Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Turbo Project - Rebuild & convert NA or a 924 Turbo engi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XLR8  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Turbo Project - Rebuild & convert NA or a 924 Turbo engi Reply with quote

I have a burnt exhaust valve, and a rear main seal leak on my NA.

So pulling the engine and attending to both at once (and some other stuff) seems the best way to go.

If she's out, probably best to

1) give her a freshen up and get her ready for a turbo conversion OR ....

2) Shall I just find an original Turbo engine and freshen that up?

What's best - a Turbo conversion on a refreshed NA engine, or a refreshed S1 or S2 Turbo engine?

Why?

Ultimate power goal would max out at 220-230hp as I don't want/need to change TT or gearbox.
peterld  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vexed question!
If you are going to modify the Toofah, then ideally go with the latest that's out there, rather than 30-40 yo technology.
Your current bottom end is already virtually a turbo: same block, same forged crank, same forged conrods. Some forged lower comp pistons would be sweet.

The cherry on top would be a nice turbo head - slightly better flow and it would be nice to get the spark plugs away from the exhaust! Then a modern turbo and intercooler to finish up. Lots of manufacturing of pipes and brackets though. The clincher is that it's difficult to find a good turbo head. Many have gone through extreme heat cycles in previous hands which in turn leads to softening of the metal on the exhaust side.

If it was me I'd take a different tack altogether........supercharging!
RC.....well known on this Board, and a former resident of your town, should be your go-to for further info on this. His application is exemplary!
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 924 turbo engine you must change the TT and gearbox.
For 220hp also you should change the TT and gearbox as the gears are too short and maybe wont last too much if you abuse it.

Cheapest and best way is to convert the NA to turbo and EFI.
XLR8  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually (given modification restrictions here) seeking more than about 220hp would be tough to get road registered.

As a result, I am leaning towards a refresh, and using the current 9.5:1(?) pistons and a small turbo to get to about that level.

Mustang clutch?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider nitrous?
XLR8  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrous is not legal for a road car here in Oz.

Also the car is to be focussed on the twisties. NA power would be preferable, but seems a bit too hard in comparison.
snakoil  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rebuilt my 2.0L NA and price creeps up quickly on things you would have never thought if you want a clean job.
You always end up saying: "while i'm there i might as well do..."
Regrind crankshaft, new main bearings, pistons rings, new clutch while at it, new engine mounts, replace old ruster wiring, rebuild alternator and starter while in there, CIS maintenance since it's currently out.

In the end I wish I would have taken the money and worked on a VW 1.8T conversion. Engines are plenty, repairs can be done in any shop, upgrades are easy. You have lots of option for a stand alone ECU and ready to use maps.
XLR8  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakoil wrote:
I just rebuilt my 2.0L NA and price creeps up quickly on things you would have never thought if you want a clean job.
You always end up saying: "while i'm there i might as well do..."
Regrind crankshaft, new main bearings, pistons rings, new clutch while at it, new engine mounts, replace old ruster wiring, rebuild alternator and starter while in there, CIS maintenance since it's currently out.

In the end I wish I would have taken the money and worked on a VW 1.8T conversion. Engines are plenty, repairs can be done in any shop, upgrades are easy. You have lots of option for a stand alone ECU and ready to use maps.

Hmm, I know this is what is going to happen ....
Juho  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am doing a efi and turbo conversion atm. What exhaust manifold are you planning to use?
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would he need to swap gearbox and tt for 220 hp??

Pieter (DutchPug) had around 400 hp with stock 924 tt and gearbox..

And also, 1.8T engine swap is nonsense as it a) will not be cheap, b) in stock configuration it is a weak engine, c)it will be gutless below 4000 rpm with aby turbo that flows 400+ hp worth of air.
Plus it won't have the same 924 factor anymore.
I do not speak from guess, I have turbocharged several 924's over the years and also have modified 1.8T engines wuite a bit.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
vdub6v  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: BEA Turbo kit Reply with quote

I was presented with a BEA turbo kit. My 1980 NA 2.0L is pretty solid and I should leave good enough alone. It's really not practical to look at a turbo option on this motor unless you plan to change the internals for lower compression correct?

40 year old motor will probably remain NA.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BEA Turbo kit Reply with quote

vdub6v wrote:
I was presented with a BEA turbo kit. My 1980 NA 2.0L is pretty solid and I should leave good enough alone. It's really not practical to look at a turbo option on this motor unless you plan to change the internals for lower compression correct?

40 year old motor will probably remain NA.

No, it can take some serious boost mostly stock but needs an intercooler to go along with any turbo..
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: BEA Turbo kit Reply with quote

vdub6v wrote:

Depends on your fuel availability and engine management, if you perhaps have E85 in your area, golden!
Not a must to change compression, not sure what you got in your engine, might be lower than euro 9.3 so even better then.
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Project - Rebuild & convert NA or a 924 Turbo Reply with quote

XLR8 wrote:
I have a burnt exhaust valve, and a rear main seal leak on my NA.

So pulling the engine and attending to both at once (and some other stuff) seems the best way to go.

If she's out, probably best to

1) give her a freshen up and get her ready for a turbo conversion OR ....

2) Shall I just find an original Turbo engine and freshen that up?

What's best - a Turbo conversion on a refreshed NA engine, or a refreshed S1 or S2 Turbo engine?

Why?

Ultimate power goal would max out at 220-230hp as I don't want/need to change TT or gearbox.

The turbo head is slightly better, I'm not sure its so much better that i warrants the cost on a turbo conversion.
Both engines would probably need new pistons, bottom end is super strong otherwise.
Start with another NA engine (they are so cheap) on the side then swap it out when you are ready.
XLR8  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally sorted. The oil leak was so minor that I had a (not "the") head reconditioned and swapped it over. Car runs like a champ now.

The flipside is I have a bottom end and a couple of spare heads sitting ready for me to build into something special.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: