lot of good info from this thread and a few others so thanks to all for posting.

Just so you know, you can do basically this same tuning setup pretty cheap with a regular US Lambda 931 Fuel Distributor, in theory good up to about 300hp, so you don't need to get crazy with it like I did..

If you need any replacement CIS stuff to get one of yours running, or just for testing, let me know because I have almost an entire good 931 CIS setup here in boxes..

Do you have a thread for your cars so we can brainstorm the best way to get one of them up and terrorizing?

Yes, the trans rebuild does sound like a good winter project.. Things like that are leaping up the priority list..

Driving in the rain today is fun..
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
you can do basically this same tuning setup pretty cheap with a regular US Lambda 931 Fuel Distributor

hmmm....
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Fasteddie313 wrote:
you can do basically this same tuning setup pretty cheap with a regular US Lambda 931 Fuel Distributor

hmmm....

Yeah, and even straight off a Microsquirt, so you don't need any special FrankenCIS parts at all other than the free software to run a lambda head..
TJC  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

Just so you know, you can do basically this same tuning setup pretty cheap with a regular US Lambda 931 Fuel Distributor, in theory good up to about 300hp, so you don't need to get crazy with it like I did..

If you need any replacement CIS stuff to get one of yours running, or just for testing, let me know because I have almost an entire good 931 CIS setup here in boxes..

Do you have a thread for your cars so we can brainstorm the best way to get one of them up and terrorizing?

I haven't started a thread yet as we haven't quite decided what we want to do with the cars as they're on the back burner for now. I basically wanted to snag them before the owner either decided to trash them more or send them off to scrap.

If I do build one of them up it may be the '80 as I think I would like to use that particular car and probably prefer the Porsche transaxle unit. I will determine what to do with the engine(s) once I have them both torn down. I would probably like to us the series two bits for higher compression although that's not etched in granite until I determine how crazy I want to get with the overall build. Both cars are 5 stud so that's a bit of a plus. One thing for sure is that I don't anticipate doing any competition style events so although a CGT/GTS clone isn't out of the question, a track/rally car is.

I may even do some parting out and if that happens my daughter and I may embark on a project together to convert one of them to electric power which would be a kick. We've been discussing that possibility and we both think it would be fun to work on together.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea to use both engines to make one with the best of both worlds and make the other car electric!

S2 engine with S1 ignition and turbo perhaps?

I don't know about which trans though.. The G31 in the 80 might be the choice to hold some massive torque of an electric motor if you are thinking about using a big one! I think the audi trans can probably hold a 931 engine fine but the G31 Porsche trans can hold about anything..

One thing that I thought about yesterday.. I have no reason to expect their to be anything but a stock clutch in my car, but it has not even threatened to slip as of yet from anything I have thrown at it so far..

Got my turn signals working today finally!!
Put my BOSCH sticker on..
Found my IAT sensor and have it hooked up as an ambient temp sensor for now under my front bumper, until I find a bung for it and weld it to one of my IC pipes.. IAT in the intake did not work at all due to heatsoak so I put the CSV back in it to plug the hole and am gonna put the IAT just after my IC..
IAT is my next priority..

I ordered a new airplate position sensor and am waiting on that..
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
One thing that I thought about yesterday.. I have no reason to expect their to be anything but a stock clutch in my car, but it has not even threatened to slip as of yet from anything I have thrown at it so far..

In last 10yrs Sachs 931/G31 clutch kit includes 911 pressure plate. Has 30% more clamping force than old 931 version. Will ensure more torques are harnessed versus slipping, especially when over 200bhp. Mine has not slipped in last 9yrs as bhp + torques has been rising. My issue in recent times has been R tyres not gripping without an LSD. With LSD going back in, it may put more workload into the clutch
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 100 miles today..

First I went to the banks in town and the hardware store and we were just about to go to a city to grocery shop and my mom calls me broke down in the Acura so I threw a tarp in the back of the Porsche, a floor jack, and a bunch of tools, and went and rescued the Acura, about 40 miles..

924 saves the broken Honda..

Then we went to the city and $300 in groceries fit under the cargo sun shade nicely.

https://youtu.be/zZryUQxY24M
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally..
That is directly out of my IC so it should give me the best post-IC IAT I can get with minimum heatsoak.. And it is directly on top..

It looks dirty but it's not.. It's just old diesel radiator pipe patina and is still half wet in the pic from me washing it out..

It is back together.. Just have to go test it with my laptop and stuff to make sure it is calibrated correctly still and working correctly..

andd.... Now I can do the finest of fine tuning to really set my base map tight and should be able to rely very little on any automatic AFR targeting adjusting my AFR slightly from my base map.. I guess??

I can't wait to log this IAT actually..
One thing I have been wondering is if I can idle like in traffic for a long time and get right into boost off the bat or if I need to have been moving for a bit to cool my IC off before it will work.. And see what my fans do to it.. etc. etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 11 of 27

Jump to: